Main Camera
iPhone
:D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So I __finally__ got a mid-week Apple appointment (they've been non-existent, or only available on the weekends), and it was been dropped off, yay!

Unfortunately, they didn't hint at all about a full machine replacement (to a new spec machine), just seemed to be all in on repair. With the current situation, it was a dropoff, and I told them no rush, so who knows, when they a full evaluation on it, maybe it'll be a "no repair / replace" sort of thing :) Will be several days, probably won't hear back till late next week.

They actually called on Sunday and I picked it up today, repair was done so I guess no free upgrade :D

Looks brand new, they replace the top plate which includes the keyboard and trackpad and the one tiny ding was also on that part. Battery showing as 104% of original spec with zero cycles.

Did a fresh install of Big Sur, a few tools like Xcode, running great, I may use it - or trade it - or heck, now sell it, I had great offers before this repair.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Look what you made me do, you meanies! I ordered a Mac Mini.

Updated reviews indicated that 16GiB at least as of today will get me my final cutting fix and stuff. More memory would have made me feel more relaxed about the purchase, but I’ve decided trust those random youtubers I’ve never checked out before. And I am still not happy about the lack of ports, but I’ll make do.

I basically realized that the M1 can handle most of the things I need it to handle and that the things it can’t handle won’t work any better on later models.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As people may know, I got my 2015 MBP 15" battery replaced, for free, under the extended warranty offered by Apple. It appears to have been the battery, and all the components on the lower section: top plate, keyboard, trackpad. It's basically new, mint.

However, it's still one of the machines where the GPU gets things a little hot, and compared to the wife's M1 MBA, it's not nearly as quick, even with a discrete 370X GPU (granted it's 5 years old ...)

My current trade offer is $570, which I'll swear is $50 more than when I checked before the repair, like Apple may have flagged this machine as fixed, and changed the offer.

In any case, think I'm going to trade it, for another M1 MBA. The wife has the base machine, so an 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU (aka, 8+7), 8GB RAM, 256 storage, but I think I'm going to upgrade this machine to an 8+8, 16GB RAM, 512GB storage, which with the trade comes out to $879:

1615423447971.png

That will be a pretty stout machine based on my experience with the existing machine, and give me an M1 development machine for the road if that ever becomes a thing again. Originally, I was thinking I'd wait and trade for a second gen M1 machine of some sort, but it sounds like those machines won't be released till much later this year, and while the trade for the '15 machine is decent, and it hasn't melted down, I figured, this was good timing :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Also, the 15" machine was a response to my pretty casual comment to my (at the time) business partner, about traveling to the west coast for some work, "I really need a new machine too". This machine showed up, brand new at my door - and several months later, when I needed a dedicated, high power Windows notebook: an Aorus 17", I7, 32GB, 8GB GTX1080 GPU, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, hahaha, the thing sounded like a 747 when it got under a little stress :D

So I figure, I got massive "value" out of this machine over the last few years, since it was sort of a "freebie", so getting nearly $600 for a trade in 2021 is a pretty solid deal.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
As people may know, I got my 2015 MBP 15" battery replaced, for free, under the extended warranty offered by Apple. It appears to have been the battery, and all the components on the lower section: top plate, keyboard, trackpad. It's basically new, mint.

However, it's still one of the machines where the GPU gets things a little hot, and compared to the wife's M1 MBA, it's not nearly as quick, even with a discrete 370X GPU (granted it's 5 years old ...)

My current trade offer is $570, which I'll swear is $50 more than when I checked before the repair, like Apple may have flagged this machine as fixed, and changed the offer.

In any case, think I'm going to trade it, for another M1 MBA. The wife has the base machine, so an 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU (aka, 8+7), 8GB RAM, 256 storage, but I think I'm going to upgrade this machine to an 8+8, 16GB RAM, 512GB storage, which with the trade comes out to $879:

View attachment 3953

That will be a pretty stout machine based on my experience with the existing machine, and give me an M1 development machine for the road if that ever becomes a thing again. Originally, I was thinking I'd wait and trade for a second gen M1 machine of some sort, but it sounds like those machines won't be released till much later this year, and while the trade for the '15 machine is decent, and it hasn't melted down, I figured, this was good timing :)
Do the upgrade. You'll definitely like the extra RAM.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As I posted above, I scored a base model MBA M1 for the wife, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, and it's the model with the 8-core CPU and 7-core GPU ... and it's fast, efficient, just pretty spectacular.

Well, the little G's notebook has been in a downward spiral, it's a neat machine, Lenovo Yoga 15", i7, touchscreen, decent performance, it has a GTX 1050 so moderately perky GPU performance. However, the display got cracked (seriously DO_NOT_ASK 🤪), and the KB has gotten a little fussy - it's also a 256GB SSD and with her art/video projects, space is always an issue - plus, Winder™ ... kill me.

Well, she does her art related work on the iPadPro, with the Pencil, it's way better than the touchscreen experience on the Yoga, so it was time to move her to a Mac, and with the stunning battery life / performance on the M1 machines, I went with another one. Plus, I wanted a backup mobile machine I could use, so I made it a little more stout.

It's a MBP M1 (P vs. A), 16GB RAM, 512GB storage, and the Pros only have an 8-core GPU. It also has a decent amount better battery life vs. the Air, which is already spectacular. I waited for the exact model config (including it being silver, the G's choice ...) to show up as a refurb yesterday, they were in/out/in/out of stock over the week, I kind of gave up for a few days, nothing ... nothing, then boom, a big flood early afternoon, and I scored it on an Apple Card that was 6% discounted through the end of March (yep, the last day). So the 6% combined with the refurb pricing, resulted in a total of a $345 discount.

Arrives tomorrow. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's very cool, I can't believe the performance and battery life and the little G is loving the touchbar. Not one hiccup, crash, it just runs nonstop, and I STILL haven't heard the fans kick on ... :cool:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's very cool, I can't believe the performance and battery life and the little G is loving the touchbar. Not one hiccup, crash, it just runs nonstop, and I STILL haven't heard the fans kick on ... :cool:
Yeah that battery life is mind blowing. Even on the Air which has a smaller battery than the 13" MBP.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I'm loving my M1 MBP! Yeah, the fact that it remains so cool, no matter what I'm doing on it, still amazes me, as my 2018 MBP gets warm fairly quickly and when I'm doing anything extensive the fans kick in. Then again, I haven't really done anything THAT extensive on this machine yet, come to think of it..... I tend to use it when the other machine is busy with backups or transferring data between external drives, etc.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So for the Apple event this Tuesday, one of the rumors is a new iMac, with neato colors, trim bezels (suggestions are it will be like an iPad Pro on a stand ...).

Assuming these will be AS/ARM based, but I'm wondering if it will be the same proc in the MBP and Mini? A faster clock? Or even more magical, some kind of new variant, i.e., an M1X with more than 8 cores for the CPU and/or GPU ... ? Possibly with new RAM capacity! More ports!

My gut tell me a new display tech, with a nice new physical design, but effectively a Mini All-in-One (in terms of performance / capacity).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The graphic in their announcement looks similar to past iPad announcements, simulating a drawing one might make with the Apple Pencil. I guess iMacs are a possible part of this too, but I’m betting iPads are the star of the show.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
My gut tell me a new display tech, with a nice new physical design, but effectively a Mini All-in-One (in terms of performance / capacity).
My gut agrees with your gut.

Then again, my gut may be biased since I got myself a M1ni despite its limits and intend to keep using it for a long time...

Top Bottom
1 2