iPad Peripherals (kb+tp cases! hubs! decorative stickers!)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, so maybe this first post is specifically about kb+tp cases, i.e., keyboard + trackpad cases :D, but figured I'd make it more general for future expansion :)

There's a few options:

Apple
Brydge
Logitech

A number of other named brands, several generics.

I think I'm mostly interested in the Apple vs. the Brydge, the latter original product had some janky gesture control, the new + models seem to have fixed this. I like the Brydge's larger TP, the function keys, it does use BT for connectivity, Apple uses the smart connector, supports a USB-C passthrough charger which is slick, the floating screen adjustment, it's thinner.

Kind of looking for an iPad-as-a-notebook solution, that will spend a lot of time on a desk, needs to properly protect the iPad too.

@JayMysteri0 I know you're a big iPad user, are you using either of these or something else?

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried Brydge but it connected via old school bluetooth back in the day (this was a long time ago) so it wasn't any better than an external keyboard - but the build quality was ok. Went to the Apple folio keyboard and never looked back. Recently picked up a $150 Magic Keyboard from an MR user and ... wow, I see why people like this. Just works so nicely. Most of the time though, when I want to use my iPad Pro 11 as a laptop, I'll hook it up to my 4k monitor with a USB C dock so I can use my wireless mouse/keyboard as if it was a laptop. But I'm doing that less and less as it's a hassle to always be reconnecting things.

I have a hard time paying more than $150 for a keyboard for an iPad. I prefer to use a bluetooth mouse / keyboard (and that's what I do most of the time anyway). Prop up my iPad with an iPad stand and mouse/keyboard because I spend all day at my computer working - last thing I wanna do after work is .... sit at my computer.

I use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerE...ywords=anker+usb+c+dock&qid=1648587785&sr=8-9 for my MBP and my iPad (rarely now days).

I have dbrand skin for my iPad (dragon skin) - when I want to read for long periods of time. This is the state it spends most of its time in.
I have an Apple case for travel (protection mostly).
I got a used Magic Keyboard that I rarely use.
Of course Apple Pencil is a must - Notability for most pen like feeling when writing.
iCarez matte screen protector for use in very bright rooms/outside/inside when you don't want insane glare.
Bluetooth Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard for when I can take my backpack. I prefer using an iPad stand with BT keyboard/mouse (separated).

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
OK, so maybe this first post is specifically about kb+tp cases, i.e., keyboard + trackpad cases :D, but figured I'd make it more general for future expansion :)

There's a few options:

Apple
Brydge
Logitech

A number of other named brands, several generics.

I think I'm mostly interested in the Apple vs. the Brydge, the latter original product had some janky gesture control, the new + models seem to have fixed this. I like the Brydge's larger TP, the function keys, it does use BT for connectivity, Apple uses the smart connector, supports a USB-C passthrough charger which is slick, the floating screen adjustment, it's thinner.

Kind of looking for an iPad-as-a-notebook solution, that will spend a lot of time on a desk, needs to properly protect the iPad too.

@JayMysteri0 I know you're a big iPad user, are you using either of these or something else?
I had the Brydge for the early 12.9 iPP, it really is an impressive product. The keyboard is literal slab of aluminum so it feels very quality. Adding it really does turn your iPP into a touchscreen Macbook. The problem of course is that it also suddenly weighs as much as a Macbook, because that slab of aluminum isn't light. I mean that weight is REALLY noticeable. Also the early versions had a clamping system that if you had a screen protector on, made you worry the iPP might crack from pressure.

Ultimately what did in the Brydge for me is two things. First there's a back plate that comes with your Brydge Keyboard that magnetically attaches to protect your iPad's back. The early pics were of a plate that was only for the initial release and they never changed it. So mine looked different. I asked if there was a way to get another plate & was told no, there only have one plate for each keyboard. Meaning they can't even sell extra plates if you wanted one. Kind of short sighted I thought. Second, I got my Brydge right before Apple announced trackpad support. Meaning Brydge rushed to get another keyboard out. I asked if there was a way for those of us who just got the keyboard to get a break or anything on the new one when it came out. Nope. Brydge wanted you to buy a new full price keyboard.

The keyboard's become a very large heavy paper weight.

I had logitech's with older iPad's. They are an option if you aren't going to be removing the iPad a lot. They offer the most protection.

Which brings me to my final & current choice, the Apple Magic Keyboard. It's TOO friggin' expensive!! It's also worth it. The issues some people had with their Smart Keyboards quality haven't been an issue for me with the MKB. Typing on the MKB is actually my favorite experience, even over the Macbook Pro. Backlighting isn't great, but I do own the white one, so that maybe why.

As far as protection. There is none. Technically the Brydge doesn't have much either. If you want some protection, your option is the Pitaka case that is thin enough the iPad will still connect to the MKB.

I myself don't have such a case. I just have a DBrand skin on the back of the iPP, and use it with my MKB. It's nice to just be able quickly take the iPP off the keyboard and go tablet mode easily.

Hope that helps.

iPP with Brydge
48021159508_e72ea06333_o.jpg

iPP with the MKB
51532389356_5a6eb54bcd_z.jpg