It is all a simulation

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
There has been some solopsistical-type debate as to whether the reality ("collective hunch") we experience might be just some crazy person's simulation (is that a diamond-shaped octahedron above your head?j. Now we have some substantive evidence that it is not, that reality is a self-generating medium that has some parts that defy simulation.

Sorry, folks, it looks like we might be real after all.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Can't it be both?
My own personal belief:
"God" was once a singular consciousness. Space / Time didn't exist. "God" had an existential crisis - fractured into multiple personalities (billions?). This is where creativity grew exponentially, due to the interactions between these beings within the "God" collective. We devised universes. Existing outside of "Time" we have limitless potential for creativity.

This is one of these universes.

Me, I think we come here to experience things. I think there have been many, many reboots over the 4.6Billion years that this universe has existed. Different iterations of life and consciousness. We keep making the game more complicated. More interesting.

A friend of mine turned me onto the "Seth Speaks" book many years ago - it echoed a lot of what I felt. I do believe that we're just avatars for our greater selves that exist in another plane. :). This is the most complicated MMORPG ever devised. T'will be interesting when we evolve our technology to the point where the game within a game is next to impossible to distinguish. :) (maybe that's when we get another reboot) :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think there have been many, many reboots over the 4.6Billion years that this universe has existed.

The observable universe is around 13.8B years old. Our solar system is 4.6B years old.

But since the universe is expanding , we can't see outside it to know if there are other universes.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
But since the universe is expanding , we can't see outside it to know if there are other universes.
That seems wrong on several levels. To be able to observe the existence of other universes is not a matter of not being able to look past the edge of our universe, because another universe might not even be comprised of the same kind of medium (spacetime) as ours.

But, the expansion of our universe is not pushing its observable horizon away from us. Spacetime itself is literally expanding. The distance between stationary points A and B is increasing, but with that comes a universal net change in the speed of light: the time it took for light to get from A to B is the same as it was a year ago, when A and B were closer together, because light traverses the medium according to the local "density" or whatever.

And, really, the thing that happened thirteen billion years ago, we are not entirely sure what that was.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
And, really, the thing that happened thirteen billion years ago, we are not entirely sure what that was.

Plus we've been letting a bunch of old white guys call the shots on best guesses for way too long. This is a good read: Chanda Prescod-Weinstein's The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime & Dreams Deferred. That would be Dr. Prescod-Weinstein to some of us.

The Disordered Cosmos - cover art.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2