Iran protests thread

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Seems like the people of Iran are getting more and more upset with the theocracy.

I get the feeling that this unrest is not simply going to die down, that Tehran and Khameni are on the verge of losing their grip on the country. This looks like the George Floyd protests on steroids. The young Iranians, who have no memory of Pahlavi vs Khomeni, are getting harder and harder for the Ayatollah to rein in.

What happens when the Government of Iran collapses? Will the West be able to sit in the bleachers without trying to mess the country up one more time? Is there a chance that Iran could end up a better place?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I suspect the US and Europe have a plan tucked away to foster another Shah-like leader in that event. Iran is too important with its resources and strategic geographical location (the gulf, and north). And, the1979 revolution wasn't that long ago where before then people experienced enormous economic growth, freedom, educational opportunity, stature, women moving ahead in society in western dress, and modernization under the Shah. I spent time working in Iran during that period with Tehran reminding me of San Francisco with astonishing development with tower cranes engaged in construction projects as far as you could see. Of course everything was not wonderful, Iran's SAVAK coming to mind. And areas outside of large cities hadn't evolved much in the last thousand years - mud and wood homes in rural areas with open sewers (called jubes) running down the sides of dirt road streets. It's just that a lot of people (and their descendants) have a long memory of the much better times and freedom pre-revolution.

Personally, I think the time is ripe. With western assistance or not.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
a lot of people (and their descendants) have a long memory of the much better times and freedom pre-revolution
The revolution happened 43 years ago. To have a real grasp on life before then, an Iranian would have to be in their mid-50s right now. That is less than 10% of the population of that country. And the young people are mostly not enthusiastic about the rigid theocracy, but the Ayatollah has the means, at least up to now, to keep them down. His/their control on the country is looking increasingly fragile.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Although different and watching from afar, I’m sensing similar unrest as there was when the Shah was in power. And am optimistic about significant changes coming in the not so far off future.

Now that I’ve been into photography for awhile, I would love to go back and make photographs - both in Tehran and other cities, as well as rural areas where shepherds tend sheep and life has stayed much the same for hundreds of years.

Top Bottom
1 2