iPhone vs DSLR/Mirrorless

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have always been a proponent of any camera one has, so long as they're enjoying photography and all the joy it brings. For many who want more control and professional gear we upgrade accordingly to get more out of it as a hobby or a profession in some cases. Personally, I use the iPhone much more for photography these days if the subject is more worthy of point and shoot than setting up for a real shoot somewhere.

It seems like Apple is putting a lot of energy into their camera systems, being the primary goal on their annual upgrade cycle and while the software and brains have gotten infinitely better over the years, they've always lacked in the lens department until recently. Apple has found a supplier for a new telephoto lens that may offer up to 10x optical zoom, this is an area that all point and shoot smartphones have been unable to compete with DSLR/mirrorless.

No matter how great they make the camera, a pea sized lens will only ever be so great without a serious physical change to allow for larger glass but it's interesting to see them going to these lengths and the camera system is obviously their primary focus.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I think anything that makes photography more accessible is good for the industry. I realize that computational photography is only going to get better and that some people will really shy away from "real" cameras because they will think the AI version is just as good. But there will be a different subset of people who will want to experience the real thing from real cameras.

There is also a huge resurgence in film, and while I don't expect many new film cameras to be released (certainly not from mainstream companies, but there are some upstarts offering new toy cameras) I am hopeful overall for photography as a hobby.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm still working with the iPhone camera to get better control of it but it's a struggle, even with apps that let you change manual settings I have trouble with framing and the ability to see the screen in broad daylight. I think of it more as a point and shoot for a broad scene (or landscape maybe) but to truly frame and properly photograph a subject I need way more control and reach than it offers.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I'm still working with the iPhone camera to get better control of it but it's a struggle, even with apps that let you change manual settings I have trouble with framing and the ability to see the screen in broad daylight. I think of it more as a point and shoot for a broad scene (or landscape maybe) but to truly frame and properly photograph a subject I need way more control and reach than it offers.
Yes, I definitely agree with this, especially the framing aspect. But I will say that when I take the time to shoot via LR on my phone and get a raw file, those images are infinitely better than the standard camera app. It's just kind of a cumbersome process to me.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I hear you... For the simple stuff I shoot, I'd say 95+% of the time I'm happy with my phone. I routinely shoot in RAW (wish that were a sticky option) and that seems to work ok. I tried a couple of camera apps with manual settings in the past but (for me) found them frustrating to use. I really like the ability of putting 100% of my effort thinking through the composition, light, gesture, etc. and not sweating camera settings. And then fixing small nits in LR. Guess I'm lazy! :)

I still have to occasionally shield the lens with my hand to avoid flare when the sun is in the same general direction, but not in the frame. That often drives me nuts - and could be a simple fix by Apple not using a reflective silver lens bezel. I need to blacken that with a black Pigma pigment ink pen - I think that will do the trick.

If I were a professional making money off my photos, or engaged in another project, then yeah, I'd likely go back to a legit camera (which I still keep in a drawer).

But... I still occasionally get swayed by a shiny piece of camera tech candy - thus my recent inquiries into the RX1R. I'm going real slow on that. :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes, I definitely agree with this, especially the framing aspect.

Yes! For me the problem is getting vertical elements (like the side of a building) vertical, and ditto with horizontals horizontal.

Usually, depending on the composition, both can't be achieved simultaneously (unless it's a straight on shot). And that's OK. But for me, neglecting to get one or the other straight is a huge fail. I have to get one or the other straight; otherwise it looks like I didn't give a damn in composiion. Period.

With a phone I find its low mass and grip situation the issue. The good news that's (usually) easily corrected in LR. I just have to compensate by standing a bit further back so I can have enough pixel area to take into account the resulting crop from perspective editing.

That's really my only real nit.

Last edited:

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
When I shoot macro I often use the camera back/lcd, but I am framing so closely on my camera, that the bulk of the camera helps to block out the extraneous stuff. When I am shooting "normal" I use the viewfinder. With the phone, I have to shoot wide (I'm still on an 8+ so no macro function), and I just can't block out all that stuff mentally when shooting. It's hard for me to see a photo composing on the phone.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
For me the iPhone is a handy P&S in my pocket or purse, ready at any time to whip out and quickly snap something that I've seen that I find interesting or appealing. Sometimes the images come out quite good, while at other times one can definitely see the differences between it and my "real" cameras. The image in my Avatar was shot on the iPhone 12 when a few days ago I spotted a lovely display of pretty flowers in hanging baskets, mostly pansies -- that look much healthier than the ones that survived the winter planted in my neighborhood -- and pulled out the iPhone for a few quick snaps before entering the grocery store to do my shopping. In the full-sized image one can see some smearing of detail and lack of crispness in general. Works fine for an avatar, though!

Sweet Pansy Face.jpeg

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a Canon 40d back in the day and shot some 20-30k photos on that camera with a Tamron 18-250mm. Loved that camera. Bout the time I got my 6+ I stopped lugging that camera around and actually found someone who wanted to buy it on Ebay (albeit for not a lot - but at least it found a home).

Since the 6+ I've been using my phone as my primary camera. I usually did close up photography anyway for most of my hobbyist shots. I used to have a Flickr page and was active there before they went the direction they did (long time ago). Considered trying to sell photos but in the end I got tired of taking photos and took a long break.

The telephoto lens on the 12 PM got me shooting for fun again.

My wife recently got a Canon Rebel T7 because we've been following elite birding groups at UCLA. She got the Canon 75-300mm lens - and we're saving up for something a little better. She's loved it - but while she's gotten into DSLR photography again, I've stuck with my iPhone with no desire to lug around an expensive DSLR again.

Though, when she upgrades her lens I might consider dropping $400 on another T7... but I don't know. It's nice walking around following her without carrying anything and just enjoying - using my phone to take anything that's within range. She has to use an external drive with Photos (ALT+Opening Photos to change libraries all the time) and importing the photos is such a massive pain (doesn't work half the time). lol.

Some of the photos are amazing. She upload a ton to iNaturalist too.

Entropy

Reaction score
The new sensor in the iPhone 14(Pro?) is rumoured to be a 1/1.3 one, for the normal wide lens. That’s actually quite large, and if Apple can maintain a 1.5-1.6 aperture, it provides the same light gathering ability (and DOF at equivalent focal lengths) as f2.8 on m43s and f5.6 on 35mm/FF. That’s pretty remarkable.
The telephoto assembly has typically used a much, much smaller sensor, effectively using crop factors to achieve equivalent longer focal lengths and maintain compact dimensions. That’s where folded optics come into play. But it’s not a given how Apple will utilize the technology - will it be to provide longer focal lengths alone, or will they also try to implement optical zooming and/or allow the tele sensor to get bigger? We don’t know yet, and different customers might want the relaxed design constraints to be utilized in different ways. 2023 can’t come soon enough. :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The new sensor in the iPhone 14(Pro?) is rumoured to be a 1/1.3 one, for the normal wide lens. That’s actually quite large, and if Apple can maintain a 1.5-1.6 aperture, it provides the same light gathering ability (and DOF at equivalent focal lengths) as f2.8 on m43s and f5.6 on 35mm/FF. That’s pretty remarkable.
The telephoto assembly has typically used a much, much smaller sensor, effectively using crop factors to achieve equivalent longer focal lengths and maintain compact dimensions. That’s where folded optics come into play. But it’s not a given how Apple will utilize the technology - will it be to provide longer focal lengths alone, or will they also try to implement optical zooming and/or allow the tele sensor to get bigger? We don’t know yet, and different customers might want the relaxed design constraints to be utilized in different ways. 2023 can’t come soon enough. :)
Interesting, this is the first time I've heard of folded optics so I learned something today. I think it's interesting (and useful for me) that they're putting so much effort into their camera systems. At the same time, even by today's standards, when you look at the equivalent professional equipment (even say a 50mm prime) the lens alone is at least half to three-quarters the size of the Max model iPhones alone, never mind a real zoom lens which can weigh in the pounds.

They're pulling out all the stops with software and sensors but in the end I don't see how they can actually compensate for the amount of physical glass needed for real optical range and quality beyond closeups and landscapes. As it is all the lenses on the back are a blight on these phones IMO, on the 13 Max, even with a case, the phone won't lay flat and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know if something like this exists (and I'm too lazy to look) but if you like having more manual control I think some kind of hardware attachment synced to those settings on a smart phone would help. Trying to achieve that sliding around and tapping on a screen tends to botch it up or take you out of the moment.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't know if something like this exists (and I'm too lazy to look) but if you like having more manual control I think some kind of hardware attachment synced to those settings on a smart phone would help. Trying to achieve that sliding around and tapping on a screen tends to botch it up or take you out of the moment.

I've found that frustrating as well. Even just moving my finger over the screen to adjust exposure usually messes up composition a little. Or skews horizontal/vertical alignment - my pet peeve.

Most of the time, other than tapping the focus point, I just shoot in RAW and adjust exposure in Lightroom. Seems to work pretty well, or good enough, 90+% of the time. And I always make multiple exposures, just in case.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've found that frustrating as well. Even just moving my finger over the screen to adjust exposure usually messes up composition a little. Or skews horizontal/vertical alignment - my pet peeve.

Most of the time, other than tapping the focus point, I just shoot in RAW and adjust exposure in Lightroom. Seems to work pretty well, or good enough, 90+% of the time. And I always make multiple exposures, just in case.
I typically use the volume button to activate the shutter but even then it's unwieldy, everything is essentially software based with a lack of physical controls and hard to see/frame in daylight as well. On my normal setup I like having real tactile buttons and a viewfinder.

Top Bottom
1 2