India pushing for iOS/Android alternative

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Nothing says “high quality” like government sponsorship.

This is also quite a fancy plan: “The government is planning to come up with a policy that will facilitate an ecosystem for the industry to create an …”

I am hungry, so i am planning to come up with a policy that will facilitate an ecosystem for someone in my house to create breakfast for me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Anything cheap out there as a starting point? MS interested in selling the old Windows CE source? AmigaOS as a mobile OS? :p

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
This is either going to be like a Soviet era ramshackle clone of modern smartphone technology, because governments are know for efficiency, or it's just going to be an Android fork like Huwei dredged up with their "new" operating system. Assuming it ever gets out of the planning committee, which I'm sure will triple check every stage of development. Let the Indian developers do their own thing and find their own successes.

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Well, 1.4 billion population with a lot of talented people in IT sector.

But what will it run on?

IndiPhone and IndiPAD?

It may even be a success within the country considering the purchasing power and with a good PR management... like you get a free IndiPhone or an IndiPAD with a TATA car.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't underestimate the power of authoritarianism. Modi et al see the Chinese model and want to have their own cake to eat. And as @Ulenspiegel said, "...1.4 billion population with a lot of talented people in IT sector." They will work out a scheme to benefit themselves and their cronies.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Is blackberry OS still out there? How about the old Nokia OS. Or did both of them get bought up by another telco?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is blackberry OS still out there? How about the old Nokia OS. Or did both of them get bought up by another telco?

WebOS would be a far superior starting point, but LG has ruined it and turned it into a TV OS.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
How about they first facilitate a public transportation system that isn’t dodging tigers while sitting on a train roof.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Odds are good that it winds up being an Android fork of some kind, IMO. When you look at where the expertise is with mobile in India, and what end users are comfortable with, it’s Android. If I wanted something quick, it makes the most sense.

Top Bottom
1 2