iPad Pro vs iPad

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm about to pull the trigger for a new iPad and wanted to get see what others think here. I currently have the first generation iPad Air but can't use the pencil with it and the main goal of this new one is drawing/painting artwork. Seems to me that all I really need here is the latest version of the standard iPad, I'm good with the smaller screen size and that seems to be the biggest improvement with the pro, I don't know that I necessarily need the speed jump.

Any compelling reasons not to go with this for my purposes? Looks like the the ninth generation is the latest and that's what I would be going with.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger for a new iPad and wanted to get see what others think here. I currently have the first generation iPad Air but can't use the pencil with it and the main goal of this new one is drawing/painting artwork. Seems to me that all I really need here is the latest version of the standard iPad, I'm good with the smaller screen size and that seems to be the biggest improvement with the pro, I don't know that I necessarily need the speed jump.

Any compelling reasons not to go with this for my purposes? Looks like the the ninth generation is the latest and that's what I would be going with.
iPad Air costs more, but it should be better for artwork. It gives you some of the pro features without having to shell out $1000. Also, the magnetic pencil and a bigger screen in a smaller package since touch ID is on the side button.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
iPad Air costs more, but it should be better for artwork. It gives you some of the pro features without having to shell out $1000. Also, the magnetic pencil and a bigger screen in a smaller package since touch ID is on the side button.
Do you think the difference in pencils that marginal? I see the iPad only comes with first generation.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Do you think the difference in pencils that marginal? I see the iPad only comes with first generation.
For basic convenience, avoid the first pencil.

This was one of the dumbest f'ing things I have ever seen Apple do.

apple-pencil-hands-on-2.jpg

Which basically forces you to buy a different charging solution, because no one in their right mind is going to do that.

While Apple Pencil 2 shamelessly copied Surface & an Android tablet or two to get it right finally.

If you aren't going to be editing film, making complex audio tracks, or really heavy photo editing, you can get by with the iPad.

For you, I would say consider if you may ever want to work on your photography while actually in the field. Editing photos for quite a few Youtubers who do photography, is considered more intuitive with a touch interface by many of them. Consider the Pro, if you think you may want to and make this a primary or alternative driver. The iPad Air would always be a complement that does quite a few things very well on it's own.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would definitely recommend spending a little more and going with the Air at least if you can afford it. It's definitely worth it. Does the latest iPad still not have a laminated display? That alone is pretty worth it to go with the Air. And, yeah, the Pencil 2 is a much better experience than the 1.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Pro has a 120Hz vs. 60Hz display which means a bit of improvement in response time for touch input, which includes the Pencil.

Don't forget about Apple refurbs either, they've got current gen iPad Airs stocked, $80 off the 64GB model, $100 off the 256.

1631730082179.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For basic convenience, avoid the first pencil.

This was one of the dumbest f'ing things I have ever seen Apple do.

apple-pencil-hands-on-2.jpg

Which basically forces you to buy a different charging solution, because no one in their right mind is going to do that.

While Apple Pencil 2 shamelessly copied Surface & an Android tablet or two to get it right finally.

If you aren't going to be editing film, making complex audio tracks, or really heavy photo editing, you can get by with the iPad.

For you, I would say consider if you may ever want to work on your photography while actually in the field. Editing photos for quite a few Youtubers who do photography, is considered more intuitive with a touch interface by many of them. Consider the Pro, if you think you may want to and make this a primary or alternative driver. The iPad Air would always be a complement that does quite a few things very well on it's own.

Okay, this will be used almost exclusively for Procreate. Is the second generation pencil and additional (though small amount of) real estate really worth the additional $200 in your opinion?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Side note: I'd __love__ to have a Pencil 2 charger that's not the iPad, honestly, I can't believe NOBODY has solved this.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I love Apple refurbs, like a 14-15% discount for basically a new device with the full warranty (and all Apple Care options)
I did look and the discounts are great, I just don't want to spend that much for the reasons I need it. I will likely get the latest iPad Air though, then I can use the second generation pencil, doesn't it have 120 Hz as well?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I did look and the discounts are great, I just don't want to spend that much for the reasons I need it. I will likely get the latest iPad Air though, then I can use the second generation pencil, doesn't it have 120 Hz as well?
I don't believe the iPad Air has "ProMotion" - you need the iPad Pro to get that.

Decent comparison here:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't believe the iPad Air has "ProMotion" - you need the iPad Pro to get that.

Decent comparison here:

Correct, it does not. Only the Pros have ProMotion.
Do I really need to for drawing trees and landscapes? I mentioned it in another thread but I'm really just looking at it as a replacement for my charcoal drawing. I don't want it to suck but it doesn't have to be a top of the line either, but if the functionality is that bad without the higher end models I'll consider it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Side note: I'd __love__ to have a Pencil 2 charger that's not the iPad, honestly, I can't believe NOBODY has solved this.
That has never bothered me, or even occurred to me as something I'd want. Mind you I still have my Pencil 1 stand / charger which I liked to hold my pencil. But to charge the Pencil 2 I always kind of dug just slapping it on the side of the iPP.

Okay, this will be used almost exclusively for Procreate. Is the second generation pencil and additional (though small amount of) real estate really worth the additional $200 in your opinion?
JUST for Procreate? No. As that review shows, the iPad Air does everything quite well. I was just thinking specifically for you and your photography if you got into using the iPP heavily. I honestly don't think anyone needs a Pro unless they want that 12.9 form factor, the increased Ram, want further "future proofing", or they believe they will "push" an iPad ( it's capabilities ) sometime in the future.

Do I really need to for drawing trees and landscapes? I mentioned it in another thread but I'm really just looking at it as a replacement for my charcoal drawing. I don't want it to suck but it doesn't have to be a top of the line either, but if the functionality is that bad without the higher end models I'll consider it.

No.

Promotion is nice, but no not necessary. I think unless someone shows it to you with 2 iPads ( iPad Vs iPP ), you wouldn't notice it if you haven't seen it before in "action".

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That has never bothered me, or even occurred to me as something I'd want. Mind you I still have my Pencil 1 stand / charger which I liked to hold my pencil. But to charge the Pencil 2 I always kind of dug just slapping it on the side of the iPP.

JUST for Procreate? No. As that review shows, the iPad Air does everything quite well. I was just thinking specifically for you and your photography if you got into using the iPP heavily. I honestly don't think anyone needs a Pro unless they want that 12.9 form factor, the increased Ram, want further "future proofing", or they believe they will "push" an iPad ( it's capabilities ) sometime in the future.

No.

Promotion is nice, but no not necessary. I think unless someone shows it to you with 2 iPads ( iPad Vs iPP ), you wouldn't notice it if you haven't seen it before in "action".
Great advice all, I appreciate it. I'll stick with the Air and the second generation pencil then. As for my photography, I strictly use my iMac for that, I spend a ton of time in the details of post processing and have no real interest in doing it on anything else.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Maybe it's just us, but we have a lot of use without the Pencil, where we don't want it dangling off the iPad, or don't take it with us on a trip [for example], so it dies just sitting around. Like the little G will take it upstairs, no Pencil, use it for days - charge it - but the Pencil is just sitting here. We take it to Universal with a hub to use it to access streaming services in the room on the TV, don't want to think about the Pencil, again, it just sits here, running out of charge.

I'd just like an optional way to maintain the charge without it being physically stuck on the iPad. Kind of like a mouse or trackpad, where it's charged independently from the device.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I mean, I'd probably pay some stupid price for an official Apple Pencil charger, which is just a little magnetic block with a USB-C port or Lightning port (so you even have to supply your own cable ...)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

No.

I promise not to harass you too much ;) but you sound like you know what you're doing with this stuff, and are likely an artist from what I can see (why don't we know this stuff about you after all this time?). What is your thoughts on the comparison between Procreate and picking up a piece of paper and sketching something out?

So far it seems pretty close to me but I'm still new at this, it's really just a matter of learning the software, tools, layers, etc. and in some ways it's easier in that I can easily erase things or create a background behind an existing layer, something Bob Ross couldn't only dreams of I'm sure. Not sure if it's cheating or just keeping up with the times.

This question is for all of you artists among us.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I promise not to harass you too much ;) but you sound like you know what you're doing with this stuff, and are likely an artist from what I can see (why don't we know this stuff about you after all this time?). What is your thoughts on the comparison between Procreate and picking up a piece of paper and sketching something out?

So far it seems pretty close to me but I'm still new at this, it's really just a matter of learning the software, tools, layers, etc. and in some ways it's easier in that I can easily erase things or create a background behind an existing layer, something Bob Ross couldn't only dreams of I'm sure. Not sure if it's cheating or just keeping up with the times.

This question is for all of you artists among us.
I think it’s best to keep in mind how you are looking at this. Digital art is a boon for professional artists who have to produce professional level ( a level that is ever rising ) in a set amount of time. In the past it wasn’t unusual for artists to be given a few weeks to month if not more to produce the highest quality art for a client. Nowadays, having a few weeks is a luxury. Consider also ( one reason I’ve hated commercial work ) if you get a difficult client who wants constant revisions and can’t seem to make up their mind. If you were doing watercolor, constant revisions ( even after they agreed on your pen / pencil sketch ) were a nightmare. Now constant revisions are petty annoyances because of the beauty of layers.

Also digital art reduced the skill gap that existed from newbie to expert. An expert can make a YouTube video explaining their process in 15 20 minutes, and every fan can emulate it within a week or two. That’s just too desirable.

Sure there are plenty who still do their work traditionally, then finish it digitally. It’s the method that a lot of individuals like myself who aren’t completely comfortable with digital approach. Do as much of your art in the manner you are most comfortable, then add type or painting effects digitally. After all, you can endlessly change, never worried about messing up your original work.

There is also the original appeal. Art supplies cost NOTHING digitally.

Which is the biggest draw for Procreate + iPad. The cost of entry to the digital world used to be a tablet, computer / laptop, and prohibitively expensive art software from Adobe. What may have cost upwards of a few thousand dollars, now costs what an iPad Air & $10 for procreate to produce near similar results. So if one was dipping their toes into digital art, the iPad + Procreate combo becomes a no brainer recommendation.

So if one has the time & access to resources, while traditional drawing or painting will never go away, the possibilities with an iPad + Procreate are truly endless. The same program that allows you to make charcoal drawings, oil paintings, watercolor works, type & logo work, do effects on photos, all exists in a $10 program. No cost for paper, materials, and you in a way have an almost infinite sized canvas. Good times if you are willing to learn.

Also, there’s nothing stopping you from learning both. The only issue you may find that a lot of Procreate users who go back & forth face, is that 3 finger gesture to undo does NOT work in the real world.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think it’s best to keep in mind how you are looking at this. Digital art is a boon for professional artists who have to produce professional level ( a level that is ever rising ) in a set amount of time. In the past it wasn’t unusual for artists to be given a few weeks to month if not more to produce the highest quality art for a client. Nowadays, having a few weeks is a luxury. Consider also ( one reason I’ve hated commercial work ) if you get a difficult client who wants constant revisions and can’t seem to make up their mind. If you were doing watercolor, constant revisions ( even after they agreed on your pen / pencil sketch ) were a nightmare. Now constant revisions are petty annoyances because of the beauty of layers.

Also digital art reduced the skill gap that existed from newbie to expert. An expert can make a YouTube video explaining their process in 15 20 minutes, and every fan can emulate it within a week or two. That’s just too desirable.

Sure there are plenty who still do their work traditionally, then finish it digitally. It’s the method that a lot of individuals like myself who aren’t completely comfortable with digital approach. Do as much of your art in the manner you are most comfortable, then add type or painting effects digitally. After all, you can endlessly change, never worried about messing up your original work.

There is also the original appeal. Art supplies cost NOTHING digitally.

Which is the biggest draw for Procreate + iPad. The cost of entry to the digital world used to be a tablet, computer / laptop, and prohibitively expensive art software from Adobe. What may have cost upwards of a few thousand dollars, now costs what an iPad Air & $10 for procreate to produce near similar results. So if one was dipping their toes into digital art, the iPad + Procreate combo becomes a no brainer recommendation.

So if one has the time & access to resources, while traditional drawing or painting will never go away, the possibilities with an iPad + Procreate are truly endless. The same program that allows you to make charcoal drawings, oil paintings, watercolor works, type & logo work, do effects on photos, all exists in a $10 program. No cost for paper, materials, and you in a way have an almost infinite sized canvas. Good times if you are willing to learn.

Also, there’s nothing stopping you from learning both. The only issue you may find that a lot of Procreate users who go back & forth face, is that 3 finger gesture to undo does NOT work in the real world.
Great info, I appreciate the input here. There are a lot of great tutorials out there that I've been working with, I want to stick with freehand work and a lot of them are like "just drag this brush/stencil on the canvas and you have a perfect leaf" and I'm staying away from those. Some of the details in my landscapes may look like shit but I drew them all myself and I get better each time.

I've been following this guy James Julier on YouTube, he's a bit advanced for me but I like how he doesn't cut corners and just uses default brushes, it's more work but also a more genuine experience.

I'll probably toggle back and forth but the ease of use on the iPad is awesome, I don't have to worry about the mess and all that and can just grab it and go from my couch. However, I'm treating it like paper and avoiding the gimmicks until I have a handle on it.

Top Bottom
1 2