Lane Keeping Accuracy

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It sounds like this is pretty different depending on car manufacturer, I know in my BMW it's like bumper bowling and you can't take your hands off the wheel for more than 10 seconds or so but in slower traffic it keys in on the car in front of you and works flawlessly. Still, at freeway speeds I never take my hands off the wheel, it often struggles to read the lines, even when they seem visually obvious.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Autopilot seems to do fairly well. I initially thought it was being too biased towards the left part of a lane, but looking at the cameras revealed how biased to the right side of the lane I am as it revealed to be pretty darn down the center of the lane.

It does seem to get confused when an entrance/exit lane pops up when in the right lane and can't determine where the lane is until the dotted lines show up.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Autopilot seems to do fairly well. I initially thought it was being too biased towards the left part of a lane, but looking at the cameras revealed how biased to the right side of the lane I am as it revealed to be pretty darn down the center of the lane.

It does seem to get confused when an entrance/exit lane pops up when in the right lane and can't determine where the lane is until the dotted lines show up.

How does auto pilot do when handling an object in the road? I don't think even the advanced ones could tell the difference between an empty bag that you can just run over, and a rock that you need to swerve to avoid if there isn't anyone on your sides.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
How does auto pilot do when handling an object in the road? I don't think even the advanced ones could tell the difference between an empty bag that you can just run over, and a rock that you need to swerve to avoid if there isn't anyone on your sides.

Haven't run into that situation myself.

But seems inconsistent from videos. Sometimes autopilot recognizes it needs to attempt to do something vs needing human intervention due to no reaction.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It sounds like this is pretty different depending on car manufacturer, I know in my BMW it's like bumper bowling and you can't take your hands off the wheel for more than 10 seconds or so but in slower traffic it keys in on the car in front of you and works flawlessly. Still, at freeway speeds I never take my hands off the wheel, it often struggles to read the lines, even when they seem visually obvious.

Do you have what we call "tar snakes" out there? It is where they fix cracks with a tar strip about 4-6" wide. If you are driving into the sun, they can easily look like lane lines. Just wondering if they confuse the cars as well.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have lane keep assist in both cars. I like some of the new car tech but I don’t care for Subaru and Toyota’s offerings for LKA. I hear Hyundai does it well.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Same. I tend to hug a little tighter to the right, I wish you could dial in some "center offset". It always startles me a little when I engage it, and it jukes to the left immediately.

One thing I really love on the Model 3, is the ACC or Autopilot control, it's so immediate and precise to engage and control the speed, I engage ACC all the time, since it's just a quick flip down on the right stalk.

I just recently learned for Autopilot you can tap the speed limits signs on the display to set the speed.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
My Lexus had some kind of lane departure feature or lane keeping feature. I tried it once but I didn't trust it or use it very often.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well let’s be clear, there’s two different types of systems. One’s that keep you from falling out of a lane and one’s that keep you centered in the lane. Perhaps there is also a third, one that does the latter and does a very poor job at it.

Probably the best systems I’ve personally used is Tesla. Volvo, and Mercedes also have very good systems. I have yet to try Land Rover’s on my fathers- I feel like I have high expectations for such a premium quality car but JLR often falls short with its drivers features.

I haven’t been overly impressed with Toyota. I used GM’s standard land keeping (not centering) and it was atrocious. Mazda was only slightly better.

I’d really like to try Cadillac’s SuperCruise (which uses LiDAR mapped roads and compares with onboard cameras). While it doesn’t have the extensive flexibility of Tesla’s system, from what I’ve heard it’s phenomenal for the roads it does work on, which is most major highways. Most reviewers say it’s at least as good if not better than Tesla.

I’ve also heard great things about Genesis and Hyundai driver assist systems. I am really impressed with what Genesis is putting out (aside from their awful steering wheels). Unreleased to autonomous driving, their feature of having the turn signal camera appear in the instrument cluster replacing the speedometer or tachometer gauge is brilliant. Every car should have that.

Turn signal cameras should be the next big safety requirement in cars. Blind spot assist is great, but nothing beats having a camera. And placing the camera in a logical and I intuitive place like Genesis/Hyundai does is a must. I’ve been in Hondas where the turn signal cameras are displayed in the center infotainment screen, but that really takes your eyes off the road.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have both on my Kia. The lane assist drives me nuts. I feel like I’m always fighting it. Auto, OTOH, is awesome. It’s great for long interstate driving when you need a drink, a handful of candy, or to blow your nose. The car doesn’t like you to keep your hands off the wheel for too long and will [loudly] advise you to put your hands back on the wheel when it deems you’ve had enough of a break.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Tesla Christmas release, 44.25 adding ... turn signal blind spot cameras :)

The latest update has AP working exceptionally well, I'm going to test it through here o_O

1640103355805.png

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have both on my Kia. The lane assist drives me nuts. I feel like I’m always fighting it. Auto, OTOH, is awesome. It’s great for long interstate driving when you need a drink, a handful of candy, or to blow your nose. The car doesn’t like you to keep your hands off the wheel for too long and will [loudly] advise you to put your hands back on the wheel when it deems you’ve had enough of a break.

I cut off the lane assist on my Tacoma. It's annoying as hell.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I cut off the lane assist on my Tacoma. It's annoying as hell.
My Hyundai is affectionally called the "Nag Car" by my kids. LKA is constantly beeping when I drive... Ok! I admit it that I don't use my blinka that much when I lane change. Call me a Masshole... :)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
My BMW has an assisted driving feature that works up to about 40 MPH. The car stops, starts, and stays in its lane without driver input. It's meant for rush hour, stop-and-go driving, and it's quite effective. It's taken me time to trust it, though. The lane departure system is also quite good, and it's prevented me from drifting into an adjacent lane a few times.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
My Hyundai is affectionally called the "Nag Car" by my kids. LKA is constantly beeping when I drive... Ok! I admit it that I don't use my blinka that much when I lane change. Call me a Masshole... :)

That's why I cut it off. The constant beeping.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
That's why I cut it off. The constant beeping.

Yes! Sometimes I feel like the character in the tell tale heart, who just wants the beating the heart to stop and confess to my crimes of lane changes without a signal. Just make the beeping stop...

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
the "Nag Car"
Man, I despise the Dunning-Krueger automobile that assumes it is so much smarter than you. I taught my car to leave the door locks alone because that auto-lock feature just pissed me off. The, recently, I was driving an Escape and I put it in neutral and shut the engine off, at which point it started screaming at me "PUT IT IN PARK! PUT IT IN PARK! PUT IT IN PARK!" I mean, come on.

U

User.45

Same. I tend to hug a little tighter to the right, I wish you could dial in some "center offset". It always startles me a little when I engage it, and it jukes to the left immediately.

One thing I really love on the Model 3, is the ACC or Autopilot control, it's so immediate and precise to engage and control the speed, I engage ACC all the time, since it's just a quick flip down on the right stalk.

I just recently learned for Autopilot you can tap the speed limits signs on the display to set the speed.

So does AP adjust now for adjacent cars? It REALLY got me nervous driving next to trucks with my kids in the back and AP was coming within <2 feet to the trucks when there is plenty of space on the other end of my lane.

Also, AP kept me in the blind spot of adjacent cars all the time, and I've had a near-collision because of this. Is this issue fixed?

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
So does AP adjust now for adjacent cars? It REALLY got me nervous driving next to trucks with my kids in the back and AP was coming within <2 feet to the trucks when there is plenty of space on the other end of my lane.

Also, AP kept me in the blind spot of adjacent cars all the time, and I've had a near-collision because of this. Is this issue fixed?

I haven't experienced AP adjusting based on traffic in the other lane hugging one side of their lane. Now AP should react if the car invades your lane, but obviously still be ready to take over if it doesn't.

AP doesn't care about blind spot avoidance of other vehicles. All it cares is the speed you set, whether it can maintain that speed plus maintain the follow distance of any vehicles ahead of you in your lane that you set( it will prioritize follow distance than speed), etc. So if you set 65 MPH and can maintain 65 MPH due to no one ahead of you in your lane, if it happens to put you in someones blind spot in the lanes next you, it happens to put you in their blind spot. Again if that vehicle invades your lane, it should react by slowing and/or turning away from the vehicle. But I don't think it is capable to determine if your present position puts you in a vehicles blind spot and avoid it.

Not sure if any system is capable of that yet, but who knows. This area is not something that interests me too much when it comes to cars.

Top Bottom
1 2