Ilhan Omar to introduce articles of impeachment

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
Murkowski has indicated she would switch parties if Mitch doesn’t take this up, which would put him instantly in the minority, allowing a new majority leader to bring it up.
It would still probably not reach 2/3 of the senate.

U

User.45

It would still probably not reach 2/3 of the senate.
Still. The impeachment process would force the GOP to put their cards on the deck:
Are they going to officially turn into the Trump party, or are they going to officially break ranks.
A) They go with Trump, they'll keep a large base, but won't be competitive for national elections as I don't think they'd be able to chip away any more democrat leaning voters with this strategy.
B) They denounce Trump, they lose a large base with an opportunity to rebuild without nazis. But that would take many years of not being competitive.

Eraserhead

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still. The impeachment process would force the GOP to put their cards on the deck:
Are they going to officially turn into the Trump party, or are they going to officially break ranks.
A) They go with Trump, they'll keep a large base, but won't be competitive for national elections as I don't think they'd be able to chip away any more democrat leaning voters with this strategy.
B) They denounce Trump, they lose a large base with an opportunity to rebuild without nazis. But that would take many years of not being competitive.
Difficult to know how many GOP voters are nazis. I’d put it at much less than half. Probably more than half the volunteers etc though.

U

User.45

Difficult to know how many GOP voters are nazis. I’d put it at much less than half. Probably more than half the volunteers etc though.
I'd say far less than 5%, but still substantial enough to affect competitiveness in key states (NC, GA, VA, TX, WI, MI, OH). And I agree, they are certainly more active and mobilizable than the classic GOP core.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1348026854284943361/

Also, apparently there was another Georgia call back in December.

Funny how they were willing to overlook the obstruction of justice charges that Robert Mueller handed them on a silver platter because they though it would benefit them.

They were willing to overlook using hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars being used to bribe Ukraine into digging up dirt on the kids of Democratic opponents.

When faced with the ultimate manifestation of Trump-ism, a violent attack in which they personally could have been hurt or killed, they suddenly care about a couple phone calls to Georgia? Frack ‘em all.

U

User.45

Funny how they were willing to overlook the obstruction of justice charges that Robert Mueller handed them on a silver platter because they though it would benefit them.

They were willing to overlook using hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars being used to bribe Ukraine into digging up dirt on the kids of Democratic opponents.

When faced with the ultimate manifestation of Trump-ism, a violent attack in which they personally could have been hurt or killed, they suddenly care about a couple phone calls to Georgia? Frack ‘em all.
There's a pattern though. It ain't real unless it hits home.

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
Oh, I do understand the strategy behind the move. It's just that it sucks that they are such cowards. It was obvious Trump was going to sink the party, so had they had the guts to cut him loose early on, people would have moved on and they would have survived and the world would be better, but they always took the easy option whenever they had a choice and now the country (and the world) is f***ed for good. My inlaws are always like "You guys should move to the US, you'll find a good job easily". HELL NO.

U

User.45

Oh, I do understand the strategy behind the move. It's just that it sucks that they are such cowards. It was obvious Trump was going to sink the party, so had they had the guts to cut him loose early on, people would have moved on and they would have survived and the world would be better, but they always took the easy option whenever they had a choice and now the country (and the world) is f***ed for good. My inlaws are always like "You guys should move to the US, you'll find a good job easily". HELL NO.
Bolded the most important part.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I was unaware that the 14th amendment has language that could lead to the removal of members of Congress who incited the Capitol violence:

‘‘No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or ju- dicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.’’
At the very least, Josh Hawley qualifies for this, and maybe others too.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Holy crap. Now it sound like McConnell's on board!

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.

Looks like he's had enough of Donald.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I have always thought getting rid of Trump was in McConnell’s interest.
Yes, indeed, but this is not something he seems to have seen until last Wednesday (January 6, when the mob attacked the Capitol in an attempt to stop the formal certification of Mr Biden's election as President).

Last edited:

Eraserhead

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, indeed, but this is not something he seems to have seen until last Wednesday (January 6, when the mob attacked the Capitol in an attempt to stop the formal certification of Mr Biden's election).
I guess that’s when the other path became impossible.

I mean you can’t see 2018 style turnout for the Democratic party not happening in 2022 without the Republicans moving back towards democracy. Plus all those Latino voters they won over in 2020 because they were scared of coups and then Trump tries one - those people will never vote Republican again without a clean house. And I’d expect the Cubans (who are key in Florida) to hold the same view.

The Republicans could lose 4-5 in the senate fairly easily under that scenario (Wisconsin, Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and maybe Iowa). And would have no hope in the house.

Of course you might get an even worse bloodbath if you impeach and piss off the base, but how much worse is the Dems having 60 in the senate vs 55?

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2