Joe Biden Pushing for AB 5 Nationwide

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden continues to back Assembly Bill 5, despite the fact that it completely obliterated the gig economy in our state. AB 5 has already proven to be a complete disaster in California, but Biden wants to implement it nationwide.
link

disclaimer, I did Uber/Lyft until it got seriously stupid to do so. made a few bucks but that died down the more people joined. I did make 800 bucks in one day during Halloween..:D

uber/lyft pros .
you work when you can if you can, there is no time clock and there are times when you can make good money.
far less damn drunks on the road.

cons
you are at times killing yourself for according to a study I say 1/3 of what minimum wage is, your car takes a serious beating and you can end up dead/raped on the side of the road, I only had one scary encounter.

it's your life and you should be able to do with it as you wish, even if you want to work for 1/3rd of what minimum wage is.

it's more than just uber/lyft, plenty use "contractors" for even magazines editorials etc

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I can understand why these measures are being passed. A lot of big businesses are abusing the gig economy to get a full amount of labor out of people for a quarter of the cost.

Though with California being California, I can't help but think they're going to be too heavy handed in their response.

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
I can understand why these measures are being passed. A lot of big businesses are abusing the gig economy to get a full amount of labor out of people for a quarter of the cost.

Though with California being California, I can't help but think they're going to be too heavy handed in their response.
gig economies do open the door to people who can't for whatever reason be tied to a set schedule, but it comes at a cost to them for sure.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
gig economies do open the door to people who can't for whatever reason be tied to a set schedule, but it comes at a cost to them for sure.

I think it's great for supplemental income, something to do on the side if you have the time. The problem is, a lot of businesses have seen the model, where people work at will, and no one's expected to pay their sick leave, vacation, healthcare, or any of the other things that are expected of a standard employee, and said "let's run everything like that."

We had a good thing that a lot of unscrupulous people tried taking advantage of, and now we're going to lose it because it's going to be over regulated to account for the abuse these unscrupulous people will bring to the table.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
disclaimer, I did Uber/Lyft until it got seriously stupid to do so. made a few bucks but that died down the more people joined. I did make 800 bucks in one day during Halloween..:D

No shit. Well, that seems like an opening for some good stories.

Hahahah, in SF one night (see previous, "the shit we did in silicon valley ..."), we sort of jumped into an Über with these girls, we threw $400 at the driver (I think it wound up being like $440), said, "Take these women where they want to go, take us to X, and forget our faces, we don't care how the app works, drive!"

I recall riding bikes at 3am that night, I don't recall much after that ...

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
plenty of people are ending up with nothing at all thanks to GOVT over reach
In a separate memo seen by CNBC, Ness said that California contractors can apply for a full-time or part-time position in California. Contractors who wish to continue contributing can do so but “need to understand they will not be paid for future contributions,” he said. “We know this may be a difficult decision, so we’re giving everyone affected 30 days to decide what works for them,” Ness added.
work for free mother fuckers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You all need to stop blaming states for failures caused by COVID. People have all but stopped using them.

Top Bottom
1 2