Is an M1 Max complete overkill for photography?

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Personally, I’ve just done migration assistant moves (either machine-to-machine or machine-to-disk-to-machine) that forms a straight lineage all the way back to around 2008. My mac still has powerpc binaries and such floating around. Doesn’t seem to be causing me any difficulties.
hmmm. maybe just doing a regular migration is the way to go then.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
hmmm. maybe just doing a regular migration is the way to go then.

Some people swear by ”clean installs.” I guess your mileage may vary.

The only “problem” I have is if I search in spotlight for “photoshop,” it will show me not just photoshop CC, but various versions dating back to a free copy of version 3 I got with some camera a decade ago - if I accidentally choose the wrong one, it gives me a dialog box about how running version 3 will damage my computer (it’s confused because it’s a powerpc binary that won’t run at all). I probably should spend an hour getting rid of some of that old junk, but I kind of like having it around as souvenirs :)

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

I'm one of those people. My primary concern is keeping my files, which I have organized in a nice little portable folder hierarchy that can be dragged and dropped anywhere. Everything else can be reinstalled, and tweaked to taste within about an hour or so.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

The only “problem” I have is if I search in spotlight for “photoshop,” it will show me not just photoshop CC, but various versions dating back to a free copy of version 3 I got with some camera a decade ago - if I accidentally choose the wrong one, it gives me a dialog box about how running version 3 will damage my computer (it’s confused because it’s a powerpc binary that won’t run at all). I probably should spend an hour getting rid of some of that old junk, but I kind of like having it around as souvenirs :)
I think I've largely already gotten rid of the older Adobe files; I was pretty particular in cleaning out 32bit stuff. Migrating would be so much easier. I have a lot of small preferences into a lot of programs that would be a pain to rebuild, but I always hear about the benefit of clean installs. I'm great at tracking actual files/folders/etc in specific spots, but it's that hidden stuff that I worry I'll miss and have a hard time recreating. Even stuff like favorites in Bridge, which get wiped out if you don't have your external drives connected on a regular day.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My current install on my Mini is a migration from / through 4 machines back :D

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My current install on my Mini is a migration from / through 4 machines back :D

That’s about where I’m at. My recollection is I had two different 17” MBP’s, then a 15” MBP, then a 15” MBP with touchbar, and now an M1 MBP, and I’ve migrated all the way through.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes! I think mine was 15" MBP >> i5 Mini >> i7 Mini >> 15" MBP >> current Mini ('18 i7 flavor).

So I think that puts me starting with Lion[?]

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Oh, I have one other question. Should I upgrade my iMac to Monterey today before trying to migrate? Or will it not matter.

Stupid Fedex forgot to deliver my computer yesterday, so I'm still waiting on it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, I have one other question. Should I upgrade my iMac to Monterey today before trying to migrate? Or will it not matter.

Stupid Fedex forgot to deliver my computer yesterday, so I'm still waiting on it.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything like a major OS update that might tank your existing machine, i.e., if it's up and running perfectly fine, leave it, migrate it (then later if you want to update it after everything is on the new machine, go for it).

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Personally, I wouldn't do anything like a major OS update that might tank your existing machine, i.e., if it's up and running perfectly fine, leave it, migrate it (then later if you want to update it after everything is on the new machine, go for it).
Okay, I'd rather not update the iMac right now if I don't have to, I just didn't know if the two machines needed to be on the same OS.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'd rather not update the iMac right now if I don't have to, I just didn't know if the two machines needed to be on the same OS.
They definitely don't. I migrated an old iMac running Big Sur to a Studio Max running Monterey without incident. But it may be good to update your new computer to the latest version of Monterey (12.4) before migrating.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
They definitely don't. I migrated an old iMac running Big Sur to a Studio Max running Monterey without incident. But it may be good to update your new computer to the latest version of Monterey (12.4) before migrating.
Good idea, thanks. After a FedEx debacle yesterday, my husband is now in receipt of the package, so I will get this sorted tomorrow. 🙂 I thought sending it to his office was a good idea since I am in and out all day and can't sign for things, but FedEx somehow forgot to even put it on the truck yesterday even after saying it was out for delivery.....but now all is good. Can't wait to get it up and running.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Good idea, thanks. After a FedEx debacle yesterday, my husband is now in receipt of the package, so I will get this sorted tomorrow. 🙂 I thought sending it to his office was a good idea since I am in and out all day and can't sign for things, but FedEx somehow forgot to even put it on the truck yesterday even after saying it was out for delivery.....but now all is good. Can't wait to get it up and running.
Depending on the workplace, delivering to an office may or may not be a good idea. I work at a very large organization with multiple buildings spread over multiple city blocks. Years ago, I had something delivered to work for the reason you describe — it took days to track it down, IIRC. I prefer having deliveries sent to the Apple Store when that option is available. That way, I know my equipment will get there and be in a safe place until I can pick it up. I'm glad it worked out for you, though.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Depending on the workplace, delivering to an office may or may not be a good idea. I work at a very large organization with multiple buildings spread over multiple city blocks. Years ago, I had something delivered to work for the reason you describe — it took days to track it down, IIRC. I prefer having deliveries sent to the Apple Store when that option is available. That way, I know my equipment will get there and be in a safe place until I can pick it up. I'm glad it worked out for you, though.
I ordered from B&H, so shipping to Apple wasn't an option. 😉 He's also had stuff delivered from B&H there before....this was just fedex being dumb. Was scheduled for yesterday, but then marked as early for Monday delivery, even though on my side it showed it was still in Pennsylvania (we are in Virginia). Then yesterday it showed as out for delivery, but after a delivery exception, I called FedEx CS and they said it never actually got on a truck at all....so really hard to track at all.

He works for a small bank in a relatively small building, so odds are a lost package won't ever get too far, but all finally ended well.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Okay, so I got everything migrated just fine. 🙂

I am trying to open Photoshop, but I am pretty sure it's the Intel version, since it was just copied from my iMac. I've tried downloading a new version, but I keep getting a message about needing Rosetta. Do I need Rosetta for the silicon version? Lightroom opened just fine but I don't know that it's the silicon version either; how do I verify?

btw, I have checked the Adobe site, but it's kind of circular in information.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If you go into About This Mac >> System Report >> Software >> Applications. For each app there's a column on the far right titled KIND, and it will show Universal (meaning M/Apple Silicon specific in the package) or Intel (meaning it needs Rosetta) and also iOS (since you can download iOS/iPadOS apps and run them natively):

1652979233463.png

I'd go ahead and install Rosetta 2, then you don't have to worry about it. Plus, you get weird situations where the app itself is M native, but something like the installer/version checker is not.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
If you go into About This Mac >> System Report >> Software >> Applications. For each app there's a column on the far right titled KIND, and it will show Universal (meaning M/Apple Silicon specific in the package) or Intel (meaning it needs Rosetta) and also iOS (since you can download iOS/iPadOS apps and run them natively):

View attachment 14149

I'd go ahead and install Rosetta 2, then you don't have to worry about it. Plus, you get weird situations where the app itself is M native, but something like the installer/version checker is not.
Thanks. I agreed to Rosetta, which I think was necessary for Creative Cloud, and now CC tells me I have updates for all my Adobe products, so hopefully the update will swing it over to the correct versions. I'll check in system report once they update. 🙂

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. I agreed to Rosetta, which I think was necessary for Creative Cloud, and now CC tells me I have updates for all my Adobe products, so hopefully the update will swing it over to the correct versions. I'll check in system report once they update. 🙂
Yeah, I think the deal is that the crappy adobe installer, and certain components of CC, need rosetta still, even though photoshop, itself, does not.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Yeah, I think the deal is that the crappy adobe installer, and certain components of CC, need rosetta still, even though photoshop, itself, does not.
Yes, after updating, the only thing that didn't automagically update to M1 was Bridge, which I guess is still Intel only.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I don't think I realized just how slow my iMac actually was. No spinning beachballs in LR. LR accesses files on my NAS faster now than before, even though now I'm wifi only and my iMac was ethernet. Even the screen size from a 27" isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, since I'm sitting so much closer to it.

Me likey.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yes, after updating, the only thing that didn't automagically update to M1 was Bridge, which I guess is still Intel only.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I don't think I realized just how slow my iMac actually was. No spinning beachballs in LR. LR accesses files on my NAS faster now than before, even though now I'm wifi only and my iMac was ethernet. Even the screen size from a 27" isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, since I'm sitting so much closer to it.

Me likey.
Congrats! I know there were times with my old iMac that I wanted to throw it out the window as it just sat there stuck spinning when having both LRC and PS open. The M1 is fantastic and I've not had a single issue since moving to it.

Top Bottom
1 2