Is an M1 Max complete overkill for photography?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
okay, for FileVault, in attempting to turn it on, I get this message:

View attachment 14221

but I am the company/school/institution.....does this just mean the password I use to log in?
A recovery key is a string of characters that you can lock away in a safe somewhere to unlock your mac in case you forget your password. When you turn on filefault, it creates the key and shows it to you or allows you to store it in icloud if you wish. Not sure why it’s telling you one has already been set?

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
A recovery key is a string of characters that you can lock away in a safe somewhere to unlock your mac in case you forget your password. When you turn on filefault, it creates the key and shows it to you or allows you to store it in icloud if you wish. Not sure why it’s telling you one has already been set?
yes, I don't know why either, so I canceled out of that. I've never used FV on any computer, so it shouldn't be picking it up from anything in Migration...Should I click continue without knowing what the password is??

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
yes, I don't know why either, so I canceled out of that. I've never used FV on any computer, so it shouldn't be picking it up from anything in Migration...Should I click continue without knowing what the password is??

It’s not a password, so maybe all it’s saying is that instead of creating its own recovery key it will use the key that somehow has been created for you (the wording makes it sound like you have a mobile device management profile set up on the machine).

I would think it’s safe to continue.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
okay, for FileVault, in attempting to turn it on, I get this message:

View attachment 14221

but I am the company/school/institution.....does this just mean the password I use to log in?
Take a look at this article from Macworld. I've never tried it, but I've seen this procedure documented in several places and I think it should work.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Take a look at this article from Macworld. I've never tried it, but I've seen this procedure documented in several places and I think it should work.

Yes, those are the same directions (different source) that I linked above, but those files don't show in the Keychains folder. Maybe I should try the terminal option.

I'm not actually as advanced of a user as most of you, and terminal is quite over my head and takes me back to my elementary school days of trying to learn dos.

r.harris1

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple has always suggested with their XDR monitors (their big pro and the ones on these latest laptops) that they do a bunch of state-of-the-art upfront calibration at the factory and that it’s stable over time. Dunno if it’s true, of course. When I’m mobile and not driving an external color calibrated monitor, I use the preset they have for photography (P3-D65) and it seems to be reasonable and consistent. My external home monitor is P3-centric anyway. Turn off true tone and anything else that adjusts anything automagically (dimming, etc). Interestingly, the only types of devices Apple actually currently supports for calibrating the XDRs are spectroradiometers which cost a zillion dollars. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212851.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I found this page, but I don't have the relevant files in the Keychains folder.

I’m not seeing any harm in letting it use a pre-existing recover key - is it not letting you proceed with turning on filevault or something?

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I’m not seeing any harm in letting it use a pre-existing recover key - is it not letting you proceed with turning on filevault or something?
Oh, actually I did find those files and deleted them. There were three different paths to a Keychains folder, but I misread the path until I read Roller's link more carefully. 🙂

I think I could have turned on FV but I wouldn't know what the key is if ever I need it. Now I will just start fresh.

Thank you Roller! (and everyone else who continues to answer my dumb questions. ❤️ )

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, actually I did find those files and deleted them. There were three different paths to a Keychains folder, but I misread the path until I read Roller's link more carefully. 🙂

I think I could have turned on FV but I wouldn't know what the key is if ever I need it. Now I will just start fresh.

Thank you Roller! (and everyone else who continues to answer my dumb questions. ❤️ )

These are far from dumb questions :) Better safe than sorry when you are about to encrypt your drive!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

BTW, since you are switching to a laptop, if you haven’t enabled “find my mac” in icloud settings, you may want to do that.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
BTW, since you are switching to a laptop, if you haven’t enabled “find my mac” in icloud settings, you may want to do that.
yep i did do that one!!

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Happy to help, and sorry for not noticing you linked to the same directions I did. But if my doing so got you to read them more closely, all's good, and glad you got it working.

Top Bottom
1 2