'It's Okay To Be A Unicorn' Comes Under Fire In Ohio School District

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The pathetic people that jsut getting crazy.

Some people are apparently out for unicorn blood in Ohio. Parents in the Buckeye Valley School District near Columbus reportedly mobilized last week to ban the children’s book “It’s Okay to Be a Unicorn.”
The funny, upbeat book with colorful unicorns (and a rainbow) lets kids know it’s OK to be themselves — which the book’s detractors apparently viewed as a subversive message.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The right-wingers piss and moan about cancel culture until there’s something they dislike. Then they get their local or state legislature involved and start suing and/or locking up people who talk about stuff they dislike.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
For those actually wondering what the book is about, apparently it’s about a unicorn who lives among horses and makes hats as a living. He is self conscious of his horn and none of the horses know he’s a unicorn because he conceals his horn wearing hats. One would presume as this is a story of self acceptance, the horses accept him as a unicorn and he learns he doesn’t need to wear a hat. Wow, that took about 2 minutes of research!

Apparently the author is a straight, married man. None of his other books appear to be focused on LGBT or “progressive” issues— most seem to involve themes of self-acceptance, kindness, and friendship. A couple of his books appear to depict unicorns as the antagonist too.

Could this story be interpreted as a story about sexuality and gender identity… maybe? The book reportedly professes general self-acceptance, especially of physical traits. I suppose one could argue the book actually discourages gender confirmation. Let’s not forget this book is designed for children age 3-6, an age cohort not well regarded for understanding of complex metaphors or sexual knowledge.

But if we want to judge books by their cover, I guess that means any and all books with rainbows or unicorns should be banned by schools? I imagine that would exclude many children’s books considering many have illustrations of rainbows. Honestly someone in this school district should go to a PTO meeting and complain (sarcastically) about all the St. Patrick’s Day books in the library and their rainbows that are clearly subtly promoting homosexuality through depictions of gay leprechauns. Chasing pots of gold is obviously a metaphor.

If parents want to argue in what manner is age appropriate for their children to be exposed to ideas of sexuality and gender identity, I don’t think that’s necessarily unwarranted. That said, I obviously don’t believing censoring LGBT concepts is productive, beneficial, or just and it’s incredibly unfortunate some parents refuse any mention of these topics. One day children will be exposed to these realities.

It is important to be cognizant of how such complex topics, much like racial concepts, are taught to young minds so that they are being taught understanding and acceptance rather confusion and/or draw false conclusions.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Given that the unicorn tries to conceal a physical aspect about himself which is unusual, out of the norm from others, I would guess that the book could more easily be interpreted as a story urging acceptance of those who look different in some way, who have a physical disability, etc..... The motifs of acceptance, kindness, friendship, etc., are not uncommon in current children's literature. The book Wonder, about a child with craniofacial differences, which has been made into a film, definitely emphasizes these themes, as do many others.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
But if we want to judge books by their cover, I guess that means any and all books with rainbows or unicorns should be banned by schools? I imagine that would exclude many children’s books considering many have illustrations of rainbows. Honestly someone in this school district should go to a PTO meeting and complain (sarcastically) about all the St. Patrick’s Day books in the library and their rainbows that are clearly subtly promoting homosexuality through depictions of gay leprechauns. Chasing pots of gold is obviously a metaphor.

I suspect that the christains are merely furious that the rainbow used to belong to them (Noah's Ark is a christian story, I tells ya, them jews done tried to steal it) until the gays went and started using it. Before it became a widely recognized gay symbol, Jesse Jackson was using "the Rainbow Coalition) to promote inclusiveness, which is another awful thing that is largely non-divergent from gay pride/acceptance.

D

Deleted member 215

Another hypocritical nothingburger from the "free speech/small government" crowd. Honestly, keep banning books, right-wingers. Keep establishing yourself on the wrong side of history. You'll lose, just like you've lost every other cultural battle.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If people are looking for something to crusade against, they'll find it wherever they want, in the most innocuous places.

Spongebob? Pushing the gay agenda.

Sesame Street? Destroying traditional American values.

Turning Red? Promoting underaged sex.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
re: gay leprechauns

If you speak to any magical woodland creatures, they'll tell you, the gay is more or less redundant ...

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
If people are looking for something to crusade against, they'll find it wherever they want, in the most innocuous places.

Spongebob? Pushing the gay agenda.

Sesame Street? Destroying traditional American values.

Turning Red? Promoting underaged sex.

I can play this game:

I’ve known the Hebrew numerical system since whenever kids lean numbers… so let’s say around 30 years. I’ve never looked at the monster logo and saw three vav (Hebrew #6). So I’m impressed.

This is a long one but it’s amazing.

Apparently psychiatrists and psychologists both agree there are Magic the Gathering related suicides. Apparently MTG was popular in the 90’s… just like his overhead projector.

I’ve never played MTG or Dungeons and Dragons or dealt with Pokémon so I cannot attest to the dangerous effects. Furthermore, I have never had Monster energy drink- I don’t drink such garbage. But I’m glad I have been educated on these important topics.

Perhaps there’s a big market for Christian based, evangelical Christian approved card games like Pokémon and Magic. It would probably be pretty warning when Jesus wins every time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 215

The funny thing is this is nothing new. Fundamentalists were doing this in the 70s with rock music, playing it backwards and looking for the hidden messages. This is a way of life for some fundamentalist Christians. It's part of what has made QAnon so popular with certain segments of the population. A lot of them were raised with this kind of thing.

Top Bottom
1 2