Latest Gurman “rumors”

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think there is anything here that others haven’t already reported on, other than, maybe, that the S8 chip for Apple Watch will have the “same specifications” (whatever that means) as S7 and S6. (I assume it’s a new chip with the same microarchitecture for the cores).

This bit is typical Gurman:

I do think, however, that it’s a preview of what’s to come from the iPad Pro. I expect Apple to release new 11-inch and 12.9-inch models with M2 chips later this year that work with Stage Manager. They’re code-named J617 and J620. That will let Apple say it has five different iPads that support the interface, versus three today (the current M1 iPad Pros and iPad Air).

Yes, Mark. Apple can say it because it will be true.

Anyway, the link, if you want to read through a bunch of stuff that’s already been reported.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
*Maybe* an iPhone 14 for me (depending on the camera features/tech). And maybe on the new HomePod, assuming it's like or better than the original HomePod.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
*Maybe* an iPhone 14 for me (depending on the camera features/tech). And maybe on the new HomePod, assuming it's like or better than the original HomePod.
I have a HomePod and two of the baby HomePods. To be honest, we seldom use them. The big one gets a little use, but the others never do. My kid listens to music constantly, but she wears airpods around the house. And whenever I say “hey siri,” it seems like the HomePods answer even if my phone is right in front of me. If they stuck a display on it, maybe we’d get some more use from it.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have a HomePod and two of the baby HomePods. To be honest, we seldom use them. The big one gets a little use, but the others never do. My kid listens to music constantly, but she wears airpods around the house. And whenever I say “hey siri,” it seems like the HomePods answer even if my phone is right in front of me. If they stuck a display on it, maybe we’d get some more use from it.

I kind of went all in over the years.

I bought my first HomePod on release day when the original first came out. Unbeknownst to me, when I picked it up at the Stanford Mall Apple Store, the HomePod development team was there promoting it as an event.

Having some technical questions about the tech, I asked if one of the design engineers happened to be there because I had some questions about how the beamforming was employed, and the trades made in the audio domain. Turns out the head systems/design engineer/manager was there and we talked for 20 minutes or so about beamforming and equalization, his perspective was audio, and mine was RF and communications. I was surprised how open he was about the tech (though I'm sure no secrets were revealed). That was pretty neat.

Since then I bought three more originals for two stereo pairs, and two mini's (two mono speakers) after the originals were discontinued.

If the new HomePod is interesting I'll buy another. And if I'm still happy with it after a month, I'll probably get another one to make a stereo pair.

We use them all the time. Almost always with Apple Music - I like the all-you-can-eat music aspect of any artist/group or music genre).

Last edited:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes please a new big HomePod. I got one when it was on sale for $199. Kind of wish I got two of them. I also have two HomePod Minis but the sound just doesn't compare. Apple are going to get a lot of money from me. This year seems to be upgrade all the things year.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just read that now digitimes says the M2 variants will be 3nm. Still seems odd to me. But if they go that way, who knows what other precedents they’ll change.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just read that now digitimes says the M2 variants will be 3nm. Still seems odd to me. But if they go that way, who knows what other precedents they’ll change.
I don't have access to the Digitimes article, but here's the quote of it from MR:

"'Apple reportedly has booked TSMC capacity for its upcoming 3nm M3 and M2 Pro processors', said DigiTimes, in a report focused on competition between chipmakers like TSMC and Samsung to secure 3nm chip orders. As expected, the report said TSMC will begin volume production of 3nm chips in the second half of 2022."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they stay with the current naming system (where the number indicates the 𝜇arch), then it sounds like we will first see a process update to a 3 nm node using the current A15-based M2 𝜇arch, and then subsequently see a 𝜇arch update to an A16-based M3, using the same 3 nm node (unless the more advanced N3E process becomes available then?). I.e., it sounds like they don't want to wait until the M3 𝜇arch is ready to update the Pro/Max.

I wonder if this means the first MacPro will have a 3 nm M2.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't have access to the Digitimes article, but here's the quote of it from MR:

"'Apple reportedly has booked TSMC capacity for its upcoming 3nm M3 and M2 Pro processors', said DigiTimes, in a report focused on competition between chipmakers like TSMC and Samsung to secure 3nm chip orders. As expected, the report said TSMC will begin volume production of 3nm chips in the second half of 2022."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they stay with the current naming system (where the number indicates the 𝜇arch), then it sounds like we will first see a process update to a 3 nm node using the current A15-based M2 𝜇arch, and then subsequently see a 𝜇arch update to an A16-based M3, using the same 3 nm node (unless the more advanced N3E process becomes available then?). I.e., it sounds like they don't want to wait until the M3 𝜇arch is ready to update the Pro/Max.

I wonder if this means the first MacPro will have a 3 nm M2.

If the article is accurate (and digitimes is a crap shoot, though it has been rumored by others), then this sounds about right.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
More rumors from Gurman:

The article is titled "The iPhone is Taking a Back Seat to the Mac in Chip Upgrades".

That's not entirely the case, if the current rumors are to be believed—this fall's iPhone Pro's are supposed to be getting an N5P-based A16, as compared to the next batch of Macs, which are rumored to be getting N3-based M2's (= A15)....which (IIUC) would mean the top iPhones will have the more advanced 𝜇arch, while the next Macs will be on the more advanced process.

So is this going to be Apple's strategy going forward—release the new 𝜇arch first on the iPhone (so they can understand it better before scaling up to more complex chips*), and use the new processes first on the Macs (so they can use it first on lower-volume products while waiting for production to scale up to the volumes needed for the iPhone)?

*I think you mentioned something to that effect on another thread.

Having said that, it does seem the Mac is getting a lot more focus from Apple than it has in recent memory, which is nice to see. Much of that is of course due to the transition to AS on the Mac, but not all; the refocus seemed to start with Apple's acknowledgement they'd gone the wrong direction with the 2013 Mac Pro, and their subsequent creation of a Pro Workflow Team, whose input they used for the 2019 Mac Pro and 16" MBP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2