The Other Site
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 07.29.49.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wonder what they consider a tracker? Cookies are common so I suspect that may be it for us, we have no advertising so it's not hurting us a bit, no hard feelings there. šŸ˜

Last edited:

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonder what they consider a tracker? Cookies are common so I suspect that may be it for us, we have no advertising so it's not hurting us a bit, no hard feelings there. šŸ˜

here are the 4 sites that the updated Safari lists for PoliticalGroove
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 09.55.26.png

i don't use, or have ever opened Facebook (since 2015 when i deleted my profile).
i think the Facebook trackers could be caused by other sites visited that do allow Facebook trackers, and once visited, are able to snoop on PoliticalGroove users somehow.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
here are the 4 sites that the updated Safari lists for PoliticalGroove
View attachment 479

i don't use, or have ever opened Facebook (since 2015 when i deleted my profile).
i think the Facebook trackers could be caused by other sites visited that do allow Facebook trackers, and once visited, are able to snoop on PoliticalGroove users somehow.
So you didn't get one for FB on MacRumors? I do have a Facebook connector on this site but to the best of my understanding it would only track a cookie if you logged in with it. However, I would NOT be surprised if they tried to track anyway and if I find out that's the case I'll nuke that feature.

The google stuff is just the standard analytics, tons of sites use that so it will be interesting to see how many bring this up. I like that it gives you the option to yank it from your side though, it should always be the user's right IMO.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
So you didn't get one for FB on MacRumors? I do have a Facebook connector on this site but to the best of my understanding it would only track a cookie if you logged in with it. However, I would NOT be surprised if they tried to track anyway and if I find out that's the case I'll nuke that feature.

The google stuff is just the standard analytics, tons of sites use that so it will be interesting to see how many bring this up. I like that it gives you the option to yank it from your side though, it should always be the user's right IMO.

you are a Wonderful Site Owner Admin God.
i respect yr thinking.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
you are a Wonderful Site Owner Admin God.
i respect yr thinking.
Okay, I have deactivate the FB connector (sorry but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them) can you please take another look and see if it still shows for you? Thanks for helping us test.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, I have deactivate the FB connector (sorry but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them) can you please take another look and see if it still shows for you? Thanks for helping us test.

thanks for trying to tinker with it.

i have done the following:
1 closed Safari
2 reopened it and deleted all history and cache. and went into Safari Preferences and deleted all cookies.
3 closed Safari
4 reopened Safari. went first to PG. no facebook .com or .net
5 then i visited MSNBC which i had seen earlier does allow facebook trackers.
6 then again visited PG. this time facebook .com and .net trackers do appear on the PG site as reported by Safari

so, i think that, as i mentioned earlier, the facebook trackers could be caused by other sites visited that do allow Facebook trackers, and once visited, are able to snoop on PoliticalGroove users somehow, and are able to override yr Owner/Admin level controls for the PG site.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
thanks for trying to tinker with it.

i have done the following:
1 closed Safari
2 reopened it and deleted all history and cache. and went into Safari Preferences and deleted all cookies.
3 closed Safari
4 reopened Safari. went first to PG. no facebook .com or .net
5 then i visited MSNBC which i had seen earlier does allow facebook trackers.
6 then again visited PG. this time facebook .com and .net trackers do appear on the PG site as reported by Safari

so, i think that, as i mentioned earlier, the facebook trackers could be caused by other sites visited that do allow Facebook trackers, and once visited, are able to snoop on PoliticalGroove users somehow, and are able to override yr Owner/Admin level controls for the PG site.
Okay, if we look at the home page here I do hvae our FB page listed on the side bar that shows the latest posts, I can see that looking to see whether or not you are logged in. Can you try going into one of the other pages (just not the home page with the sidebar, even this thread for example) and see if you spot it there?

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, if we look at the home page here I do hvae our FB page listed on the side bar that shows the latest posts, I can see that looking to see whether or not you are logged in. Can you try going into one of the other pages (just not the home page with the sidebar, even this thread for example) and see if you spot it there?

hi
thanks.
its interesting. something like you wrote would happen.
this:
when i am on these pages (Home, WhatsNew, Members, RealTime) the Safari Privacy Report only shows the 2 google trackers.
when i am on the Forums page it shows the 2 google trackers and the 2 Facebook trackers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
hi
thanks.
its interesting. something like you wrote would happen.
this:
when i am on these pages (Home, WhatsNew, Members, RealTime) the Safari Privacy Report only shows the 2 google trackers.
when i am on the Forums page it shows the 2 google trackers and the 2 Facebook trackers.
Okay, so that confirms it's the FB page on the side bar from the home page only. That should be safe as it's just looking to see if you're logged into FB. Thanks for helping me to test and confirm.

Top Bottom
1 2