If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Astonishing: I cannot understand how (or why) I haven't listened to Dead Can Dance in an age.

The fact that I have their music in albums (LPs) rather than CDs is - doubtless - one reason.

Anyway, I am currently listening to Windfall and Xavier from the (brilliant) album Within The Realm Of The Dying Sun. Superb stuff.

U

User.45

I grew up in the middle of the techno craze and I really hated the shit that used to be spun in clubs...
...then came my postdoc and it's just really a fantastic way to experience the flow while analyzing data.
Floating Points is one of my all-time-favorites. He's a classically trained musician who got into producing techno while working on his PhD in neuroscience at UCL. As far as I recall, he dropped out eventually to pursue electro as a career because his projects didn't pan out, but man he really understands this mind state. When you spend a month analyzing stuff then in the final run of the data, patterns emerge and the world starts making a little more sense.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Terry Oldfield: In Search Of The Trojan Wars (which was the soundtrack to the superb TV series of the same name by Michael Wood).

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The Wrong Road - (courtesy of the Australian group) The Go-Betweens, taken from their album of the mid 1980s Liberty Belle And The Black Diamond Express.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Purcell's baroque opera Dido and Aeneas -- Catherine Bott, Dame Emma Kirkby, John Mark Ainsley, David Thomas, countertenor Michael Chance and other soloists; chorus and orchestra of The Academy Of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood (1994).

The thunder-machine, although well enough engineered, seems intrusive in a performance otherwise done with period instruments, but aside from that, I really like this performance.

Purcell - Dido and Aeneas.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Purcell's baroque opera Dido and Aeneas -- Catherine Bott, Dame Emma Kirkby, John Mark Ainsley, David Thomas, countertenor Michael Chance and other soloists; chorus and orchestra of The Academy Of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood (1994).

The thunder-machine, although well enough engineered, seems intrusive in a performance otherwise done with period instruments, but aside from that, I really like this performance.

Having taken part in a performance of this with period instruments, I’m guessing their thunder machine was similar to ours: made of materials available at the time and based on what they knew of such machines at the time. I remember the sound of it being raucous, to say the least.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
The soundtrack of "Beneath the 12 Mile Reef", a 1950s movie about competing commercial fishermen. The movie was barely mediocre, but the Bernard Herrmann score elevates itself way above the level of the film.

It wouldn't have probably even come to my attention, except I discovered that several wonderful tracks from Lost in Space actually came from this movie. Anybody who remembers John Robinson flying with the rocket belt will remember the accompanying theme.

Top Bottom
1 2