If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

A nice contrast to Bartók: some Ghetto rap about hope.

...Hallowed be Thy name in the beginning there was no sin
We in the ninth inning, and I'm God body trying to win
Flying against the wind
But now my shell is weightless and fireproof
But the truth is I'm proof of living fire
I'm not made of organics, not even wires
Just felt my body light up and heard the choir
See, to the common fowl the phoenix is sire
Most high of all things to ever have wings
Existence is struggle, resistance is futile
Meanwhile we now possess the power of ten suns
To transcend and elevate into one
Famine, the disease and senseless dying is done
Pigeon bird got a breath left
Heart beat no more
Phoenix bird morph and we live off the G-force...

Reminds me for some reason of a Wallace Stevens poem...

"Of Mere Being"

The palm at the end of the mind,
Beyond the last thought, rises
In the bronze decor,
A gold-feathered bird
Sings in the palm, without human meaning,
Without human feeling, a foreign song.
You know then that it is not the reason
That makes us happy or unhappy.
The bird sings. Its feathers shine.
The palm stands on the edge of space.
The wind moves slowly in the branches.
The bird’s fire-fangled feathers dangle down.

U

User.45

Reminds me for some reason of a Wallace Stevens poem...

"Of Mere Being"

The palm at the end of the mind,
Beyond the last thought, rises
In the bronze decor,
A gold-feathered bird
Sings in the palm, without human meaning,
Without human feeling, a foreign song.
You know then that it is not the reason
That makes us happy or unhappy.
The bird sings. Its feathers shine.
The palm stands on the edge of space.
The wind moves slowly in the branches.
The bird’s fire-fangled feathers dangle down.
It's the fire-fangled feathers. Nice poem, BTW with some clever way to depersonalize the reader ("without human meaning" when it's full of meaning).

The backstory on Can Ox is these guys dropped an electronic rap album a good decade before it became cool and they purposefully rapped about poverty, depression, and sense of worthlessness. Result? One of the best 5 rap albums ever made. Also obscurity.
Phoenix is a reprise on the theme of feeling like pigeons in NY.

"Birds of the same feather flock together
Congested on a majestic street corner
That's a short time goal for most of 'em
Cuz most of 'em would rather expand their wings and hover over greater things
That's what we call inspired flight
By the pigeons that gotta eat pizza crust every night
And "Let there be light" was understood
When a mic-stand descended from up-and-above into the hood
And if my face is worth a thousand words when it's scarred
I would only hope that two of those are cocoa and butter
To heal the wounds
Of the tissue scarred to mark the death of my womb
But I've graduated, got my wings
And you've got to let go of my constructed Lego egg-o-waffle halo
Eh yo, I'm a black man, with an African
Drum in my chest that beats on the opposite of the right
Let me know I got a breath left
In this frigid fragile capsule
That allows you to fly south before the winter winds trap you
I wrap my "hell I made it" wetsuit stitch
So I can swim in elevators crazy wet through piss
I'm just a pigeon with one mile left
That doggy-paddles through this bullshit ocean of death
And these rags-to-riches words will break bones
Like the assassination of two birds with one stone
That's why I don't associate with bird brains with their beaks in the air
Pelicans with wide jaws yap names
For fish heads you'll get tossed in the flames
Where some archaeologists will find your skeletal frame
I'm just a pigeon"

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Goodbye Lenin - Yann Tiersen (title track from the sundtrack of Goodbye Lenin; Summer 78 was also played), as was the rest of the CD.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
La Valse Des Monstres - Yann Tiersen (from the album La Valse Des Monstres, and also from the sundtrack of Amélie, it was used as a track in that movie; I have both).

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Wow, I definitely had to look that guy up (not Lenin lol)... somehow never heard of him!

He is an exceptionally accomplished (and moody) musician and composer from Brittany (hence, the name Yann, rather than Jean).

His claim to fame (well, his initial claim to fame) is that he wrote the soundtrack of the movie Amélie (which comprises many of the tracks from his first three albums).

Brilliant stuff; indeed, - and my mother also loved his music - we went to see Amélie together in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it; I also had the privilege of hearing him him play live, and dear old Mother loved it, too, as I brought her to that concert.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Wow, I definitely had to look that guy up (not Lenin lol)... somehow never heard of him!
He's the favorite composer of one of my best friends I used to make music with. For some reason I never delved into his music, even though I like piano pieces like this.

For some reason I prefer extremes when it comes to piano. Either shifting time signatures, or minimalism like this:
(from the soundtrack of Antonio Banderas' movie, El Camino De Los Ingleses [english title is a little to plain: Summer Rain]).

U

User.45

He is an exceptioally accomplished (and moody) musician and composer from Brittany (hence, the name Yann, rather than Jean).

His claim to fame (well, his initial claim to fame) is that he wrote the soundtrack of the movie Amélie (which comprises many of the tracks of his first three albums).

Brilliant stuff; indeed, - and my mother also loved his music - we went to see Amélie together in the cinema - I also had the privilege of hearing him him play live, and dear old Mother loved it, too, as I brought her to that concert.
I wonder what my perception about Amélie would be these days. I've seen it 19 years ago and loved it. Interestingly I still like most of the same stuff my teenage self did, but my perceptions changed so much with fatherhood. Like lost in translation, I love the soundtrack just as much (maybe more), and love the movie just as much, but I see the characters completely differently.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
He's the favorite composer of one of my best friends I used to make music with. For some reason I never delved into his music, even though I like piano pieces like this.

For some reason I prefer extremes when it comes to piano. Either shifting time signatures, or minimalism like this:
(from the soundtrack of Antonio Banderas' movie, El Camino De Los Ingleses [english title is a little to plain: Summer Rain]).

I have to say that I love his earlier stuff (I won't deny that some of his later music became rather self-indulgent): I had forgotten how good it is.

The soundtrack to Amélie is superb.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I wonder what my perception about Amélie would be these days. I've seen it 19 years ago and loved it. Interestingly I still like most of the same stuff my teenage self did, but my perceptions changed so much with fatherhood. Like lost in translation, I love the soundtrack just as much (maybe more), and love the movie just as much, but I see the characters completely differently.

I still think that the opening half hour of Amélie is as funny, barbed, bitter-sweet, but still very funny, (the section covering her childhood) as anything I have ever seen on screen.

(The scene where she is on the roof, those steeply slanted Parisian roof-tops, a determined child, busily tweaking the TV aerial of her unpleasant neighbour so that he cannot watch football on TV, is hilarious).

Last edited:

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I always dig stuff from Karen O, especially when she did stuff as part of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs—I often drove very fast to songs from Gold Lion just hammering at my speakers—but this little jam with Danger Mouse has been in my head all week.

It reminds me of a period when I was working night shifts, and I'd head out of work as the sun rose, and drive around the city in the early morning. And, I had this old Jeep with no heat, so the inside of the top would be covered in frost, and I'd just freeze my ass off until the engine warmed up the cabin.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of a period when I was working night shifts, and I'd head out of work as the sun rose, and drive around the city in the early morning. And, I had this old Jeep with no heat, so the inside of the top would be covered in frost, and I'd just freeze my ass off until the engine warmed up the cabin.

Carbq!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I always dig stuff from Karen O, especially when she did stuff as part of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs—I often drove very fast to songs from Gold Lion just hammering at my speakers—but this little jam with Danger Mouse has been in my head all week.

Ah, yes.

Danger Mouse; I must that that I am most partial to their music.

Top Bottom
1 2