iMac rumors

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Fair points. I wasn’t thinking about obvious stuff like dead pixels, but if you read mr there have always been panic inducing paranoia over whether people had the perfect even backlighting and obsession over minor imperfections. This is what I mean about using the lesser panels

Normally, screen issues don't bother me too much, so long as they're not too distracting. But considering I'm probably about to drop 3 grand on a laptop?

Yeah, you can bet I'm gonna get pretty anal retentive over some dead pixels.

D

Deleted member 215

It seems odd that they would increase the screen size of the smaller iMac and not the larger one. I wasn't necessarily expecting 32", but maybe 30"?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of these gigantic screens, though, and if the 24" iMac were available with a more powerful CPU and GPU, I'd consider getting it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems odd that they would increase the screen size of the smaller iMac and not the larger one. I wasn't necessarily expecting 32", but maybe 30"?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of these gigantic screens, though, and if the 24" iMac were available with a more powerful CPU and GPU, I'd consider getting it.

I guess their’s some precedent - the 13” MBP became 14”, but the 16” only went to, what, 16.2”?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Honestly I have an old iMac sitting in my home office - I never use it. I used to be a desktop-only guy (because laptops were always much less powerful), but over the years I transitioned.

What’s fascinating about the Apple Silicon era is that Apple is essentially giving us full desktop power in portable form factors. So now you can choose based on form factor - do you need portability? A big screen? Ergonomics issues? Maybe you have a lot of things to keep plugged in so you want more ports?

Put the M1 Pro or Max into an iMac and you have an all-in-one that blows away most modular PCs in performance.

I don’t even think they’ll change the clocking - early indications are the M1 Pro/Max run at the same CPU frequency as M1, which is a bit surprising. But M1 single-core speed is pretty damned good anyway.

(Tangent: I really really want a closer look at those efficiency cores. I still don’t think they are icestorms.)

My first Mac was a 2011 17" MBP. I tried using it connected to a monitor and it just never worked as well as my old Dell with a docking station. So I grabbed an iMac the next trip to an Apple store.

Honestly most of my laptop work is Windows based so I am thinking of a new Win 11 Surface Pro, but we will see.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
This is the one I'm holding out for (or maybe a Mac mini). It would be nice to see them go bigger than 27". But then I'd also need to replace my second 27" with something that matches (I get that matching monitors aren't technically necessary, but they would be "Mark necessary" for sure). So if they stay at 27", it would actually save me money.

I'm dying to jump into the M1 game. But I'm not doing it until they can offer me something tempting. A new 27" or higher iMac would do the trick.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since I've already got a work MBP ... a Mac mini with these new specs would interest me greatly. I've already got an iPad for reading. :p

I guess I should ask, think these GPU specs will ever hit the mini?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since I've already got a work MBP ... a Mac mini with these new specs would interest me greatly. I've already got an iPad for reading. :p

I guess I should ask, think these GPU specs will ever hit the mini?
I assume there will be a high-end Mini with at least the 32-GPU core configuration.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I assume there will be a high-end Mini with at least the 32-GPU core configuration.

Given that space and heat dissipation are no real concerns anymore, there's no reason why there shouldn't be a high end Mini, other than Apple not wanting to make one.

floridakilos

Reaction score
How long has it been since the last iMac 27" came out? I can't really see Apple updating the 27" until next year basically due to product cannibalization. But it's the Mac I'm most looking forward to. Give me an M chip and a bigger screen and I'll be buying fully specced on release.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
How long has it been since the last iMac 27" came out? I can't really see Apple updating the 27" until next year basically due to product cannibalization. But it's the Mac I'm most looking forward to. Give me an M chip and a bigger screen and I'll be buying fully specced on release.
Mine is a Late 2015 that I bought refurbed from Apple when the video card in my 2011 died for the second time. I think is the current form factor without the CD drive.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I've got a 2017.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Apple generally doesn’t make decisions based on potential for cannibalization. More likely the reason these new machines aren’t coming until next year is 2-fold:

1) at least some configurations will use the M1 Max or Pro. Apple sells a lot more MacBook Pros than iMacs, so they want to allot all of their production of these chips to MBPs for now.

2) some configurations may end up using the same CPU as the Mac Pro (with 20- or 40- cores). These chips are not “ready” (I believe they taped-out at least 6 months ago, but it’s not clear whether TSMC has been producing them or not).

Top Bottom
1 2