It can get cold in Texas

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's supposed to drop into the teens on Monday. I am not looking forward to it. We aren't prepared for this in Texas. The entire city will shut down with just a little ice.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Omigod. Could you imagine being in the cars that FedEx truck ran into? I wouldn't be surprised if those people are dead.

I mentioned elsewhere that for normal snow, we in the north have the advantage because we're used to driving on it. But black ice and freezing rain? A whole other story. In the black ice car accident I got into years back, even the responding patrol car slid out of control. If anybody tells you it's possible to drive safely on that stuff, they're effing lying.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's supposed to drop into the teens on Monday. I am not looking forward to it. We aren't prepared for this in Texas. The entire city will shut down with just a little ice.

Reuters put up a good read about how the movers and shakers of the grid in Texas reacted to realization that they weren't going to be able to keep the juice on for everyone... and coudn't afford to just let the automatic safety shutdowns "manage" the ensuing blackouts. Apparently there's widespread consensus after the fact that they were "minutes and seconds" from having a total collapse of the grid, a situation that can take weeks or months to remedy. Meanwhile coming up to that point they got a message from the regulatory authority in Texas that there was "no market solution" to the impending sequence of automatic shutdowns, a situation that one manager said would have been chaotic at best.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
1252F517-ADAC-4C37-9FB5-52E6C8CD7CCC.png

That seems to be a very common thing we hear from these conspiracy types: think for yourself. 🙄

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Circling back to the thread title, Texas is a big state. The people who seem to feel it's always balmy there don't seem to understand the sheer size. I spent 3 years in Amarillo, and we always had snow in winter. And plenty of ice storms. I don't recall ever losing power though. And then there's Mobile where we have horrible weather most of the year (winter is usually nice!), and our power drops constantly.

So how much is it the state, and how much local government?

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
It is exhausting being around so much stupid in this state. The power grid failed because the ENTIRE state was under a winter watch and it couldnt hand it because it was never winterized. They're trying to blame it on AOC and the Green New Deal. And republicans in this state eat it up as truth.

Then Ted Cruz flees and conservatives defend his actions and mock AOC for actually raising money and helping at a Houston food bank. We're doomed as a country.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It is exhausting being around so much stupid in this state. The power grid failed because the ENTIRE state was under a winter watch and it couldnt hand it because it was never winterized. They're trying to blame it on AOC and the Green New Deal. And republicans in this state eat it up as truth.

Then Ted Cruz flees and conservatives defend his actions and mock AOC for actually raising money and helping at a Houston food bank. We're doomed as a country.
Anybody defending Ted Cruz after this is past the point of no return and so far to the right that they’re going to fall off their flat earth.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Anybody defending Ted Cruz after this is past the point of no return and so far to the right that they’re going to fall off their flat earth.

They were defending Ted Cruz and mocking AOC. They kept saying it was suspicious and what are her true motives for doing this? Conservatives are so used to their politicians doing nothing to help the people that something like AOC helping looks "suspicious"

I read comments and just shook my head. The majority of people are way beyond stupid. It gives me a headache.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Scientists have explained how global warming is actually responsible for this. Look for these sort of events to become more commonplace.

From ABC7
"Cold air that was normally was pretty well contained to the north of us is starting to wobble a little bit," said UC Riverside Professor Will Porter, who believes the fact that the earth's poles are warming much faster than the rest of the planet is to blame.

"What this is causing is a weakening of the temperature gradients. So, the differences in temperature between the pole and ,say, us in the mid-latitudes - that temperature is becoming less," Porter said. "And when you have less of that temperature difference, what the theory is that that is weakening the wall, the boundary that tends to trap that cold air up to our north."

TLDR
We're losing containment of cold air in the polar icecaps and it's leaking/spilling down into the states.

U

User.45

They were defending Ted Cruz and mocking AOC. They kept saying it was suspicious and what are her true motives for doing this? Conservatives are so used to their politicians doing nothing to help the people that something like AOC helping looks "suspicious"

I read comments and just shook my head. The majority of people are way beyond stupid. It gives me a headache.
The absurdity of this is that Republicans advocate for charity as a "non-coercive" way of helping the less fortunate as a replacement for competent government action, so AOC is actually beating them up in their ground game. It's like watching SJP's GSP's march through UFC.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User.45

Scientists have explained how global warming is actually responsible for this. Look for these sort of events to become more commonplace.

From ABC7

TLDR
We're losing containment of cold air in the polar icecaps and it's leaking/spilling down into the states.
"But scientists don't know".
-Donald J Trump

Top Bottom
1 2