Kanye West, the media's predictable cycle, and the rise of reactionism

D

Deleted member 215

Kanye West is in the news again, this time for anti-Semitism and "White Lives Matter" T-shirts. But my question is: is getting worked up over Kanye's antics productive? It's pretty clear that what Kanye wants is a reaction, a "cancelation", if you will. This is exactly how Trump got into the White House. He said outrageous things, the liberal media got outraged, and middle Americans thought maybe there was something to what Trump was saying. Why let this cycle repeat over and over when it's so predictable?

The fact is, many Americans, especially working class Americans, know something is wrong, that the "American dream" isn't working, that life is just getting worse for many of us. Yet the two options they are provided with are "the status quo/nothing fundamental will change", represented by the Democrats and never-Trump Republicans and the reactionary right, which is correct in identifying that there's a problem, but incorrect in blaming it all on immigrants/Jews/LGBT, whatever. (This doesn't just happen in the U.S., of course, and isn't just happening now.)

But who do you think people are going to gravitate towards? When presented with keeping things as they are or returning to a past golden age, what do you think people will choose? The ones who say "I hear you, something's wrong, and we're going to fix it". Complacent liberals always browbeat and say "how could these dumb rubes fall for Trump and his racist bullshit?" but they go for it because there's no viable alternative. This is the problem with having no real leftist party in this country. All we get is moderate/more-of-the-same or right-wing media-savvy nutjobs like Kanye and Trump. I'm not saying Kanye will be president, but this is the kind of thing that mainstream media pushback only encourages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm thoroughly convinced that there's a huge swath of people who would vote for a Kanye West if he were to run, if it's one thing Americans love it's an unstable nutjob with a big mouth spouting a bunch of nonsensical bullshit.

That said I think he's just a man with a screw loose, no matter what side of the aisle one is on it's pretty clear he's not playing with a full deck. Let him worship white people if that's his thing, he's an entitled millionaire with people waiting on him hand and foot so it fits, maybe he can look into whitening his skin too.

D

Deleted member 215

Well, in other Kanye news: he’s buying Parler, one of the conservative social media sites nobody talks about anymore.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly convinced that there's a huge swath of people who would vote for a Kanye West if he were to run, if it's one thing Americans love it's an unstable nutjob with a big mouth spouting a bunch of nonsensical bullshit.

That said I think he's just a man with a screw loose, no matter what side of the aisle one is on it's pretty clear he's not playing with a full deck. Let him worship white people if that's his thing, he's an entitled millionaire with people waiting on him hand and foot so it fits, maybe he can look into whitening his skin too.

I swear Americans have got hooked on personal celebrity. Used to be they just followed celebrities but now millions of the same people all want to be a celebrity too.

Social media platforms are awash with individuals angling for more followers, more likes, daily or hourly attention. How terrible if one of them should get more mention than an established pop culture icon.

So more of the people that were already celebrities have to make sure they stay one-up on garden variety "influencers" and TikTok artists, YT podcasters and gadget reviewers.
Life in the firehose spray of the infonet is hard for high profile attention addicts. It's leading some of them to just plain go over the edge.

D

Deleted member 215

From a seemingly sane Republican.

Conservatism doesn't really have any direction to go in other than increasing kookiness. There's nothing really "conservative" about the kind of nonsense Kanye West is peddling anyway; it's just a reaction against a certain social climate (i.e. a "woke" one). It's defined entirely by what it's not. But since it's so obsessed with being "against the grain" (what they perceive to be "the grain", almost entirely social, and very different from the left's conception of "against the grain"), it attracts conspiracy theories and nutjobs.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, plus, stop wearing these ugly mofos ...

1666701478515.png

Top Bottom
1 2