Light and Dark Themes

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The default theme is light but if you look at the bottom of the page and click on Default Style you can change it to Discord Theme if you prefer things darker.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m in the minority when it comes to light/dark. Of course, it could just be that I’m old. I like light.
You and me both, both on the computer and my phone. I don't mind the discord look but it's not something I can look at too long.

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I’m in the minority when it comes to light/dark. Of course, it could just be that I’m old. I like light.

I'm the same.

On Discord, I could hardly read posts, let alone reply to them (nose pressed to screen - eyes - and I have worn glasses since I was a small child, crunched up, squinting, painfully - and that awful font made matters even worse).

Light background, please, and, a nice, legible font.

Mind you, my keyboard problem, on my own MBA - an old (battered, but Apple, portable keyboard was dropped over by a friend this week, alleviating matters a little) haven't helped.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Every time I see “Discord” I read “d’accord” and wonder what we’re agreeing on. LOL!

I never understood why everyone was so delighted about Apple adding dark mode. I can’t stand it.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm the same.

On Discord, I could hardly read posts, let alone reply to them (nose pressed to screen - eyes - and I have worn glasses since I was a small child, crunched up, squinting, painfully - and that awful font made matters even worse).

Light background, please, and, a nice, legible font.

Mind you, my keyboard problem, on my own MBA - an old (battered, but Apple, portable keyboard was dropped over by a friend this week, alleviating matters a little) haven't helped.
I found there is a light mode in Discord. You get to it (at least on iPhone) by clicking the hamburger menu at the top left, and then your avatar in the opposite (bottom right) corner.

I'm with the rest of you. I'm getting older, and light mode serves me better.

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Light for me all the way!!! My 75-year-old eyes just aren't up to dealing with dark mode anywhere. It is nice to offer options, though, for those who do prefer something other than standard light background.

Agreed.

Dark mode is over-rated, - at least, from the jaundiced persecutive of my ageing (and never perfect, I've worn glasses ever since I was a small kid) eyes and is something that I suspect that young guys think may be really cool.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Agreed.

Dark mode is over-rated, - at least, from the jaundiced persecutive of my ageing (and never perfect) eyes and is something that I suspect that young guys think may be really cool.
Same here, I'm sure it has to do with my age as well but I need the contrast of a light background. We do have the Discord theme for those who prefer it but I'll never use it.

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Same here, I'm sure it has to do with my age as well but I need the contrast of a light background. We do have the Discord theme for those who prefer it but I'll never use it.

Actually, when I had been invited to join some of you guys on Discord, I have to say (though I was pleased and flattered to have been asked to join you all) that it found it horrible to use, and very difficult to read, and a real pain when attempting to compose a post.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Actually, when I had been invited to join some of you guys on Discord, I have to say (though I was pleased and flattered to have been asked to join you all) that it found it horrible to use, and very difficult to read, and a real pain when attempting to compose a post.
Yeah, it's more of a realtime chat app than anything, which is fine but most of us prefer a threaded conversation at your own pace. @Alli was a proponent of getting this site going early on as an alternative to MR and was instrumental in getting us off the ground but the Discord channel is also a great alternative for chatting.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any way to make it automatically change when dark mode kicks in on MacOS/iOS like it does on MR?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Any way to make it automatically change when dark mode kicks in on MacOS/iOS like it does on MR?
Yes but they charge a hefty price for this modification. I love this board but they charge for nearly every modification and I don't mind paying for ones I think will make a difference but others are really small and way overpriced, this being one of them.

But you can always use the quick switch at the bottom and change it to Discord (dark) easily.

Greenshot 2021-01-26 10.09.35.png

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes but they charge a hefty price for this modification. I love this board but they charge for nearly every modification and I don't mind paying for ones I think will make a difference but others are really small and way overpriced, this being one of them.

But you can always use the quick switch at the bottom and change it to Discord (dark) easily.

View attachment 3091
Ah ok. I wasn’t aware they were charging for pretty much everything.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ah ok. I wasn’t aware they were charging for pretty much everything.
Arn actually commissioned the developers for this specific mod, they built it for him and then released it to the public for $35. There are a few others for MR they do that with as well, hope he's making something off of it. But for something like this it's way overpriced IMO.

Top Bottom