Mac dual monitor follies

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I went to my office to set up a second monitor on a Mac Studio Max today, expecting to be in and out in maybe 30 minutes. It ended taking me around three times as long. On the first boot, the new right monitor was recognized as the primary display, so I opened the Displays panel in Settings to make the left monitor primary and the right one extended. Looked great, but it kept reverting after rebooting. I even tried swapping the video cables without success. BTW, I've done this several times with other Macs.

What eventually worked was physically moving the monitors to put the new one to the left of the old one, which shouldn't be necessary. What complicated matters was that I use multiple virtual desktops on each screen and assign apps to open on a specific desktop at login. Those arrangements kept getting messed up, so I redid them once the monitors were working properly.

I've read accounts of similar experiences shortly after Monterey was released, but we're way beyond that now. For macOS 13, I wish Apple would just concentrate on squashing bugs instead of adding features most people don't want or need, like they once did with Snow Leopard.

Top Bottom
1 2