iPhone 12

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Ouch!

Sometimes it’s like I don’t even know you. ;)

Sometimes, I don't even know myself.

However, I still write (daily) with a fountain pen - my trusty Mont Blanc Meisterstuck, along with my increasingly aged Apple 11" MBA.

And, yes,......

Sigh.

Actually, here, in this comfort zone, I am running the risk of becoming far too relaxed.

For, I broke one of my own Golden Rules on MR: Namely: Always Give The iPhone Sections A Very Wide Berth.......sometimes, the wild passions they give rise to are even more perfervid than those emanating from the oft condemned PRSI.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ouch!

Sometimes it’s like I don’t even know you. ;)

I use my iPhone as a camera, and that has become its primary function. Everything else I do on my iPad, and as long as we’ve been in quarantine I barely touch the phone for anything else. Although it does come in handy for finishing text/messenger conversations on the phone while I’m doing something more important (like forums) on the iPad.

I will not be upgrading this year. But I am totally psyched for iOS 14. And the new iPad os - handwriting recognition! And the new watch os. And the new ATV os - picture in picture!
How's the site look on your iPad? I haven't tried it yet but it seems okay on the iPhone.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
My phone is a seven-year-old LG840 that is about the size of the original iPhone and is somewhat less capable. It is a phone, for voice and text. If I want more, I have an iPad and an iPad mini-4, but, out and about, I look at stuff, not screens.

If I ever find myself in dire cell phone straits, I can take at least some comfort in knowing that my ass old iPhone 4 still works.

I used it during the downtime after my iPhone 7 died, waiting for the SE to arrive. It wasn't exactly what I'd call speedy, but it still managed to chug along without complaint.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Flip phones?

Love them to bits, and would love to see them restored to favour and use.

Me too... I had a plum-colored flip phone I totally loved, it was an LG-CU515 in a plum color.

LG-CU515 flip phone.jpg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
How's the site look on your iPad? I haven't tried it yet but it seems okay on the iPhone.
I use my iPad for all my browsing (my current functioning computer is a G5 iMac). As sites go, it looks like a site. My other favorite board recently switched from vBulletin to Discourse and that has taken some getting used to – pageless scrolling is actually nice once you adapt to it. Overall, PoliticalGroove looks pretty nice.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I use my iPad for all my browsing (my current functioning computer is a G5 iMac). As sites go, it looks like a site. My other favorite board recently switched from vBulletin to Discourse and that has taken some getting used to – pageless scrolling is actually nice once you adapt to it. Overall, PoliticalGroove looks pretty nice.
From vB to Discord? Wow, it's just a chat platform basically, right? I mean no real threaded posts or that type of thing. That's a huge switch for a board like that.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
From vB to Discord? Wow, it's just a chat platform basically, right? I mean no real threaded posts or that type of thing. That's a huge switch for a board like that.
No, not Discord, Discourse. It is another MB platform. I hate the "badges" BS, but it is otherwise pretty smooth, and extremely good at dropping you in the right place when you open a thread. example

oh, and you can put a poll in any post

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
First of all, there’s something very disconcertint about seeing “You posted in x thread.” No I didn’t. No, You did. Gahhh!

Looks great. Better than the iPhone. Mostly I like that I can easily hit New Posts from anywhere.

Me too... I had a plum-colored flip phone I totally loved, it was an LG-CU515 in a plum color.

I remember when I got my red Treo Centro. Oh I loved that thing! Of course, the first thing I always do with a phone is put a case on it, so colour is largely irrelevant. But oh was it pretty!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I remember when I got my red Treo Centro. Oh I loved that thing! Of course, the first thing I always do with a phone is put a case on it, so colour is largely irrelevant. But oh was it pretty!

I've never once put a phone in a protective case. To me, it ruins the point of having a thin, lithe phone that's easy to carry in your pocket. Most I'll do is put a protective cover over the screen, then leave it be.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never once put a phone in a protective case. To me, it ruins the point of having a thin, lithe phone that's easy to carry in your pocket. Most I'll do is put a protective cover over the screen, then leave it be.

I could never! Besides, they’re so slick they’d just jump out of my hand. I used to use something on my Treos that was like the stuff you stick to the bathtub to keep from slipping. I forget what they’re called now. It meant I didn’t need a case though.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I may just for no other reason than when I got my 11 Pro I went for the extra charge payment plan that allows you to upgrade early instead of waiting the traditional 2 years.

Also, before that I had a 7 Plus. I thought with all the decreased bezel hype the Pro screen size would be at least the same size as the Plus. I was disappointed to find out it is smaller. So I would probably go for the Max.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I may just for no other reason than when I got my 11 Pro I went for the extra charge payment plan that allows you to upgrade early instead of waiting the traditional 2 years.

Also, before that I had a 7 Plus. I thought with all the decreased bezel hype the Pro screen size would be at least the same size as the Plus. I was disappointed to find out it is smaller. So I would probably go for the Max.

I like the Max size.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I won’t be upgrading since I acquired an SE 2 this year. Really enjoy the new phone since I ran my iPhone 6 into the ground. Ive come to think 5 years is too long to run a phone if you’re a moderate to heavy user. Too much changes in that time.

I also have an iPad (2017) that’s going strong but the sound is out. I’ve troubleshot it down to basically needing a new iPad. Apparently, it’s too expensive to fix the issue since iPads have gotten cheaper. I’ll live with it for another year or so.

if the 12 has inscreen Touch ID that’ll be the next form factor I’ll buy. Face ID, I’m not excited about.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
I might, I have an X and it's starting to show some issues. I might upgrade, or I might just go for the 11, depending on the specs and costs.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Not I.

My current phone is the iPhone SE, - I like the size & form factor.

However I will readily admit that I don't much care for smartphones, and am debating returning - eventually - to dumb phones in a post-covid world.

I have been thinking about it for a while, but the [sad] reality is that I need a smartphone for work. I also like to take pictures and let's face it, top tier iPhones and Samsungs do it very well. Digital Minimalism is the key!

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I usually replace my phone every other generation, largely because by that point I've used the poor thing to death. (My 6S died a terrible death just off Carlsbad, Calif., and my 7S took a good hit after I endured a "whipper" climbing and was never the same.

I also prefer to jump to the "S" versions since the iPhone 4S, which I think was significantly better than the 4. I'm currently using the XS, which is by far my favorite phone since the 3GS. But, I was so impressed by the iPhone 11's camera, especially the low-light mode, that I might switch earlier than normal.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm two generations behind, I usually do every other as well, but my X has been super solid. Daughter has an 11 and Wife and 11 Pro, they both got upgraded from pre-X models so they got a great upgrade experience, and I figured since they were getting 11 models, I'd skip that and wait for the next iteration.

Even the "regular" 11 has a great camera, but the Pro model is fantastic, and the low light tech is fantastic (that's been my ongoing complaint with smartphone cameras, low light performance).

So I'm pretty confident I'll get a 12 and also go back to a larger form factor, so a 12 Pro Max, especially with the other Pro model creeping up in size, if I'm going to get a larger phone, I might as well GO BIG :D

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I am on the iPhone upgrade plan. I “downgraded” to the iPhone 11 instead of one of the highest-end models last year. I like having the latest model, but with cameras being the focus these days, and me not being much of a photographer, maybe I will downgrade to an SE on the upgrade program this time around... and then maybe keep it a few years. I am on my iPad much more these days, so the phone doesn’t get as much use. Maybe after the pandemic vaccine comes out, I will use the phone more.

Top Bottom
1 2