If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The three piano sonatas of Beethoven's Opus 31, performed by Alfred Brendel. There's a Decca compilation of Brendel's performances of Beethoven's sonatas and concertos for piano that I've been sampling lately.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I have a CD of theirs with about 50 little dance tracks, would that be one of them? I got it after watching one of the Elizabeth movies that Cate Blanchett had acted in, the music for things like the volte and gailliarde were wonderful.

That may be the CD I have; it is quite lovely.

It is called Renaissance Dance Music and is by Ulsamer Collegium, and, since you have reminded me of it - I have quite a lot of Renaissance music - I am listening to it, now, as I write.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No More Heroes, Golden Brown, Walk On By, Waltzinblack, Strange Little Girl, and La Folie, (among others) by The Stranglers.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Madness:

One Step Beyond, Night Boat To Cairo, My Girl, Baggy Trousers, Embarrassment, Grey Day, Shut Up, Our House, House of Fun, It Must Be Love, The Sun And The Rain, Driving In My Car, and Tomorrow's Just Another Day.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
For the last 37 years I thought The Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cop was sung by a black female vocalist...until I was prompted to look it up. :oops: Glen Fry (Eagles fame)...

lizkat

Reaction score
For the last 37 years I thought The Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cop was sung by a black female vocalist...until I was prompted to look it up. :oops: Glen Fry (Eagles fame)...

Frey was an amazing contributor of lyrics to the Eagles' offerings... loved his wisecrack on tour of "Hell Freezes Over" about how the band hadn't broken up, they had simply taken a 14-year vacation.

For me this morning it has been JS Bach's French Suites. Rollicking or serene, it's all "in there" no matter which one is selected. So much the better to play them all... Today I'm listening to Murray Perahia's takes on these tracks, but I also like Angela Hewitt's performances.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Frey was an amazing contributor of lyrics to the Eagles' offerings... loved his wisecrack on tour of "Hell Freezes Over" about how the band hadn't broken up, they had simply taken a 14-year vacation.

For me this morning it has been JS Bach's French Suites. Rollicking or serene, it's all "in there" no matter which one is selected. So much the better to play them all... Today I'm listening to Murray Perahia's takes on these tracks, but I also like Angela Hewitt's performances.

Have you any pieces you can recommend with the viola da gamba?

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A very well-known piece that I’ve sung a number of times with a viola da gamba player:

Geduld from the St. Matthew Passion by Bach.

Thanks a million, much appreciated.

I came across Les Voix Humaines by Jordi Savall (well, originally by Marin Marais), and thought it superb.

lizkat

Reaction score
Tracks from Sonic Youth's 2006 album Rather Ripped. This one is Turquoise Boy.

And more from Sonic Youth... late 2006 own-label release, the track featured below is an all-time favorite of mine, called Blink. The album is titled The Destroyed Room. Cover art is a photograph by that name done in 1978 by Canadian artist Jeff Wall.

Top Bottom
1 2