Ilhan Omar to introduce articles of impeachment

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
Maybe if she were Norwegian and asked him to resign he'd buy into it? He wanted more Norwegians in here for some reason. I am not sure it was a reason that either Norway or Norwegians or Norwegian-Americans had signed off on though.

And Trump probably didn't expect a Norwegian-American would ever ask him to resign or face impeachment. I also bet Trump doesn't know that Somalians are the largest African migration group among Norwegian immigrants.

Be fun to try to round up a Norwegian-Somali-American to support the impeachment articles. The night is still young.
Fun fact, even the Norwegian nutjob member of parliament who nominates Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize every year is now calling for him to resign. Also, here is a Swedish-American explaining what Scandinavians think about Trump.

U

User.45

Fun fact, even the Norwegian nutjob member of parliament who nominates Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize every year is now calling for him to resign. Also, here is a Swedish-American explaining what Scandinavians think about Trump.

I'm really curious how the middle eastern events will unfold once Trump's gone. It was hilarious to see how Netanyahu distanced himself from him the first moment he could:D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I think more and more the truth will emerge that this was an inside job with the Capitol Police, but they failed to prolong the certification. Now that Biden is certified, Trump has very few options, which is why the video of him saving face came out. He's trying to buy time. I really hope the powers that be are a few steps ahead of Trump and any kind of insurgents. Scary times. IMO, he needs to be removed from office immediately.

And I think there's likely to be a Congressional inquiry. At least there better be. It's time to clean house of insurgents in police departments across the country.

There's going to be a lot distractions in the coming days like Betsy Devos resigning – why? She was done anyway. She's doing it to eat up a headline. Her and her Blackwater/Haliburton private army family are knee deep in Trump waste. She's not resigning out of the goodness of her heart.

I know I'm being paranoid, but these last four years have really brought to light what Margerat Atwood wrote about how quickly fascism can spread: "So, no guarantees. No guarantees that things aren’t going to go tits up, quite rapidly.”

I think it's important to keep shining a light and not be pacified by resignations and people jumping ship. We need to get to the heart of every deplorable and expose their actions. Every behind-the-scenes maneuver by the Trump admin needs to be looked at, documented and countered with law.

(This is a good read: ‘Things can change a lot faster than you think,’ says Margaret Atwood, author of ‘The Handmaid's Tale’)

One of the reasons the WSJ ran its piece about how trump should step down because it's the cleanest option is concern for the USA viewed as a safe place for foreign investment. No place run by a fascist lunatic is a safe place for foreign investment, and media are picking up statements that --stripped of their corporate caution-- are raising alarms in Washington and so in the markets about the hundreds of thousand American jobs at the mercy of multinational corporations' decisions on where best to grow their business and bottom lines.

Sure impeachment, conviction and removal are an option if a 25A removal is not feasible. They do take time and some days are both shorter and longer than others lately, aren't they.

Meanwhile though and to the point of the WSJ piece suggesting that Trump just step down already, the concern is essentially uncertainty, which markets and their underpinnings --brick and mortar companies with real CEOs and asset prices-- do not like. And so of course it does not help that there are still members of Congress (including even Senators, namely Hawley and Cruz) playing to Trump's base for their own future prospects, so that adds to the wonderment if there is more unrest ahead. This is American jobs at stake here and we have morons talking about staging a fucking civil war...

Not unrelated to that are suggestions by Senator Coons and others that Hawley and Cruz resign from the Senate since they seem still to be trying to thread a needle with Trump's base for their own ends.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons the WSJ ran its piece about how trump should step down because it's the cleanest option is concern for the USA viewed as a safe place for foreign investment. No place run by a fascist lunatic is a safe place for foreign investment, and media are picking up statements that --stripped of their corporate caution-- are raising alarms in Washington and so in the markets about the hundreds of thousand American jobs at the mercy of multinational corporations' decisions on where best to grow their business and bottom lines.

Sure impeachment, conviction and removal are an option if a 25A removal is not feasible. They do take time and some days are both shorter and longer than others lately, aren't they.

Meanwhile though and to the point of the WSJ piece suggesting that Trump just step down already, the concern is essentially uncertainty, which markets and their underpinnings --brick and mortar companies with real CEOs and asset prices-- do not like. And so of course it does not help that there are still members of Congress (including even Senators, namely Hawley and Cruz) playing to Trump's base for their own future prospects, so that adds to the wonderment if there is more unrest ahead. This is American jobs at stake here and we have morons talking about staging a fucking civil war...

Not unrelated to that are suggestions by Senator Coons and others that Hawley and Cruz resign from the Senate since they seem still to be trying to thread a needle with Trump's base for their own ends.

I agree with Coons not because they initially brought up the challenges, although I think that was reprehensible enough. It’s the fact that Cruz refused to withdraw his after the riot, and in Hawley’s case, he actually introduced a challenge AFTER the riot. They should be removed as soon as the new Senators are sworn in and VP Harris takes over as president of the Senate.

Eraserhead

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the problem with impeachment is that they have to be in Washington DC. So they need to secure the area before they go back. Also if you do it in the week then Congress can’t be protested by people who can only make a weekend.

With regards to inorgaration - that doesn’t need to happen in D.C. - and if they are wise Congress will stay away.

lizkat

Reaction score
I think the problem with impeachment is that they have to be in Washington DC. So they need to secure the area before they go back. Also if you do it in the week then Congress can’t be protested by people who can only make a weekend.

With regards to inorgaration - that doesn’t need to happen in D.C. - and if they are wise Congress will stay away.

The problems with not impeaching him are that Pence apparently won't 25A him, and Trump apparently won't resign, but he is unfit to govern.

I say apparently because this is an untenable situation so I would assume that things are happening behind scenes. Pelosi being out front on impeachment is part of the visible pressure on Trump to resign. There has to be more of that happening in private. Ivanka and Jared...

Maybe while an impeachment article is being debated on the floor of the House of Representatives, either virtually or in person, someone with a shred of sanity in the Republican party can talk that loon Trump into taping a resignation video that passes muster for a) intent to support the Constitution and so the welfare of the USA and b) clarity again on Biden's certified succession to the presidency and c) no editorials to his presumed base about anything.

As to his base, I'd like to know who all are in it by now. This whole scenario and its spinoffs seem like an ambience straight out of a wet dream by directors of hostile powers' intel agencies... and so also for intel agencies of the USA, which one can still only hope are of a single allegiance, i.e. to our Constitution. Be interesting to know how many double and triple agents are involved at this point.

Yeah the inauguration they all just need to bump elbows on their laptops and keep working on the economic recovery and covid vaccine rollout.

lizkat

Reaction score
Details on timing and complexities of an impeachment process in this time frame.

Eraserhead

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
The problems with not impeaching him are that Pence apparently won't 25A him, and Trump apparently won't resign, but he is unfit to govern.

I say apparently because this is an untenable situation so I would assume that things are happening behind scenes. Pelosi being out front on impeachment is part of the visible pressure on Trump to resign. There has to be more of that happening in private. Ivanka and Jared...

Maybe while an impeachment article is being debated on the floor of the House of Representatives, either virtually or in person, someone with a shred of sanity in the Republican party can talk that loon Trump into taping a resignation video that passes muster for a) intent to support the Constitution and so the welfare of the USA and b) clarity again on Biden's certified succession to the presidency and c) no editorials to his presumed base about anything.

As to his base, I'd like to know who all are in it by now. This whole scenario and its spinoffs seem like an ambience straight out of a wet dream by directors of hostile powers' intel agencies... and so also for intel agencies of the USA, which one can still only hope are of a single allegiance, i.e. to our Constitution. Be interesting to know how many double and triple agents are involved at this point.

Yeah the inauguration they all just need to bump elbows on their laptops and keep working on the economic recovery and covid vaccine rollout.
To be clear I’m pro impeachment. But I think it’s reasonable for them to wait until Monday to gather.

lizkat

Reaction score
To be clear I’m pro impeachment. But I think it’s reasonable for them to wait until Monday to gather.

I think it's reasonable for someone to explain to Trump that 57% of Americans want him gone now.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1347737540137279489/

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
Unfortunately this impeachment will probably go the same way as the first one.

Even though the situation is even more extreme, from the standpoint of the individual congressmen and senators, the dynamics haven’t really changed:

The GOP voters are Trump fanatics and any Republican who votes to remove him will get primaried out by whomever the Trump family decides to name as their successor.

Some have shown a spine and a willingness to lose their job rather than letting the US go full crazy, but most won’t.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately this impeachment will probably go the same way as the first one.

Even though the situation is even more extreme, from the standpoint of the individual congressmen and senators, the dynamics haven’t really changed:

The GOP voters are Trump fanatics and any Republican who votes to remove him will get primaried out by whomever the Trump family decides to name as their successor.

Some have shown a spine and a willingness to lose their job rather than letting the US go full crazy, but most won’t.
Murkowski has indicated she would switch parties if Mitch doesn’t take this up, which would put him instantly in the minority, allowing a new majority leader to bring it up.

lizkat

Reaction score
Wow that is a power play I never saw coming.

No, me either. Impressive. So Mitch will entertain the thing but still try to slow walk it. At least Murkowski has what a lot of what some guys in that Senate seem to lack and I don't just mean a longer view of the damage this GOP is doing to itself and the country.

Top Bottom
1 2