Jussie Smollett Sentenced to Jail, Probation for Lying to Police in Staged Hate Crime

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

After an emotional day of testimony on both sides, actor Jussie Smollett has been sentenced to 150 days in jail in connection to a staged hate crime that occurred in Chicago in Jan. 2019.

Smollett will begin his sentence immediately. He was also ordered to pay more than $120,000 in restitution to the city of Chicago, and was fined $25,000.

He was also sentenced to 30 months of felony probation.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Never mind. Just found the answer to my question.

‘I am innocent and I am not suicidal!’: Jussie Smollett has outburst in court

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Never mind. Just found the answer to my question.

‘I am innocent and I am not suicidal!’: Jussie Smollett has outburst in court
I don't think he's all there or he would've never done something like this.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all the hand-wringing and emotional hair pulling over this case. The OG prosecutor did her job and that should have been the end of it. The amount of money and resources expended for this one misdemeanor case is telling of American racism. Yes. Racism. The judicial authorities went out of their way to make an example of a very early and visible Black Lives Matter advocate (not leader). Yet they have not spent even a tiny fraction of that combating police brutality. Including police principles involved in this case. From the Sambo of a police chief, the former and current mayor of Chicago. And of course, the judiciary that came down with the full force of their office against Jussie. The judge's diatribe in court was a high profile example of Black the Blue. Even though the boys in Blue were executing a vendetta against BLM+Jussie. The drug dealing co-conspirators didn't suffer anything. In fact, they were treated as special guests at taxpayers' expense. If the authorities truly believe that Jussie concocted a scheme, they should have at the very least charged the brothers with crimes for conspiring and executing the scheme. But nada from police and prosecutors. Millions of dollars spent on what SA Kim Foxx calls "mob justice" against a single Black man.

Smollett was indicted, tried and convicted by a kangaroo prosecution in a matter of months. Meanwhile, the families of more than 50 Black women murdered in Chicago over the last 20 years await justice.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think he got what he deserved. He used his position of power and privilege as a celebrity, as well as piggy back off of legitimate racial injustices brought to light around the same time, to amplify his clearly false claims in order to benefit himself in some way- at the very least attention seeking. The evidence all points in one direction.

Had Jussie admitted to lying, I think being fined and paying restitution would be fair- I’m sure he can afford it. I sense that’s what the judge would have decided as well. In that he did not admit and apologize, I don’t think jail time is unwarranted- particularly because he used his position to amplify these claims and went out of his way to do so. With more power comes more responsibility. When someone in his position concocts fake hate crimes and sucks up extensive law enforcement resources, it takes these services away from legitimate crimes. And just as bad, it delegitimizes legitimate hate crimes.

150 days was more than I expected, I’m sure he will feel far less. I think even a few weeks in jail would be sufficient.

Apparently he has been released from jail pending his appeal. I’m not sure how typical this is but I imagine most defendants with a public defender don’t get this benefit. It doesn’t seem unreasonable for someone with such a low level crime to not be jailed during an appeal. I suspect his appeal will be unsuccessful.

As for the brothers, I believe they should be punished too. They may have received some sort of immunity for testifying against JS though.

Honestly, I think insanity would have been a better defense. JS likely has some mental health issues that need to be addressed. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Top Bottom
1 2