If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I always dig stuff from Karen O, especially when she did stuff as part of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs—I often drove very fast to songs from Gold Lion just hammering at my speakers—but this little jam with Danger Mouse has been in my head all week.

It reminds me of a period when I was working night shifts, and I'd head out of work as the sun rose, and drive around the city in the early morning. And, I had this old Jeep with no heat, so the inside of the top would be covered in frost, and I'd just freeze my ass off until the engine warmed up the cabin.

Karen O, sí... Gold Lion is so fine. First time I heard it was on an iTune Sessions release. I'm also a fan of assorted tracks on Yeah Yeah Yeah's Show Your Bones and It's Blitz! albums. The son of one of my friends worked for awhile in a studio the band used to rehearse in. He said he'd have worked there for free and lived on the street to hang onto that job except for needing the money to pay for school.

VW bug took the first ten miles of back road adventures to start putting out heat on the way back to the city during winters when I was still a weekend commuter. So much frost I'd be scrubbing the inside of the windshield with a scrubby sponge and a washrag... the elkhound in the back seat was covered in an old army blanket and if I looked in the rear view I could see her looking at me like "why are we doing this again?" and she was wearing a fur coat under that blanket. At my earliest opportunity I moonlighted on a side project to get the money up for a ride that would at least defrost the windshield in the driveway.

Today is all sparkly from sun on some fresh snowfall so I'm back to Mozart piano concertos. Currently No. 23 in A Major, K. 488, one of a series performed and conducted by Murray Perahia with the English Chamber Orchestra.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few (CDs now on my iTunes library and my mp3 player) from Danger Mouse (and other artists):

Dark Night of the Soul, and Rome.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few albums from the Greek composer and songwriter Manos Hadjidakis (sometimes written Manos Xatzidakis):

Dekapente Esperinoi and Giaconda's Smile.

lizkat

Reaction score
Seriously?

It is a beautiful album; I've had it a number of years - it might have been a Christmas (or a birthday) gift from a brother.

Seriously. 969 USD... way past my pay grade for sure!

yeah seriously.jpg

Apple Music has one called Pasión de México: Traditional Mexican Mariachi, Bolero & More. That I can manage thanks to the monthly AM sub.

Some of it reminds me of the lively and sentimental music of the bands one could hire inexpensively in the federal district in Mexico back in the early 60s. The wannabe-boyfriends of my Mexican exchange student sisters used to get a band to come and play boleros or mariachi offerings under the windows of our bedrooms in the late evening sometimes. Their papá would let the mariachis go on for awhile but if they were playing any of the slower and romantically supercharged flamenco-oriented boleros, then mamá would say enough already! after only a few songs-- and he would go turn on the porch light and they would melt away into the side streets.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

View attachment 3663

Apple Music has one called Pasión de México: Traditional Mexican Mariachi, Bolero & More. That I can manage thanks to the monthly AM sub.

Some of it reminds me of the lively and sentimental music of the bands one could hire inexpensively in the federal district in Mexico back in the early 60s. The wannabe-boyfriends of my Mexican exchange student sisters used to get a band to come and play boleros or mariachi offerings under the windows of our bedrooms in the late evening sometimes. Their papá would let the mariachis go on for awhile but if they were playing any of the slower and romantically supercharged flamenco-oriented boleros, then mamá would say enough already! after only a few songs-- and he would go turn on the porch light and they would melt away into the side streets.

Yes, that is the album sleeve.

A lovely album.

Currently, I'm listening to Telegraph Road by Dire Straits.

lizkat

Reaction score
Only one left, had to order it quick!

Yeah right... o_O and at the going price, the album title should be "...songs of BUDGET-BREAKING passion..."

Another brilliant sun-on-snow day here, my favorite time of year for cutting fabrics: the studio is lit from without all day long. At the moment my music of choice is Bach preludes and fugues from the 2nd volume of the Well Tempered Clavier, Angela Hewitt the performer. Here is video of her live performance of #18 in g# minor, BWV 887.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

View attachment 3663

Having read your post, I had to unearth this treasure; and yes, (following a hunt - I have a great many CDs), I found it. The very same CD.

Good grief.

While (in the days - pay grade, indeed - when I was generously remunerated for I worked abroad and received both hazard pay and a decent per diem daily allowance on top of an already rather good salary), I did (after much thought, much thought, and no small amount of internal debate) splash out and pay well over $50 for a CD by Marcello Giombini (the soundtrack to Sabata, for, on it, there is one track that I really loved), I could never conceive of spending such an amount on a CD, irrespective of how flush with funds I was (or am).

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Having read your post, I had to unearth this treasure; and yes, (following a hunt - I have a great many CDs), I found it. The very same CD.

Good grief.

While (in the days - pay grade, indeed - when I was generously remunerated for I worked abroad and received both hazard pay and a decent per diem daily allowance on top of an already rather good salary), I did (after much thought, much thought, and no small amount of internal debate) splash out and pay well over $50 for a CD by Marcello Giombini (the soundtrack to Sabata, for, on it, there is one track that I really loved), I could never conceive of spending such an amount on a CD, irrespective of how flush with funds I was (or am).

Well I don't know how much stock I'd put in the Amazon pricetags that land on out of print items (books, CDs etc) when in-stock lands at 1 and there's still some demand for it. Who knows how they arrive at that info and then at a price for such things?!

But if enough people happen to notice it and have that item, what usually happens is more used copies get offered through the third party seller route at Amazon, and then the price comes down again. Might not be the case for that particular CD though. And remastering it for a digital release could be problematic due to rights-holder issues, so it's possible that price reflects true scarcity of that CD as a new (unused) product. Even the one used copy Amazon offers currently does have a price similar to that of the unused one.

Today I'm back on a blues kick, currently listening to the Front Porch Sessions album (2017) by the blues trio goes by name of Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band. Stripped down rural blues in the style of 20s and 30s delta blues by way of southern Indiana.

album art Rev.Peyton's Big Damn Band Front Porch Sessions.jpg

U

User.45

My summer vacation theme song. Other than the instrumentation/engineering, I'd hate every individual element of this song, but blended together this is just pure fun.

Top Bottom
1 2