Latest crime - buying a house while black

U

User.191

Bullshit were they not profiled: Of course they were profiled. There's no way anyone can honestly say had this been a white trio that the police would have gone in mob handed, guns fucking drawn.

The correct response should have been - at most - a single patrol car with an officer walking up to the house and speaking to the folks in a reasonable manner. The sort of thing that they'd have done if the visitors where white.

And that's assuming they'd have even arrived at all given that no crime was being committed.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I really expected there to be a "Karen" behind it, but it seems the police at least had a valid reason to go there:

A neighbor had called authorities, saying a suspect arrested at the property a week prior had returned to the scene,

However, after taking one look at the men, it should have stopped right there. Certainly don't look like squatters.

Hope they sue and win enough to buy a house in a nicer neighborhood. For cash.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Good thing they weren’t birdwatching too.

I’m guessing the house didn’t sell, given that the prospective buyer’s neighbor would be someone who calls the police because a black guy has to be a squatter, not a realtor. 🤨 Hell, I wouldn’t wanna live in the same neighborhood as that caller guy.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This happened in a nearby community a black entrepreneur was leading a real estate tour for people (many of which were also black) in his class to show them what they can have if they are successful, nobody was unruly, they were just walking up the street. Needless to say everyone in Whitebreadistan freaked. Just a couple of examples:

29497344-8411007-image-m-45_1591892561450.jpg

29494308-8411007-image-a-41_1591892198451.jpg

29494292-8411007-_You_re_telling_me_you_were_prepared_and_ready_to_shoot_people_a-a-5_1591893456915.jpg

The man leading the walking tour said he was raised in a loving home, got an education and never faced issues of gangs or racism, this event totally changed his outlook on things, unfortunately.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m almost beyond words. 😡

What a racist neighborhood.
It's frankly disgusting, people think of CA as progressive but in the rural areas it's full of racism and hatred. I recently went to a work retreat in Oakland and we all went to a black owned restaurant in downtown and I felt more comfortable there than any of the places in my area. They were all masked, didn't care that some of us were white and treated everyone with respect.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I saw that article about the man, his son and the realtor all quite innocently and certainly appropriately going to look at the house that was for sale.....what happened to them was absolutely disgusting! I'll bet that after this the homeowners of that house have an even more difficult time selling the place (I saw that it had already been on the market a while).....with potential neighbors like that, who the heck would want to live in that neighborhood, anyway?!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
This happened in a nearby community a black entrepreneur was leading a real estate tour for people (many of which were also black) in his class to show them what they can have if they are successful, nobody was unruly, they were just walking up the street. Needless to say everyone in Whitebreadistan freaked. Just a couple of examples:

29497344-8411007-image-m-45_1591892561450.jpg

29494308-8411007-image-a-41_1591892198451.jpg

29494292-8411007-_You_re_telling_me_you_were_prepared_and_ready_to_shoot_people_a-a-5_1591893456915.jpg

The man leading the walking tour said he was raised in a loving home, got an education and never faced issues of gangs or racism, this event totally changed his outlook on things, unfortunately.

Good grief!!!! And this was in California, which a lot of people assume is in general a state filled with residents more accepting of everyone??!! Wow....

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It's frankly disgusting, people think of CA as progressive but in the rural areas it's full of racism and hatred. I recently went to a work retreat in Oakland and we all went to a black owned restaurant in downtown and I felt more comfortable there than any of the places in my area. They were all masked, didn't care that some of us were white and treated everyone with respect.
"Disgusting" is the word I think of for both stories as well.

As far as California being progressive...well, as you say, there are areas full of hate.

This is actually the second time this week I'm hearing about "liberal" states being hotbeds of right wing extremism.

When you think of Vermont, what do you think of? Maple syrup, maybe...and Bernie Sanders. Bernie has been elected over and over, because he's a progressive.

That doesn't mean all of the state is.

It’s everywhere. It’s even in Vermont, where I live, which some people mistakenly consider a progressive haven. It’s bullied countless people of color in Vermont – who had to flee their communities because it became increasingly hostile and unsafe for them – and now it’s pushing me out, too. I’m selling my farm this summer, in fact, because the assault-weaponed bullies are winning on my road, and I refuse to stoop to their level and weaponize myself to fight back.
In states like Vermont, it’s easy to be an armed white extremist. It’s why NBC’s "Saturday Night Live" did a sketch with actor Adam Driver suggesting that Vermont was a neo-Confederate paradise. It is. There’s little to keep you accountable or keep you in check here. The Brady Campaign once called Vermont’s gun laws the worst in the nation. The Giffords Center gives its gun laws a C minus. As one local official told me, this is the Wild West of the Northeast. And as I pack up my farm and move out, this is becoming all too clear to me.
Armed militias do well here. Not only does Vermont’s Department of Public Safety fail to crack down on armed white extremists, due in part to lax local laws, the State Police discriminate against the people of color running from those very extremists. I’m not making this up. There are countless stories like this. In fact, if you’re a person of color here in Vermont, the bias and discrimination shown by Vermont State Police are pervasive and persistent. This state is not a safe place if you are non-white, unarmed or both.
And that’s why I’m moving. After attempts to institute a simple noise ordinance to contain the hours-long recreational and erratic assault weapons use on my road in Brandon, not only did my town’s leaders refuse to recognize the problem, they also emboldened the armed white extremists on my road by gaslighting my concerns.
This, then, inspired retaliatory gunfire at all hours of the day, imperiling my legal property rights to quiet enjoyment, and my farm – a 76-acre animal sanctuary that is home to some two dozen horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, ducks and dogs, all of them rescued from abuse, neglect or slaughter. And it just keeps escalating. Since I received death threats over the July 4th weekend, it’s been shocking to see how limited local police are in disarming these active threats.

What America's becoming, folks.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I really expected there to be a "Karen" behind it, but it seems the police at least had a valid reason to go there:

However, after taking one look at the men, it should have stopped right there. Certainly don't look like squatters.

Even before that, why were they approaching with guns drawn? They show up in numbers for their safety, but why would you draw a firearm without any indicator that these people may be armed? At worst, they would have been showing up for trespassing. Really though, if the department said that's department policy, they need a new department.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The first story is messed up beyond words. I am not sure why a large chunk of the US population and police officers believe that they are living in an active combat zone in a war torn country, but it's a real problem.

I think the second story being discussed is a bit more "interesting", and it may be a result of deep paranoia in the US and related to the above, but I do have a different take on it. I would not be spreading rumours about rumours of "something" happening on twitter, but I would be concerned if a group of 20 people were walking down my road, purely because it is unusual, regardless of their race.

If I were a 6'3" 230 pound man, then I would go outside and have a chat to find out what is happening. If I were an elderly person, like many of my neighbours are, I would probably call the police. What is concerning too is that some folks' immediate reactions seem to be to spread bs on social media and to bring in people with guns. That's all sorts of fucked up.
Just seeing this. One of the social media accounts that spread this BS rumor is a Black conservative running for office. This is why so many Black voters don't trust nor vote for Black conservatives. They Black GQP) almost go out of their way to prove that they're just as hateful towards Black people in order to garner white voters and support. See Larry Elder et al.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Honestly, I thought the US was on the brink of a race war before Covid came along and seemed to provide a distraction to just how messed up things are down there. (Canada isn't immune either - we have LOTS to make up for as well!!!) It's time all levels of government made this their primary focus to deal with (we can multi-task and continue to vaccinate in parallel).

Here's a thought - affirmative action programs for new developments - force house sales to follow the demographics for the county / state? X% have to be black, Y% have to be hispanic, Z% have to be asian, etc, etc. Most of these ridiculous attitudes are due to ignorance. If we have everyone living in all neighbourhoods, this sort of ignorance will be virtually impossible to maintain.

You can't fix generations of people being disenfranchised without discussing reparations. To get black communities to the same level financially as white, there need to be billions (trillions?) in transfer payments. Give people equity, so they can own their own homes and send all of their kids to university (oh, and you need to build a lot more universities - you need capacity that ALL kids can go to school). "Level the playing field" - so that everyone has the same opportunities - it will go a long way to healing your society (well, and we need education programs to fix the stupid - those that would publish such racist tweets) - hell, while we're at it, shouldn't there be an easy way to report that those tweets are racist to Twitter, so their censorship team can learn what to look for?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Here's a thought - affirmative action programs for new developments - force house sales to follow the demographics for the county / state? X% have to be black, Y% have to be hispanic, Z% have to be asian, etc, etc. Most of these ridiculous attitudes are due to ignorance. If we have everyone living in all neighbourhoods, this sort of ignorance will be virtually impossible to maintain.
That's fine as you can mandate it from the sales end. But can you mandate it from the purchase end? What if X% of Blacks don't want to actually live there? Or Y% Hispanics or Z% Asians?

You can't fix generations of people being disenfranchised without discussing reparations. To get black communities to the same level financially as white, there need to be billions (trillions?) in transfer payments. Give people equity, so they can own their own homes and send all of their kids to university (oh, and you need to build a lot more universities - you need capacity that ALL kids can go to school). "Level the playing field" - so that everyone has the same opportunities - it will go a long way to healing your society (well, and we need education programs to fix the stupid - those that would publish such racist tweets) - hell, while we're at it, shouldn't there be an easy way to report that those tweets are racist to Twitter, so their censorship team can learn what to look for?

Two points here. Even if you gave Black families billions, or trillions, most of them aren't financially savvy enough (and this is because they are poor, not Black) and the majority of the money will be gone in a few years. Either wasted or go into the hands of criminals who will use it to increase their power.

As for building more universities, we have too many already providing degrees in things that don't provide job skills. We need more trade schools or similar to teach people actual job skills, not who was the religious leader of the Sikh Empire in 1823. What if everyone had a college degree. We would still need people to do manual labor to build our roads and bridges, our homes, to keep the power on and water flowing.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Was the neighbor who called police white? 👀

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Two points here. Even if you gave Black families billions, or trillions, most of them aren't financially savvy enough (and this is because they are poor, not Black) and the majority of the money will be gone in a few years. Either wasted or go into the hands of criminals who will use it to increase their power.
MLK Jr. (for one) disagreed with this nonsense. Couching it in “I mean poor people, not specifically black people” is supposed to make it better?

How does this mesh with the GOP belief that poor people can become rich by lifting themselves up by their bootstraps to become self-made millionaires? I mean, which is it? a) Poor people don’t know what to do with money and will instantly waste it? Or b) they can become self-made millionaires? Both cannot be true. This is a catch-22. Poor people are too stupid to be given money because they will waste it... but poor people shouldn’t complain because if they just “tried harder” they would be able to get rich.

People who cannot even see their own white privilege (walking out of a store without showing the receipt would NEVER fly for a black person - they WOULD chase you into the parking lot) are telling black people that they cannot handle their own finances and will waste it all?

What a load of racist 🐴💩.

MLK interview on the topic:

Haley: Do you feel it’s fair to request a multibillion-dollar program of preferential treatment for the Negro, or for any other minority group?

King: I do indeed. Can any fair-minded citizen deny that the Negro has been deprived? Few people reflect that for two centuries the Negro was enslaved, and robbed of any wages—potential accrued wealth which would have been the legacy of his descendants. All of America’s wealth today could not adequately compensate its Negroes for his centuries of exploitation and humiliation. It is an economic fact that a program such as I propose would certainly cost far less than any computation of two centuries of unpaid wages plus accumulated interest. In any case, I do not intend that this program of economic aid should apply only to the Negro; it should benefit the disadvantaged of all races.
Within common law, we have ample precedents for special compensatory programs, which are regarded as settlements. American Indians are still being paid for land in a settlement manner. Is not two centuries of labor, which helped to build this country, as real a commodity? Many other easily applicable precedents are readily at hand: our child labor laws, social security, unemployment compensation, man-power retraining programs. And you will remember that America adopted a policy of special treatment for her millions of veterans after the War—a program which cost far more than a policy of preferential treatment to rehabilitate the traditionally disadvantaged Negro would cost today.
The closest analogy is the GI Bill of Rights. Negro rehabilitation in America would require approximately the same breadth of program—which would not place an undue burden on our economy. Just as was the case with the returning soldier, such a bill for the disadvantaged and impoverished could enable them to buy homes without cash, at lower and easier repayment terms. They could negotiate loans from banks to launch businesses. They could receive, as did ex-GIs, special points to place them ahead in competition for civil service jobs. Under certain circumstances of physical disability, medical care and long-term financial grants could be made available. And together with these rights, a favorable social climate could be created to encourage the preferential employment of the disadvantaged, as was the case for so many years with veterans. During those years, it might be noted, there was no appreciable resentment of the preferential treatment being given to the special group. America was only compensating her veterans for their time lost from school or from business.

Haley: If a nationwide program of preferential employment for Negroes were to be adopted, how would you propose to assuage the resentment of whites who already feel that their jobs are being jeopardized by the influx of Negroes resulting from desegregation?

King: We must develop a Federal program of public works, retraining and jobs for all—so that none, white or black, will have cause to feel threatened. At the present time, thousands of jobs a week are disappearing in the wake of automation and other production efficiency techniques. Black and white, we will all be harmed unless something grand and imaginative is done. The unemployed, poverty-stricken white man must be made to realize that he is in the very same boat with the Negro. Together, they could exert massive pressure on the Government to get jobs for all. Together, they could form a grand alliance. Together, they could merge all people for the good of all.

Haley: If Negroes are also granted preferential treatment in housing, as you propose, how would you allay the alarm with which many white homeowners, fearing property devaluation, greet the arrival of Negroes in hitherto all white neighborhoods?

King: We must expunge from our society the myths and half-truths that engender such groundless fears as these. In the first place, there is no truth to the myth that Negroes depreciate property. The fact is that most Negroes are kept out of residential neighborhoods so long that when one of us is finally sold a home, it’s already depreciated. In the second place, we must dispel the negative and harmful atmosphere that has been created by avaricious and unprincipled realtors who engage in “blockbusting.” If we had in America really serious efforts to break down discrimination in housing, and at the same time a concerted program of Government aid to improve housing for Negroes, I think that many white people would be surprised at how many Negroes would choose to live among themselves, exactly as Poles and Jews and other ethnic groups do.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good grief!!!! And this was in California, which a lot of people assume is in general a state filled with residents more accepting of everyone??!! Wow....
There are racists everywhere and these are the same people who claim when it comes to programs to help victims of racism, and promote equal opportunity, that racism is the past. These are some sick people.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's fine as you can mandate it from the sales end. But can you mandate it from the purchase end? What if X% of Blacks don't want to actually live there? Or Y% Hispanics or Z% Asians?

As for building more universities, we have too many already providing degrees in things that don't provide job skills. We need more trade schools or similar to teach people actual job skills, not who was the religious leader of the Sikh Empire in 1823. What if everyone had a college degree. We would still need people to do manual labor to build our roads and bridges, our homes, to keep the power on and water flowing.

The first part of the bolded post applies just about to anyone who is not financially savvy. I have said that I think financial reparations have limited value. It’s better to fix the system, change attitudes of whites which appears to be a difficult task, and expand opportunity. Can you clarify the second part about money going to black families will end up in the hands of criminals?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The first part of the bolded post applies just about to anyone who is not financially savvy. I have said that I think financial reparations have limited value. It’s better to fix the system, change attitudes of whites which appears to be a difficult task, and expand opportunity. Can you clarify the second part about money going to black families will end up in the hands of criminals?
Let me clarify: it’s plain old racism. Don’t overthink it.

Top Bottom
1 2