Joe Rogan losing influence

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
https://www.theverge.com/22632213/joe-rogan-experience-spotify-exclusive-audience-reach

The article says it’s directly related to his move to a Spotify exclusive, which I did find annoying, but speaking for myself I started losing interest before that when he started randomly spewing far right talking points or giving those views equal weight to science and fact based data. His move to Texas was shocking, not. Before that I also got tired of him using every opportunity to parlay any topic into a rambling monologue on MMA.

As far as becoming a Spotify exclusive, and I acknowledge this is a first-world problem of the laziest order, but that switch was the nail in the coffin for me. I use Apple Music. I don’t need Spotify. Before his move, The Last Podcast on the Left podcast became a Spotify exclusive as well. I used to be a regular listener to their podcast as well, but also pretty much stopped listening, or even remembering, soon after they switched to Spotify exclusive. I sometimes check them out on Spotify, but after scrolling through the list of episodes I missed it appears they’re done doing the type of episodes I’d be interested in anyway. I’m sorry, but deep dives into high profile true crime doesn’t have the same audience as UFO abductions.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just keep hearing how he's a nutbag antivax/masker, I couldn't imagine anything I would like to listen to less.

I don't know what he's doing now, but he used to have interesting experienced and educated people on. His format is to just have a casual conversation so it's like hagning out with friends. Of course he'd pick their brains on their expertise and they'd respond back in a way that you didn't need a degree to understand. So there's no surprise if people feel they are being educated...but then he'll cross the line with his ignorant opinions and the listeners who came to see him as their guru can't think critically of anything he says.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I just keep hearing how he's a nutbag antivax/masker, I couldn't imagine anything I would like to listen to less.

yeah, the only people I ever hear worshiping this guy seem to be Trump supporters. I'll pass lol

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
yeah, the only people I ever hear worshiping this guy seem to be Trump supporters. I'll pass lol

His popularity actually started on the left. Now he says things like (paraphrasing) “Just because I’m pro gun and hunting, pro police, pro military, anti cancel culture, a vaccine skeptic, and moved to Texas doesn’t mean I’m a Republican. I don’t know where people are getting that idea from. I mean, I smoke pot and am concerned about income inequality. I'm concerned about the homeless so I moved to where there are a lot less of them. I pay a lot less taxes in Texas. I couldn’t possibly be a Republican.”

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
His popularity actually started on the left. Now he says things like (paraphrasing) “Just because I’m pro gun and hunting, pro police, pro military, anti cancel culture, a vaccine skeptic, and moved to Texas doesn’t mean I’m a Republican. I don’t know where people are getting that idea from. I mean, I smoke pot and am concerned about income inequality. I'm concerned about the homeless so I moved to where there are a lot less of them. I pay a lot less taxes in Texas. I couldn’t possibly be a Republican.”
In other words "all I do is act like a Republican in every way, but I smoke weed so don't label me". The worst thing about these people is that they are total cowards when it comes to supporting Trump. He's your guy, own it and stop pretending.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Why do people care what the Fear Factor host says? America is way too obsessed with “reality” TV shows. 4 years of Trump apparently didn’t teach people anything.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
In other words "all I do is act like a Republican in every way, but I smoke weed so don't label me". The worst thing about these people is that they are total cowards when it comes to supporting Trump. He's your guy, own it and stop pretending.

He started out as a standup comedian and continues to do standup, but that's currently way down on the list of people's knowledge of him. He talks about it a lot and being in the comedy scene. Having said that, he thinks Trump is hilarious in a "I can't believe the President of the US said that!" way, including anything he's said that is dangerously ignorant. At some point with Trump it's not funny.

I think Joe has been oblivious to how much he (Joe) influences people and he's been ignorant about that way too long. He doesn't do the social media thing which might be a big part of his ignorance. He just records his show and hasn't paid much attention to the millions of listeners part that's relevant. Moving to Spotify is probably the first time he's had overseers on his podcast. Before that nobody really going "watch what you say." I'm sure this has been a rude awakening for him, but I'm sure he'll continue to use his "I'm a fucking moron" defense that has also worked so well for the news media.

D

Deleted member 215

Yeah, Joe "Oprah For Men" Rogan never appealed to me, but from what I've heard, his "red-pilling" has been going on for a while now. If I want edgy, I listen to Chapo. :)

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
When he’s talking about things unrelated to politics, he’s entertaining. When he’s talking about MMA, he knows what he’s talking about. When he talks about politics, it’s clear where he stands. I do enjoy him a good portion of the time, but the biggest issue I have with him is when he plays the “both sides“ card when it’s clear he sympathizes more with the far right. He’s reluctant to criticize anything on the right even though he tries to paint himself as a centrist libertarian.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
When he’s talking about things unrelated to politics, he’s entertaining. When he’s talking about MMA, he knows what he’s talking about. When he talks about politics, it’s clear where he stands. I do enjoy him a good portion of the time, but the biggest issue I have with him is when he plays the “both sides“ card when it’s clear he sympathizes more with the far right. He’s reluctant to criticize anything on the right even though he tries to paint himself as a centrist libertarian.
Defends every Trump action 100% without question, but refuses to say they support Trump. Cowards.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I had listened to a couple of his podcasts over the years. You just need to remember this guy's just a failed actor (wasn't he the maintenance guy on News Radio?)
Anywho. I hadn't realized that he had gone over to the stupid (Trump/Anti-Science/Anti-Vaxxer/Plandemic) side, when one of my friends who has bought into the bat-shit-crazy forwarded me one of Joe's recent podcasts. Proceeded to pull it apart line by line for my friend showing how everything was false that they were conveying (and that the credentials of Joe's guest were also falsified). I call this "barker journalism" - where the interviewer and interviewee prop each other up so much, flattering each other, making over-generalized, ridiculous claims. (think professional wrestling). This is fiction. Entertainment. They belong in the same genre.

...and by Barker, I mean those from the circus "Step right up..." Grandstanding.

When you have the interviewer and interviewee calling each other patriots, you know it's time to turn the channel. :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is on the front page of Reddit, what a total piece of shit this guy Joe Rogan is. I get he was a comedian - once - but he looks like an entitled loser in his mom's basement berating everyone for wearing masks, the worst sort of trash. Bill Burr owned him here.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
I read somewhere that recently, the word “libertarian” has come to mean a conservative who wants to be allowed to smoke pot. Now that pot is not associated with dirty hippies and black people anymore, many right wingers have decided they like pot now, but conservative sounds like old people, so they have appropriated the term libertarian.

As for Rogan, someone else’s quote, again: he’s a dumb man’s idea of a smart man.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
You just need to remember this guy's just a failed actor (wasn't he the maintenance guy on News Radio?)
As for Rogan, someone else’s quote, again: he’s a dumb man’s idea of a smart man.
Yes and yes. The character he played on Newsradio wasn’t all that bright, and he hosted the lowbrow show Fear Factor. What you see is what you get. He won’t be guest hosting Jeopardy any time soon.

Top Bottom
1 2