iPhone General Talk

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Water and you lightening port. My duh moment with my iPhone XR.

A few months back, at the store, I got tired of leaving my phone at the cash register or even in the shopping cart on rare occasions. Rare was too often. So I got a lanyard to hang my phone around my neck and for ease of use I oriented the phone so it was hanging upside down by the lanyard, so when it’s hanging around my neck, I can pick it up and use it and the lanyard is hanging off the bottom of the phone.

This has been working great until yesterday when I dashed from the car to the house in a down pour, only about 20’. Hanging the phone upside down with the lightening port facing up is the completely apparat issue in hindsight when dashing through the rain. 👀

Later that evening when I plugged the phone in for charging I got a message “water detected in lightening port” charging unavailable. There was an override button, but I opted not to use that, but left it plugged in thinking sometime in the night it might start charging again. This morning it was still not charging, so I unplugged it did some research and found that using a hair dryer on the port was not a good idea, although I did use my wife’s hair dryer with the heat element turned off.

Message was still there, so I left it sit for an hour not plugged in and now fortunately it will charge again through the port. Now if it had not worked, I also have a wireless charger, which I could use in a pinch, but that would not be good for in the car when using the phone for navigation.

Anyway, all is well for now. Reorienting the phone so it hangs upright by the lanyard. But maybe next time in the rain, it will go in my pocket. :)

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I often wear my phone on a lanyard around my neck - especially when doing something like kayaking. However, I have a raincoat too. :p

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Huntn That's actually pretty interesting, that the message was so specific. I mean, the phone IS supposed to be IP67 water resistant. I would probably have just given it a blast of compressed air :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Huntn That's actually pretty interesting, that the message was so specific. I mean, the phone IS supposed to be IP67 water resistant. I would probably have just given it a blast of compressed air :D
If I had a can of compressed air on hand, I would have.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What's wrong with keeping the phone in your pocket when not in use? lol
Don’t like it in my pocket and often I wear athletic shorts when out and about, where it feels weighty in my pocket. Grandson ruined on of his phones keeping it in his pocket, apparently flexed it too much.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Don’t like it in my pocket and often I wear athletic shorts when out and about, where it feels weighty in my pocket. Grandson ruined on of his phones keeping it in his pocket, apparently flexed it too much.

One reason I didnt get the Pro Max - it will pull down your shorts lol

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We are annoyed with big sur, to wit, iTunes has been deprecated to the point that it no longer syncs music and playlists to the phone (a 7+). We were using it to play music on BT in the car while on our travels, but not being able to use the Apple Music app becomes problematic

The music library is non-small and has some stuff in it that cannot be recouped from Apple. I guess something like VLC could be used to contain and play the library, but recreating the playlists would be a major hassle. Obviously Apple has gone with revenue generation for the music app, which is quite irritating for someone who has been using iTunes for twenty years and now has to figure out an alternative (streaming is just not possible when you are on that road between Farson and Lander Wyoming).

Does anyone here know the shortest path to switching away from iTunes/Music to some alternative player?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We are annoyed with big sur, to wit, iTunes has been deprecated to the point that it no longer syncs music and playlists to the phone (a 7+). We were using it to play music on BT in the car while on our travels, but not being able to use the Apple Music app becomes problematic

The music library is non-small and has some stuff in it that cannot be recouped from Apple. I guess something like VLC could be used to contain and play the library, but recreating the playlists would be a major hassle. Obviously Apple has gone with revenue generation for the music app, which is quite irritating for someone who has been using iTunes for twenty years and now has to figure out an alternative (streaming is just not possible when you are on that road between Farson and Lander Wyoming).

Does anyone here know the shortest path to switching away from iTunes/Music to some alternative player?
And I was just pondering about upgrading to Big Sur from Catalina... :unsure:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

Wait, what? Sounds insane! That’ll affect me! Gotta look into this…

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I always felt that iTunes was the weak link in the Apple ecosystem and was happy when it disappeared. All my music is resting safely on an external hard drive in a drawer somewhere. Everything I want is available on Apple Music, and I happily pay to access anything any time.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Syncing music is done within Finder on Big Sur.

The 2nd-last post on this thread shows the screen:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I always felt that iTunes was the weak link in the Apple ecosystem and was happy when it disappeared. All my music is resting safely on an external hard drive in a drawer somewhere. Everything I want is available on Apple Music, and I happily pay to access anything any time.
I found iTunes to be pretty good for organizing my relatively large mostly ripped music collection. Plenty of stuff not available on current streaming services. Anyways, I found a workflow that worked for me while having my media organized, tagged and accessible outside iTunes, ready to be migrated to something else if necessary. Now might be time for the latter… :cry:

Not entirely happy with Apple’s decision back then to require iTunes for putting music on my iPod/iPhone/iSomething, but it worked well for me anyway. Smart playlists were yummy!

In any case — The iPods were amazing for playing music. Modern iPhones are not. They work well enough, sure, but the UI is not as good as it should be.

D

Deleted member 199

It's not compatible with my nudity ...
Use natures pocket.

1622573229773.png

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The iPods were amazing for playing music. Modern iPhones are not. They work well enough, sure, but
… then somebody calls and the car echoes with the sound of your ringtone that happens to cut off that awesome instrumental at the end of Telegraph Road as you are descending from the desert plain into the angry black canyon the introduces Moab, and then the cabin reverberates with an inane conversation about the health of some plant on the back porch and should it be moved into the house.

Top Bottom
1 2