If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Music of Debussy this morning. Here the Passepied from the Suite Bergamesque. Jorge Viladoms Weber the pianist. Lot of arguments over the years about the correct tempo for this piece. To me this is just about right. I could listen to this guy all day anyway and his interpretations of Debussy often seem effortless, but if you listen to a lot of other takes on the Bergamesque Passepied movement, then you can really appreciate the work that goes into Weber's performance.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to start a “streaming music” thread but since this exists, I have an urgent question.

Spotify: For the fucking love a’ god, why doesn’t my Discovery Weekly playlist update? It’s been the same for two months.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Having just recently seen “North By Northwest”, I’ve been listening to the score by the great Bernard Herrmann.

I’m unique among my friends in that I’m very into movie and TV scores.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Nessun Dorma (this stupid spell-check insisted that I wanted to write "Nissan") - the song Nessun Dorma, from the open Turandot by Puccini sung by the late, great Luciano Pavarotti.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was going to start a “streaming music” thread but since this exists, I have an urgent question.

Spotify: For the fucking love a’ god, why doesn’t my Discovery Weekly playlist update? It’s been the same for two months.

Is that a playlist you curate with different podcasts, or a single podcast (and episodes)?

If it's the latter, is it an open subscription? i.e., can you sub in the Apple podcast app just to confirm operation?

I love podcasts, I listen to quite a few, a few on film/TV, some show specific, a few general interview, several tech/science, pop culture, some political/news.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is that a playlist you curate with different podcasts, or a single podcast (and episodes)?

If it's the latter, is it an open subscription? i.e., can you sub in the Apple podcast app just to confirm operation?

I love podcasts, I listen to quite a few, a few on film/TV, some show specific, a few general interview, several tech/science, pop culture, some political/news.
Discovery Weekly is supposed to automatically update every Monday with stuff that appeals to you. I’ve contacted them through Twitter, but they aren’t being super helpful. Gonna get into it more tomorrow.

I love podcasts also. My fave has to be How Did This Get Made?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, it's like a special playlist based on topics, etc., that's pretty cool. I don't [regularly] use Spotify, so I don't have a good debugging starting point (i.e., my input is worthless :D)

How Did This Get Made? is good, my favorite general film pod is probably The Big Picture, Sean Fennessey is good, he shows up on some other faves (on The Ringer network) like The Rewatchables, I like Chris Ryan quite a bit too, he's on a few Ringer pods, and his own show, with Andy Greenwald, The Watch (TV review/analysis) is usually very good.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few tracks from REM: Lotus, E-Bow The Letter, Bittersweet Me, Losing My Religion, Everybody Hurts, Bang and Blame among others.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
And, I am now listening to - have now graduated to - Seal:

Prayer For The Dying; Kiss From A Rose; Crazy; Fly Like An Eagle; Future Love Paradise; Bring It On; Show Me; and Don't Cry.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Twitter went a little nuts today for awhile over some tweet that Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is an exemplar of elitist, exclusive, classist music. I decided not to explore at that particular time why the New York Philharmonic apparently was engaged in this conversation (or a podcast that was the basis of the conversation). I may look that up later when I'm more in the mood for such a discussion. However, I decided that I felt badly for ol' Ludwig, who is not around to defend his composition, and so I have been listening to assorted performances of that symphony tonight. I don't really care if it's elitist. It's ripping good music.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Twitter went a little nuts today for awhile over some tweet that Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is an exemplar of elitist, exclusive, classist music. I decided not to explore at that particular time why the New York Philharmonic apparently was engaged in this conversation (or a podcast that was the basis of the conversation). I may look that up later when I'm more in the mood for such a discussion. However, I decided that I felt badly for ol' Ludwig, who is not around to defend his composition, and so I have been listening to assorted performances of that symphony tonight. I don't really care if it's elitist. It's ripping good music.

I don’t get this at all. If you want to be mad at a composer for their beliefs, start with Wagner and you can have enough to complain about for a lifetime. Beethoven’s 5th has surpassed whatever expectations anybody could have for a piece of music, and thanks to modern technology, you don’t need a massive orchestra every time you want to hear it. You just need a pair of headphones and a cell phone.

Top Bottom
1 2