IOS 16: “lockdown mode”

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

This is nice if you’re at risk of nation-state level attacks. That said, I’m worried a lot of employers (mine included) might decide to make employees use it, despite the fact that we are not the intended audience.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
We have some pretty aggressive security measures at my employer, so count me in that boat.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm sure the EU will require Apple to give access to Lockdown Mode to anyone that requests it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm sure the EU will require Apple to give access to Lockdown Mode to anyone that requests it.

:)

Well, anyone who wants it can have it right now. I wouldn’t recommend it if you aren’t worried about getting hacked by a government and you like that your phone actually does useful stuff, though.

1657137989525.png

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
One thing that makes me slightly question its usefulness for large companies and government agencies, but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

• Configuration profiles cannot be installed, and the device cannot enroll into mobile device management (MDM), while Lockdown Mode is turned on.
For many US government uses, MDM is pretty much mandatory. Would lockdown mode allow MDM and configuration profiles to be setup first, then turn on lockdown mode after?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing that makes me slightly question its usefulness for large companies and government agencies, but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

For many US government uses, MDM is pretty much mandatory. Would lockdown mode allow MDM and configuration profiles to be setup first, then turn on lockdown mode after?

I originally thought so, but from what I’ve now read, you can’t have MDM when in this mode - I don’t know if existing profiles are removed or just disabled (or if you need to remove them yourself before enabling lockdown mode).

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, anyone who wants it can have it right now.
I meant the encryption keys of Lockdown Mode, since the EU is going to require "gatekeepers" to provide such access. You know, so that small developers, independent studios, and underserved micro-nations like the Russian Federation will get equal treatment under Brussels' benevolent oversight.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I meant the encryption keys of Lockdown Mode, since the EU is going to require "gatekeepers" to provide such access. You know, so that small developers, independent studios, and underserved micro-nations like the Russian Federation will get equal treatment under Brussels' benevolent oversight.

Worse: EU will make Apple open lockdown to third parties. It is anti-competitive to prevent attachments to load if the attachments are from non-apple apps, etc. :)