iPhone 12

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, yes -- well, after yesterday's trip to a car dealership and bringing home a new Honda Civic Sport Hatchback with Apple Car Play, I guess I can call that my "Apple purchase" this fall.... LOL! Apple Car Play is really cool, from the little I've played with it so far! So yeah, my iPhone 11 Pro will be with me for another year, but at least she'll have something new to keep her busy when in the car! :)

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, so I got the new 12 Pro. I like it. It's shaped kind of weird. Slightly taller and slightly narrower. What I don't care about is the polished strip on the outside. Instant fingerprint magnet. I guess it doesn't matter as it will live in a case anyway.

Oh, yes -- well, after yesterday's trip to a car dealership and bringing home a new Honda Civic Sport Hatchback with Apple Car Play, I guess I can call that my "Apple purchase" this fall.... LOL! Apple Car Play is really cool, from the little I've played with it so far! So yeah, my iPhone 11 Pro will be with me for another year, but at least she'll have something new to keep her busy when in the car! :)

I was supposed to have CarPlay in my car but because it was an option and because Mercedes has the most idiotic system of packages, I ended up with the premium sound system which the sales guy was sure had CarPlay. Turns out it did not. It was an extra box to tick off that added it for $250. That got missed, I guess. Ironically the basic audio/nav option had it standard. Go figure.

It's possible to add it afterwards but it requires an addition of some parts under the hood. They said Mercedes may offer that service soon. They did on another model already. Probably because they got ton of complaints.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, so I got the new 12 Pro. I like it. It's shaped kind of weird. Slightly taller and slightly narrower. What I don't care about is the polished strip on the outside. Instant fingerprint magnet. I guess it doesn't matter as it will live in a case anyway.

I was supposed to have CarPlay in my car but because it was an option and because Mercedes has the most idiotic system of packages, I ended up with the premium sound system which the sales guy was sure had CarPlay. Turns out it did not. It was an extra box to tick off that added it for $250. That got missed, I guess. Ironically the basic audio/nav option had it standard. Go figure.

It's possible to add it afterwards but it requires an addition of some parts under the hood. They said Mercedes may offer that service soon. They did on another model already. Probably because they got ton of complaints.
Baffling that Mercedes allowed that. CarPlay is virtually standard on all cars now.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe. It did not come with CarPlay. Got a new radio thingy last year and now the car is perfect. Now they just need to update it so that it works via Bluetooth and doesn’t have to be plugged in to work.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

My 2020 BMW came with it but none of the previous models did. It's amazing how some of these higher end cars lack basic features that standard consumer level cars have.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
This is my first experience with Apple Car Play and I know I'm going to love it. I do have a question, though: how does it get updated? Does that happen automatically when the iPhone gets a new iOS update, since Apple Car Play essentially mirrors the contents of the iPhone?

Yes, actually I was rather surprised that Apple Car Play is offered as standard in some of the Honda Civic models -- not all of them, though, but I believe that it's still mentioned as an option in those models. Pretty sure it is standard on all Accord models. Probably not offered on the Honda Fit models at all....

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is my first experience with Apple Car Play and I know I'm going to love it. I do have a question, though: how does it get updated? Does that happen automatically when the iPhone gets a new iOS update, since Apple Car Play essentially mirrors the contents of the iPhone?

Yes, actually I was rather surprised that Apple Car Play is offered as standard in some of the Honda Civic models -- not all of them, though, but I believe that it's still mentioned as an option in those models. Pretty sure it is standard on all Accord models. Probably not offered on the Honda Fit models at all....
From what I can see it updates with the iOS update, when 14 came out I got new backgrounds and a couple of other settings. Not sure if there's anything that the car needs to do.

iLunar

Power User
Reaction score
I had a rental car last last year when I was in Olympic National Park that had CarPlay, and I absolutely loved it. It was so seamless and integrated. It made driving super fun.

Typing this on my new pacific blue iPhone 12 Pro. It’s a beauty of a device, but the new shape takes some getting used to.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. I’m coming from an 11 pro, so I wasn’t expecting a big upgrade, but the panel just looks crisper with vivid, rich colors.

The camera is pretty good. I’m going on a hiking trip next week, so I’ll really get to test it out, then. I was hanging with some friends outside this eve, and night mode is a big upgrade this year. Here’s a shot from dusk.

875C2F77-C378-41B1-8606-39318AB22DF5.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I had a rental car last last year when I was in Olympic National Park that had CarPlay, and I absolutely loved it. It was so seamless and integrated. It made driving super fun.

Typing this on my new pacific blue iPhone 12 Pro. It’s a beauty of a device, but the new shape takes some getting used to.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. I’m coming from an 11 pro, so I wasn’t expecting a big upgrade, but the panel just looks crisper with vivid, rich colors.

The camera is pretty good. I’m going on a hiking trip next week, so I’ll really get to test it out, then. I was hanging with some friends outside this eve, and night mode is a big upgrade this year. Here’s a shot from dusk.

View attachment 882
View attachment 882

Congratulations, nice that you can see the difference from the 11. Agreed about CarPlay, now that I've had it I'll never go back. Texting and taking phone calls is all so simple and hands free, I had a buddy who had no idea that most of our texts were dictated through CarPlay, it works almost flawlessly.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
My 2016 VW e-Golf has CarPlay - it’s shocking that luxury makers nickel and dime their customers on things like that.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
From what I can see it updates with the iOS update, when 14 came out I got new backgrounds and a couple of other settings. Not sure if there's anything that the car needs to do.

Thanks, Eric! That's kind of what I figured but I wasn't sure. I know that when people have navigation systems in their cars that there is something they have to do to update that -- which I think involves a trip to the dealership. ?? Anyway, I'd thought that since in this case the actual content and everything is in my iPhone, not in the car itself that it makes sense for a regular iOS update to handle the heavy lifting. Cool!

I don't get that many texts or phone calls, and I may or may not handle them while I'm driving, but I am definitely looking forward to being able to easily enjoy my music and also getting a proper view when using Apple Maps as my navigation tool. In the past if going on a long trip I always used my Garmin Sat Nav because the screen is larger than on the iPhone and I like to be able to see with a glance what's ahead in terms of making the next turn, etc., rather than just relying on the verbal instructions. iPhone and Apple Maps were fine for brief short trips in somewhat familiar territory, though, but I rarely used my iPhone for that. Now with Apple Car Play, I'll always have a usable nav system with me! The thing I'll really enjoy the most, though, of course, is being able to enjoy my iTunes Library while tootling around town or on a road trip. I'd done that before, of course, in a limited way, with my last car when about a year or so ago I replaced the car stereo system and finally had a USB port into which to plug my iPhone and play the music that way but I still had to pick up the iPhone and do any changes in albums/playlists/songs that I wanted; now I'll just be able to do it right on the car's audio display monitor in Apple Car Play!

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks, Eric! That's kind of what I figured but I wasn't sure. I know that when people have navigation systems in their cars that there is something they have to do to update that -- which I think involves a trip to the dealership. ?? Anyway, I'd thought that since in this case the actual content and everything is in my iPhone, not in the car itself that it makes sense for a regular iOS update to handle the heavy lifting. Cool!
I'm sure the care comes with its own mapping software but I use the Waze app and it comes up in CarPlay, it updates regularly and gives all the realtime information.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, I think it does also have its own mapping software/nav system but I haven't gotten to that point in the manual yet! LOL! Still learning about what features and functions my new baby has or doesn't have, as the first day was just a bit overwhelming with all the information being thrown at me, the excitement of actually getting a new car after fifteen years, and the amazement at all the new tech stuff that runs the car now. Bedtime reading two nights in a row has been the thick User's Guide that came with the car. If one also wants a full-fledged manual, they can request that, too, from Honda, online.... The User's Guide provides all the information I'll need, I think, though, and of course as I begin to drive around more and use the different functions as needed, that'll be sufficient. Yesterday I didn't even turn the car on, I just spent time admiring her inside and out, shot some photos, then began moving my personal items into her. I sat in all the seats, looked at all the nooks and crannies, got acquainted with the places to stash items and the different buttons or dials or whatever. Figured that today will be the getting-to-know the tech aspects of the car, so I'll turn her on and with manual in hand, review the various settings and maybe tweak one or two now that I have a better idea of what different functions do.

I know I sound anal about all this, but I do not want to be out somewhere and suddenly get into a situation where I don't know how to use some function or feature in the car! A lot of the things are also automatically done now, the lights and such, but some things still can be controlled by the driver, too. I just need to get it all sorted in my head and in actual practice; after a while driving the new car will become as instinctive and natural to me as driving my beloved Acura was, but there is this period of adjustment on my part!

Good idea about the Waze app..... I used to have that a long time ago and then since I was not really using it I deleted it; now that it could be really useful to me I should get it again. I'll have to check my list of purchased apps, see if it is still listed in there, and if not, just start fresh.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I go naked with my iPhones in the house, but never when I leave the house. Prior to going out the door, I slip my iPhone 11 Pro into her lovely green Apple leather case and then for good measure I tuck her into a microfibre pouch intended for glasses or sunglasses, and then stick her into my purse. The microfibre pouch keeps any crud or dust that may be in my purse (or other container in which I might put the iPhone) from getting all over the iPhone or slipping inside the leather case. Keeps everything pretty pristine and scratch-free! When we get home again, the iPhone 11 Pro is released from her case and pouch, happy to sit around the house naked......

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
That makes sense. I’ve never understood the folks who go naked.

Same! iPhone is too slippery and I always have sweaty hands. Not a good combo. I’m waiting for this case. Rhinoshield makes the perfect cases for me because I hate cases in general. This gives excellent protection without hiding the iPhone’s beauty. And I still get to add some individuality with the pink accents.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I go naked with my iPhones in the house, but never when I leave the house. Prior to going out the door, I slip my iPhone 11 Pro into her lovely green Apple leather case and then for good measure I tuck her into a microfibre pouch intended for glasses or sunglasses, and then stick her into my purse. The microfibre pouch keeps any crud or dust that may be in my purse (or other container in which I might put the iPhone) from getting all over the iPhone or slipping inside the leather case. Keeps everything pretty pristine and scratch-free! When we get home again, the iPhone 11 Pro is released from her case and pouch, happy to sit around the house naked......
Why? Are you not afraid of dropping your phone on the floor at home?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Why? Are you not afraid of dropping your phone on the floor at home?
In all the years I've had iPhones (since Day One, Launch Day of the very first one in 2007) I have only dropped an iPhone twice -- once at home, and thankfully she landed on my oriental rug rather than on the bare hardwood floor or the kitchen floor -- and once in a store, where actually I didn't drop it, the iPhone slid out of the pouch I was using back then and went sailing....landed screen-down on the store's slippery floor, slid along a little before then coming to a stop. With my breath held, I ran to her, reached down to pick her up.....and not a scratch on her, no cracks anywhere, she worked just fine, as always. WHEW!!! The friend who was with me was watching anxiously and was relieved when I said, "I think my phone's OK!"

Not to say that I won't one day or evening drop either the iPhone 11 Pro or the iPhone XS (the one I use as my "home phone"/landline replacement so that I can keep the number that I have had for many years, long before cell phones), but so far I've managed not to do so. When I'm not actually using either iPhone, they sit in their own nice little stands -- during the day, near the computer workstation, and at night, on identical stands in the bedroom on top of the chest of drawers. When either needs to be charged I stick it on the charging dock, and again I have one of those in the living room area and one in the bedroom. In the nice weather when I'm out on the deck, I usually have the sliding door open so I can easily hear the phone if a call comes in. When it's time to take a trip to the library, the store or somewhere else, I slip the iPhone 11 Pro into her case and that protects her somewhat. I am not, and never have been, a believer in screen protectors. Ugh, remember those awful ones that were first offered, the ones that turned all orange-peel looking?!

I like to admire the beauty of my iPhones -- and I like the way they feel in my hand, although, yes, some models have been and/or are slippery to hold, a bit of a hazard! I think my favorite iPhone for looks was the gorgeous Piano Black iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Just a delight to look at and to hold! Right now I'm rocking the lovely green iPhone 11 Pro and the lovely Space Black of the XS. I noticed when looking at photos of the new iPhones that instead of Space Black this year, Apple is offering "Graphite," which looks almost as though it would match my new Polished Metal Metallic car! LOL! (Uh-oh, dangerous thinking there -- mustn't go there, must step away from that thought, push it out of my mind right now!!!......).

Many cases are too bulky or add bulk to the iPhone and I don't like that. Years ago I tried a clear see-through hard plastic case on one and was really afraid I'd scratch the iPhone when I had to remove it for some reason, and it was the devil to get off, too. I took it off and left it off and that took care of that case.....The rest of that year the iPhone went naked both at home and away from home. In looking at the selection of cases from Apple this year, I don't see any of the regular Leather cases for the iPhone 12 Pro / 12 Max, and all they're offering is the ones which would work with the Magsafe doohickey. That's too bad, really. If I were buying a new iPhone 12 Pro I'd be having to look elsewhere at third-party options for a case to suit me....

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2