Ketchup chips (and other Canadian treats)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Okay, snack time.

Who here has tried these zingy little delights from our friends north of the border?

If they sold ‘em here I’d get them, like...every other week.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Is this thread limited to Canadian culinary treats, or can it be expanded to culinary treats from the cuisines of other countries?

Such as the classic Belgian chips (frites, pommes frites) served with mayo?

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Let's consider them a variation. 😉

I just never understood why ketchup chips never caught on here, except as I understand it some of the New England states.

This is the United States. We have pickle chips, pizza chips, jalapeno chips, sweet potato chips...everything but marijuana chips and cow chip chips. Yet we can't support this basic flavor.

And it's like Lay's has sabotaged themselves, too. My daughter called me from the store one time to let me know that she actually found them. This was one of the very few times they ever tried to import them. I eagerly told her to bring some home and...they tasted almost exactly like barbecue chips--nothing like Canadian ketchup chips.

*Sigh.*

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Curried chips were a post-pub favourite in my student days, and curried coleslaw chips were for when we were feeling especially famished and in a mind for cross cultural culinary adventures.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this thread limited to Canadian culinary treats, or can it be expanded to culinary treats from the cuisines of other countries?

Such as the classic Belgian chips (frites, pommel frites) served with mayo?

My other favorite Canadian treat is tourtières.
The original fries. Fact is, I don’t put anything on my fries. Although I have been known to use vinegar on my chips now and then.

This is the United States. We have pickle chips, pizza chips, jalapeno chips, sweet potato chips...everything but marijuana chips and cow chip chips. Yet we can't support this basic flavor.

I’ll bet you could find marijuana chips in Colorado or California.

Curried chips were a post-pub favourite in my student days, and curried coleslaw chips were for when we were feeling especially famished and in a mind for cross cultural culinary adventures.

Anything with curry is good in my book.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Look no further. I had these on a Quebec ski trip last year.

Attachments

• 2B8FD9FD-7B73-4CA1-B44A-98858AEC729C.jpeg
    2B8FD9FD-7B73-4CA1-B44A-98858AEC729C.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 59

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
I bought them several years ago at my step daughter’s request. She hated them. They were on the shelves for a while then less noticeable. Coincidentally I saw them a few weeks ago on a shelf. Don’t think they’re moving well.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Was this in the United States or elsewhere? Because I've had ketchup chips sold here that weren't the real thing.

Top Bottom
1 2