January 6 Casts A Long Shadow

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons for Trump's popularity was some on the right believing the left was calling them a bunch of idiots. Now the defense lawyers for the liars and insurrectionists seem to be doing the same. When both the opposing team and your team are calling you idiots maybe it's time to entertain the possibility that you are in fact an idiot.

This full quote was amazing.. saw your shorter snippet of it earlier.

Watkins, the “Q Shaman” Jacob Chansley’s attorney, said his client had Asperger’s syndrome and indicated that Chansley’s mental state — and the impact of Trump’s “propaganda” efforts — would play a role in his case.

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all fucking short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re fucking retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.”

“But they’re our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, our coworkers — they’re part of our country. These aren’t bad people, they don’t have prior criminal history. Fuck, they were subjected to four-plus years of goddamn propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since fucking Hitler.”

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I love this. Tim Ryan went on a beautiful, brutally honest rant against the cowards who wouldn't vote for the commission.

U

User.45

Single meme summary of the grotesque (source: reddit)

1621561303351.png

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
This full quote was amazing.. saw your shorter snippet of it earlier.
Watkins, the “Q Shaman” Jacob Chansley’s attorney, said his client had Asperger’s syndrome and indicated that Chansley’s mental state — and the impact of Trump’s “propaganda” efforts — would play a role in his case.

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all fucking short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re fucking retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.”
There is a problem here, though. Aspergers is far from equivalent to "retardation". Temple Grandin has aspergers, as does Anthony Hopkins. It is a condition that is sometimes associated with highly intellectual, very smart people. The disability associated with it is getting along with other people – something most of us struggle with occasionally or often. There is also the empathy deficiency, but having seen how we here talk about MAGAts, it is pretty clear that empathy is not a uniform quality even in the best of us.

U

User.45

There is a problem here, though. Aspergers is far from equivalent to "retardation". Temple Grandin has aspergers, as does Anthony Hopkins. It is a condition that is sometimes associated with highly intellectual, very smart people. The disability associated with it is getting along with other people – something most of us struggle with occasionally or often. There is also the empathy deficiency, but having seen how we here talk about MAGAts, it is pretty clear that empathy is not a uniform quality even in the best of us.
The thing I really respect about the people I know with Aspergers: they might lack intuitive empathy, but they are absolutely terrific at learning empathy analytically. So in my books, adults (!) with Asperger's only get a pass on how they express empathy, but not on whether they are capable of it, because they are and should be.

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
Unless there are some serious top-level prosecutions for this then it isn't going to amount to squat and it will just get repeated, possibly (probably) worse. Trump supporters and the far right will just learn they need to go bigger next time. Trump would love nothing more.
I have said since this happened that it was just a warm-up. They know they can't get people to vote for them after this.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Republicans: January 6 was a tourist visit; nothing bad happened.
Also Republicans: 73% blame left-wing protesters for storming the Capitol

WTF?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Republicans: January 6 was a tourist visit; nothing bad happened.
Also Republicans: 73% blame left-wing protesters for storming the Capitol

WTF?
Turns out blue lives don't matter after all, these Republicans would literally drag their own mother's under a bus if it came to saving face. My only issue here is Democrats are letting these pieces of shit get away with it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Turns out blue lives don't matter after all, these Republicans would literally drag their own mother's under a bus if it came to saving face. My only issue here is Democrats are letting these pieces of shit get away with it.
A single Democrat is: Joe Manchin. But even he seems to be losing patience. F the filibuster. It was taken away for some nominees by Dems, then for SCOTUS nominees by the GOP. Time for it to go away completely.

U

User.45

A single Democrat is: Joe Manchin. But even he seems to be losing patience. F the filibuster. It was taken away for some nominees by Dems, then for SCOTUS nominees by the GOP. Time for it to go away completely.
Or make it a standing one. No quicker way to make the senate younger.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Manchin is upset at his Republican ”colleagues” over the failure to pass the January 6 commission bill. Joe, has been in the Senate since 2010. Hasn’t he figured out the GOP game plan yet? 8 years of obstruction followed by 4 years of extreme power grabs. And now that the Democrats are in power, people like Manchin are refusing to play hardball. Grow up, kiddies. Mitch will not give you anything. You need to TAKE it.

You’re upset, Joe? Do something. Put up or shut up. Killibuster the filibuster.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Manchin's clinging to the fantasy that someday we're all going to link hands with Republicans and have a group hug. Manchin will talk about how disappointed he is but he won't do anything about it.

Biden's not much better.

Top Bottom
1 2