Ilhan Omar to introduce articles of impeachment

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Because it’s funny. Are you not aware of her and Trump?
The definition I’m aware of ”that’s rich” indicates that it’s not a fair criticism or statement, based on who is saying it. This is usually because the accuser did the same thing they are accusing somebody else of.

I fail to see how it applies to Ilhan Omar, who, to my knowledge, has never incited a mob of people to storm the Capitol, nor called state officials to convince them to throw out votes in an election. I think the impeachment is for one or both of those crimes...?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Meanwhile my congressman is on board. His eyes are not blue, probably more like bloodshot from reading a shed ton of email including from me, just in case his own assessment of Trump was not sufficient to convince him to back removal or impeachment and removal... which I think he already favored.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1347276534600634371/

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
The definition I’m aware of ”that’s rich” indicates that it’s not a fair criticism or statement, based on who is saying it. This is usually because the accuser did the same thing they are accusing somebody else of.

I fail to see how it applies to Ilhan Omar, who, to my knowledge, has never incited a mob of people to storm the Capitol, nor called state officials to convince them to throw out votes in an election. I think the impeachment is for one or both of those crimes...?

That’s rich means it’s entertainment as well. Stop reading into things, you’re not good at it. Stay on topic.

lizkat

Reaction score

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
That’s rich means it’s entertainment as well. Stop reading into things, you’re not good at it. Stay on topic.
Anything else you want to say about what I am good or bad at? That has nothing to do with the topic.

Last edited:
U

User.45

How this for on topic... Chair of the House Judiciary, Jerrold Nadler, says to skip his committee and bring impeachment articles directly to the floor. The House will have to be recalled to do this so it won't happen today. But it will speed things up.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1347317194321928194/

No wonder the video Trump just posted to his Twitter account was so studiously conciliatory. Little late there Donnie.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1347334804052844550/
What a gorgeous fountain of sonic diarrhea.
#ITAKENORESPONSIBILITY

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Nope. Only that I think it’s funny Omar is the author. I doubt it’s any coincidence.
I don‘t think it’s funny, and can’t figure out what supposedly makes it funny. But if somebody has to explain a joke, it’s no longer funny anyway, so we’ll just say I don’t get it.

lizkat

Reaction score
It sounds possible if the they really push, but they can also do it after he's gone. The biggest benefit is that if they choose to convict he can never be president again, ruling out any future run.

They can pass it in the House in a single session if they decide to take Nadler up on skipping Judiciary Committee and present the articles directly to a floor vote. On the Senate side, McConnell will not be deciding how a trial would go.

Even if he were, he's not the same Mitch ran the last trial hand in hand with the White House. All the toady is gone.

It would be another colossal waste of time and money.

The cost of printing up the impeachment articles and having a vote of them would end up like the cost of printing up a resolution to change part of the name of a highway to honor a fallen member of the military or a state trooper.

In the Senate, a little different. I bet not very much different though. Trump has dishonored his party, no question. One can question how much honor was left thanks to their enabling or complicit behavior, but yesterday was different and everyone in government knows that... including the VP and cabinet members who are too chicken to do what they should have done by 6am this morning, just remove him for incapacity to serve and be done with it, let chips fly where they may for four days and then another 21 by which time Biden will have become President.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
They can pass it in the House in a single session if they decide to take Nadler up on skipping Judiciary Committee and present the articles directly to a floor vote. On the Senate side, McConnell will not be deciding how a trial would go.

Even if he were, he's not the same Mitch ran the last trial hand in hand with the White House. All the toady is gone.

The cost of printing up the impeachment articles and having a vote of them would end up like the cost of printing up a resolution to change part of the name of a highway to honor a fallen member of the military or a state trooper.

In the Senate, a little different. I bet not very much different though. Trump has dishonored his party, no question. One can question how much honor was left thanks to their enabling or complicit behavior, but yesterday was different and everyone in government knows that... including the VP and cabinet members who are too chicken to do what they should have done by 6am this morning, just remove him for incapacity to serve and be done with it, let chips fly where they may for four days and then another 21 by which time Biden will have become President.
Would an impeachment also prevent Trump from running for office in the future?

U

User.45

I can actually see this as an opportunity for the R's to eliminate much of Trump's influence on the party. It would be costly for them short term, but probably would keep them afloat on the long run.

lizkat

Reaction score
Would an impeachment also prevent Trump from running for office in the future?

No. Conviction and removal on impeachment article(s) is what may trigger that, but only if the Senate also votes specifically to disquality the person from running again for office. Or at least that is how it has been interpreted.

There's a guy in Florida, a Democrat who while on the federal bench was impeached (by Democrats) on perjury and bribery, was convicted and removed in 1989 by the Senate on some of the counts, but he was not precluded from running for office. He ran for and won a seat in Congress in 1992 and still serves there now.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States…

iLunar

Power User
Reaction score
I can actually see this as an opportunity for the R's to eliminate much of Trump's influence on the party. It would be costly for them short term, but probably would keep them afloat on the long run.

If they're smart, this offers them a tremendous re-branding opportunity. Mitch and Lindsay are probably working this out right now.

Top Bottom
1 2