Mac Studio

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
It sounds like the fabled xMac that Apple customers have wanted for the past twenty years. It's going to look great right alongside the PowerBook G5.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
Dude posted about the Mac Studio just over 24 hours before 9to5 Mac dropped their article...

My thoughts on the matter...

Peek performance...

A sneak peek at the new Mac Studio headless desktop system...!

Mac Studio

Mac Studio will replace the high-end 2018 Intel Mac mini, bridging the gap between the (new smaller design) Mn-series Mac mini and the full tower Mac Pro...

Mac Studio will go from a base single M1 Pro SoC model all the way up to a dual M1 Max SoC model:
  • Base model - 8/14, 16/512, Gigabit Ethernet, $1499
  • Fully loaded model - 20/64, 128/8T, 10Gb Ethernet, $6999
Four TB4/USB4 (USB-C) ports & two USB 3.1 Gen2 (USB-A) ports on the single SoC models...

Six TB4/USB4 (USB-C) ports & four USB 3.1 Gen2 (USB-A) ports on the dual SoC models...

Gigabit Ethernet standard, upgrade to 10Gb Ethernet is US$100...

SoCCPUP/EGPURAMSSDEthernet
M1 Pro8-core6P/2E14-core16GB/32GB512GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/8TBGigabit/10Gb
M1 Pro10-core8P/2E14-core16GB/32GB512GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/8TBGigabit/10Gb
M1 Pro10-core8P/2E16-core16GB/32GB512GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/8TBGigabit/10Gb
M1 Max10-core8P/2E24-core32GB/64GB512GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/8TBGigabit/10Gb
M1 Max10-core8P/2E32-core32GB/64GB512GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/8TBGigabit/10Gb
Dual M1 Max20-core16P/4E48-core64GB/128GB512GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/8TBGigabit/10Gb
Dual M1 Max20-core16P/4E64-core64GB/128GB512GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/8TBGigabit/10Gb

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Just for the hell of it
551EFE0D-325A-41AA-AF78-4D9E884DD00F.png
Mbd is vertical; some ports in back, some USB ports and SD slot under front lip; can serve as a monitor stand, with a securing bar from the top edge of the monitor to the top edge of the Mac; may provide for the option of adding a PCIe card chassis in back.

This is obviously kind of goofy, but a similar concept might make some kind of elegant sense.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Just for the hell of it
Mbd is vertical; some ports in back, some USB ports and SD slot under front lip; can serve as a monitor stand, with a securing bar from the top edge of the monitor to the top edge of the Mac; may provide for the option of adding a PCIe card chassis in back.

This is obviously kind of goofy, but a similar concept might make some kind of elegant sense.

No thank you, Cube 2.0 please...! ;^p

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
I have a Cube, and it is way too massive for an M-series Mac.

Reports on the 2021 ASi MBP laptops say that, with CPU & GPU pegged as much as possible, even the 16" will thermal throttle; it can handle pegging one or the other of the systems, but not both at once...

If these Mac Studio machines are supposed to be for DCC working folk, both CPU & GPU will probably be getting regular workouts, so the more cooling capabilities the better...?

Dual M1 Max SoCs with a 2019 Mac Pro-style heat sink (wide-spaced fat fins) with a pair of 180mm x 30mm high static pressure fans above & below; vertical double-sided mobo (SSD blades on backside) up one side of chassis, Mac mini-style PSU up other side; enough thermal headroom if Apple decides to drop a quad SoC configuration in there at some point...?

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Reports on the 2021 ASi MBP laptops say that, with CPU & GPU pegged as much as possible, even the 16" will thermal throttle; it can handle pegging one or the other of the systems, but not both at once...

If these Mac Studio machines are supposed to be for DCC working folk, both CPU & GPU will probably be getting regular workouts, so the more cooling capabilities the better...?

Dual M1 Max SoCs with a 2019 Mac Pro-style heat sink (wide-spaced fat fins) with a pair of 180mm x 30mm high static pressure fans above & below; vertical double-sided mobo (SSD blades on backside) up one side of chassis, Mac mini-style PSU up other side; enough thermal headroom if Apple decides to drop a quad SoC configuration in there at some point...?
Then the Cube makes even less sense. If you are concerned about thermals, you want the least volumetric aspect ratio you can get, not, like the Cube, the least surface area relative to volume.

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
The other place has reported that there are three problems with existing apple silicon mbp solutions that need to be solved for professionals…

1. will the latest mac studio retake the crown from alder lake in stockshrimp chess benchmark?

2. will it be able to run cinebench unoptimized faster than optimized optix code path on a 800w+ custom overclocked x86 gaming pc?

3. will it support as many rgb customizations as an Asus ROG Strix setup?

If it cannot do any of those things, then it will fail spectacularly and potential purchasers will just buy an Xbox series x with game pass instead.

Love,
The other place apple silicon forum bashing brigade.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope it’s another Mac where you can’t upgrade the drive or RAM later and they charge you at least double the market rate for increasing those options on your initial purchase. I don’t care what they are telling investors on those earning calls. 90% of their profits is extreme gouging people on drives and RAM.

I have about 18 trillion rubles burning a hole in my pocket right now but the way things are looking I might have to save a bit longer or just blow the whole wad on one AirTag.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Leaked M1 Ultra Geekbench. 1793 Single Core, 24055 Multicore.

Take with a grain of salt, obviously, but seems reasonable.

D

Deleted member 215

It's dope af, but without a mini-LED ProMotion monitor to go along with it, can't justify the expense. I'm sure a monitor like that will be coming in the next few years. Right now I'm happy with my MBP (I better be, since it's the most expensive Mac I've ever bought). :oops:

Top Bottom
1 2