Is there any actual debate done in Congress

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Excuse my possible ignorance here, and maybe this what civilized debating is, but every time I see coverage of what is passing as debate in Congress it just appears to be members making speeches like it's an awards show. Maybe there's some applause, boos, or hecklers, but I don't see any back and forth. I don't see any "On what you just said just now...." right after it was said. Am I missing something or is this actually what's happening?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Excuse my possible ignorance here, and maybe this what civilized debating is, but every time I see coverage of what is passing as debate in Congress it just appears to be members making speeches like it's an awards show. Maybe there's some applause, boos, or hecklers, but I don't see any back and forth. I don't see any "On what you just said just now...." right after it was said. Am I missing something or is this actually what's happening?
I think you are dead on. Maybe if we didn’t have political parties that took absolute stances on so many things, we could have actual debates in Congress. As it is… any actual debates take place behind closed doors, usually between members of the same party.

If they don’t kill the filibuster, I’d be in favor of them at least restoring the requirement that you actually, you know, filibuster. If you wanna block something, get up there and talk for as long as you want to hold things up. This 🐂💩 “filibuster” they have today doesn’t require the opposition to do diddly-squat.

Top Bottom
1 2