Mac mini vs. Mac Studio

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
My iMac needs replacing, as it's old, and it's time. I'm not sure what the differences are between the mini, studio. I don't have a laptop nor do I need one, so the Mac Book Pro is not something I'm considering.

Would I be better off with the studio? My thinking is that the studio will last longer being more powerful. My iMac is 10 years old, so getting a decade out of my next purchase would be ideal.

Any red flags or items to be concerned about with the Studio?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No red flags with the studio, but it’s difficult to suggest a course of action without knowing what you will do with the machine. Given the price difference, you may be better off going with the cheapest possible mini and upgrading every couple of years, depending on how much power you actually need. That way you would have software support the entire time, and get the benefit of new technologies that come along (new ports, new wireless protocols, more memory, etc.)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I went with the Studio because of all the photography and raw file editing needed a beefier machine than my 7 year old Intel iMac, but if it weren't for that I could've lived with it for a couple more years I'm sure. I personally buy for the long haul though, after 10 years it's safe to say everything is pretty much obsolete in computer years but like Cmaier says, it really depends on usage, if one is using basic apps and web browsing then there's no need to go for something so powerful.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
One thing I'd mention is if you decide to go with a Mini, and you've got some time to wait, keep an eye out on the Apple refurb store. Basically "new" machines, full warranty, can add AC+, at a 14-15% discount. The trick is catching the config you want in stock (like right now I checked, and there's zero Minis in the refurb store).

I kind of have a hard time recommending an 8GB machine, that's the entry level M1 Mini RAM, I know the M1 is capable, the storage is fast, but it can't be upgraded later, for the $200 add, I'd go with 16GB. Then it's storage, there's a 256GB and 512GB options (or more), but again, for the $200, I'd go with the 512GB to give you some breathing room. That's a $1099 machine, or a ~$945 as a refurb, that's ~50% cheaper than a Studio but the latter has 32GB RAM and is an M1 Pro. I think the cost difference is justified in terms of performance/ports/RAM, it's more of a case of does that extra $1000 buy you anything in terms of your usage. For many people, the answer is probably no.

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
, but it’s difficult to suggest a course of action without knowing what you will do with the machine.
Oh of course.

Some 3d work, cad stuff. I'm getting more into 3d printing, so I need some capability there. Adobe Creative cloud, etc. Of course the normal minor stuff like email, online krapola and what not.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm not familiar with apple refurbs, I may be a bit too nervous about spending a lot of money for someone else's problem

I've used them for years (for mission critical work), and they're never a concern, they come out of the box like new. In fact, some folks even suggest they're better, because they go through a second round of QA :)

This Mini I'm currently using (I7/32GB/512GB), refurb, added AC+, no issues, will be 3 years old the end of this year. I had another Mini (one of the "white whale" quad-core 2012 models), refurb, worked for years until I sold, it have talked with the owner since, still working it's 8+ years old :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with apple refurbs, I may be a bit too nervous about spending a lot of money for someone else's problem

My 2011 iMac, which was bought new, went through 2 video cards. So when the 2nd one failed I decided to get a new machine. That was a Late 2015 refurbished iMac that I bought in the summer of 2016. It has been perfect.

Don't hesitate to get a refurb from Apple. Slap AC on it and go on.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Absolutely the Studio then.
Agree, with one caveat: Apple may yet announce a higher-end Mac mini that may be sufficient for much of what you do. I'd at least wait until WWDC in June to see what transpires.

I'll also add that while it's certainly possible to get 10 years of useful life out of a Mac, the latest OS won't be supported at some point, and Apple only provides security updates for 1 or 2 prior versions. This isn't just an academic consideration — Apple still hasn't released an update to patch Big Sur against some actively-exploited vulnerabilities. Your current iMac, and several newer iterations, are at risk.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Since I switched to the Mac in late 2005, I've had four Mac minis, and am currently using a 2018 Intel base model that I've since upgraded with an eGPU, 64GB system memory, and an external SSD. I got the base model because the rumors of the transition to ARM were strong, but I decided to prolong its life span by holding it together with "sticks and bubble gum". It has issues, but nothing I can't work around.

I'm a causious person, so I typically wait a couple of revisions before purchasing new tech. Since I'm doing fine with my current mini, I'm going to be waiting for TSMC's 3nm process and I assume what will be an M3. That being said, you're far more in need of a new machine than I am. It depends upon your use case and how demanding the programs you use are.

Since you've waited a decade already, I'd recommend waiting until Apple replaces the high-end Intel Mac mini that still sits in their lineup. Some rumors point to that being replaced with an M2 Pro, which would sit right between the segment occupied by the Studio and the base mini, with a price to match. Assuming that device ever becomes reality, that's perhaps what I would be looking at.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ll also add in my voice for the refurb. Apple and Nintendo in particular are companies I’d absolutely have zero issues buying refurbs from. Apple because they back it with a full warranty and I’ve had no issues with refurbs from them, Nintendo because I happen to know folks who’ve worked in their US repairs dept that handles repairs and refurbs.

My first refurb was a Power Mac 8600 which lasted 7+ years before it was retired, despite never being supported by OS X, thanks to Linux. I’ve bought other refurbs over the years, and I tend to have worse luck with new when it comes to issues (fan issues being the common one I keep hitting with MBPs right out of the box).

If the company does their work properly, a refurb has been given a once over replacing any iffy parts and run through QC diagnostics similar to when they come off the line, but no random sampling will be applied to refurbs as may be the case with new. Now, if we are talking about 3rd party refurbished (say, GameStop refurbished console hardware), then things change quite a bit there…

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
I kind of have a hard time recommending an 8GB machine, that's the entry level M1 Mini RAM, I know the M1 is capable, the storage is fast, but it can't be upgraded later, for the $200 add, I'd go with 16GB. Then it's storage, there's a 256GB and 512GB options (or more), but again, for the $200, I'd go with the 512GB to give you some breathing room. That's a $1099 machine, or a ~$945 as a refurb, that's ~50% cheaper than a Studio but the latter has 32GB RAM and is an M1 Pro. I think the cost difference is justified in terms of performance/ports/RAM, it's more of a case of does that extra $1000 buy you anything in terms of your usage. For many people, the answer is probably no.

The "low end" Mac Studio has a M1 Max SoC, not a M1 Pro SoC...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The "low end" Mac Studio has a M1 Max SoC, not a M1 Pro SoC...

Oops, yeah, you are correct, I keep forgetting the Studio is either a Max or Ultra, that it doesn't start with a Pro (i.e., there's not 3 starting configs).

That's an important point too because it leaves room for a potentially updated Mini with an M1 Pro. It would have a better CPU/GPU that the current M1 machine, while slotting in under the "base" Studio, a really stout general purpose machine that's a good choice for developers, easily handles moderate graphic chores, 16GB/512GB OOTB (with applicable upgrade options).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any ideas about the roadmap for M2? By that, I mean, if a new, higher performance Mini is shown at WWDC, is it more likely to be M1 Pro or M2[?]
I think it would have to be M2 based. Those cores have been ready for a very long time. And I think for product differentiation they will keep the minis at the lower core counts and the studios at higher.

I also think the Mac Pro has to be M2 based for technical reasons, and they will introduce other M2 based machines before or simultaneously with that.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would definitely go with the Mac Studio. But maybe wait until after WWDC to see if they announce that updated Mini. Otherwise definitely the Studio. Regarding Apple refurbs, I have never owned one personally but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Only Apple refurbished though, I wouldn't trust a refurbished from a third party.

Top Bottom
1 2