MacBook Pro with the M1 processor

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Just a small personal note about how small the M1 Macbooks are.

I have a Waterfield Designs Sutter Tech sling bag that I love. It's designed for the 13in Macbooks & 12.9 iPad Pros. With the new Magic Keyboard for the 12.9 iPad Pros though, the iPP doesn't fit into it's designated sleeve. The Macbook Air though WITH case, slides in easily.

50807883832_d3af6483bd_z.jpg

Nice little portable machine if we are able to travel about again.

Lifestyle-Close-Up-1_1800x1800.jpg

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/slings/products/tech-sling-bag

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I have a Waterfield Designs Sutter Tech sling bag that I love. It's designed for the 13in Macbooks & 12.9 iPad Pros. With the new Magic Keyboard for the 12.9 iPad Pros though, the iPP doesn't fit into it's designated sleeve. The Macbook Air though WITH case, slides in easily.

1609957540570.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Woohoo! Looks like appointments are starting to open up. I specifically avoided a few available weekend spots, but I'll start checking this early/late to get the old MBP in for the <whatever_happens> appointment.

We were gone a couple of days last week, and my paranoia got the best of me, so I stick it in the small recycle tub kind of in an isolated area in the garage, er, in case it exploded ... o_O

Woo! Appointments available ...

1611158418449.png

... but I'll wait. I'd rather toss this machine in the river than deal with the Town Center on the weekend. Especially with the nice weather, and it's open air, I imagine it will be a Charlie Foxtrot.

U

User.45

Any of you guys willing to do some benchmarking for me? It takes the download of a research software and I provide a bash script to be run... I'm really curious whether A) it's gonna run and B) how it would fare against a desktop...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Is that Jacksonville?

I still cringe from my two years growing up there.

Ugh, yes, the Southside. The Town Center is "nice" as far as malls go, high-er-ish end, outside, a couple of pretty good places to eat, but in general, bleah ... it's just the "local" Apple store location.

We're about 30-35 minutes south of there, along the east coast. It's a nice drive up A1A right along the coast, then you hit Ponte Vedra, traffic, then JTB, it just gets worse ...

Any of you guys willing to do some benchmarking for me? It takes the download of a research software and I provide a bash script to be run... I'm really curious whether A) it's gonna run and B) how it would fare against a desktop...

Sure! I even handle Fed PII and deal with HIPAA compliance, so I'm data safe :D

Last edited:
U

User.45

Ugh, yes, the Southside. The Town Center is "nice" as far as malls go, high-er-ish end, outside, a couple of pretty good places to eat, but in general, bleah ... it's just the "local" Apple store location.

We're about 30-35 minutes south of there, along the east coast. It's a nice drive up A1A right along the coast, then you hit Ponte Vedra, traffic, then JTB, it just gets worse ...

Sure! I even handle Fed PII and deal with HIPPA compliance, so I'm data safe :D
That makes for one happy HIPAA:)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I mean, technically it's the wife's machine, but she __might__ let me use it if I ask nicely :D

FWIW, she loves it, and has gone back to mostly "undocked" use since it's super light and lasts for [literally] days on battery.

[edit]

**oops** double P'ed on the name, corrected. Funny, when I started doing medical/clinical related work and had to deal with data protection, file compliance specifics in implementation, I started getting really sensitive to how badly it's handled in so many offices, online, etc.

U

User.45

I mean, technically it's the wife's machine, but she __might__ let me use it if I ask nicely :D

FWIW, she loves it, and has gone back to mostly "undocked" use since it's super light and lasts for [literally] days on battery.

[edit]

**oops** double P'ed on the name, corrected. Funny, when I started doing medical/clinical related work and had to deal with data protection, file compliance specifics in implementation, I started getting really sensitive to how badly it's handled in so many offices, online, etc.
HIPAA is a double edged sword. On one end, the quickest way to end your medical career is a HIPAA violation. On the other hand it often makes patient care more tedious than it should be.

The most awkward thing however is when I bump into a patient in an elevator or hallway (pre-COVID), I'm like very very careful not to give away ANY info about them, and then they start talking to me loudly about their medical issues. It's not that I don't understand they don't mind discussing it in a public space, but I still have to appear compliant. (The solution is to tell them to discuss it in a different setting, but it's awkward no matter how you diffuse it).

U

User.45

I love sling bags but it's nearly impossible to find a good one. The trick is the buckle...designers don't understand that LARGE buckles are much easier to handle when there is weight in the backpack than the tiny ones

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I love sling bags but it's nearly impossible to find a good one. The trick is the buckle...designers don't understand that LARGE buckles are much easier to handle when there is weight in the backpack than the tiny ones
I haven't had an issue with the buckle size. They use the design that allows for easy one hand adjustments. One finger in the latch, and you can slide it up or down easily. So I've adjusted based on how heavy with no problems.

50858036417_90668f6dda_w.jpg

• One-handed cam lock buckle - lets you quickly adjust how the bag rests against your body without moving it.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I switched over to Linux the other day, and I'm thinking about staying here. It has everything I need, generally works better, and is swooft as all get out.

The only two things I'm missing are my Affinity programs, and I'm thinking about buying an MBA to use those on the side.

Also, just to see if I could do it, I made things look surprisingly close to Mac OS. All I'm missing is the global menu bar, and the transparency effects, both of which I can set up, but I'm not gonna bother with it.
Screenshot from 2021-01-27 12-22-02.png

U

User.45

I switched over to Linux the other day, and I'm thinking about staying here. It has everything I need, generally works better, and is swooft as all get out.

The only two things I'm missing are my Affinity programs, and I'm thinking about buying an MBA to use those on the side.

Also, just to see if I could do it, I made things look surprisingly close to Mac OS. All I'm missing is the global menu bar, and the transparency effects, both of which I can set up, but I'm not gonna bother with it.View attachment 3121
I generally love linux, but where the differences lie is that I was never ever able to break MacOs. I break my ubuntu setup every 2months. Every update fucks up CUDA and my nvidia drivers. Battery management and standby mode may also be less efficient. Lastly, MacOs’ RAM management is far superior. I use a 60Gb swap file on a pci ssd because my 16gb ram always dips into the swap. Never an issue on my Mac running the same software .

Renzatic

Reaction score
I generally love linux, but where the differences lie is that I was never ever able to break MacOs. I break my ubuntu setup every 2months. Every update fucks up CUDA and my nvidia drivers. Battery management and standby mode may also be less efficient. Lastly, MacOs’ RAM management is far superior. I use a 60Gb swap file on a pci ssd because my 16gb ram always dips into the swap. Never an issue on my Mac running the same software .

Mac OS has always had superior memory management compared to the other OSes, but I've never had much trouble out of either Windows or Linux on that front. I've had Substance Painter, Designer, and Blender all running in the background in Linux, all very memory intensive programs, and I've never had it dip into more than a gig into my 8GB swap partition.

I've never had all that much luck with Ubuntu though. That's why I'm using Pop OS, which is basically Ubuntu, but with out of the box Nvidia support, and a ton of other under the hood tweaks that seem to make it run better for me than Ubuntu ever did.

U

User.45

Mac OS has always had superior memory management compared to the other OSes, but I've never had much trouble out of either Windows or Linux on that front. I've had Substance Painter, Designer, and Blender all running in the background in Linux, all very memory intensive programs, and I've never had it dip into more than a gig into my 8GB swap partition.

I've never had all that much luck with Ubuntu though. That's why I'm using Pop OS, which is basically Ubuntu, but with out of the box Nvidia support, and a ton of other under the hood tweaks that seem to make it run better for me than Ubuntu ever did.
My issue is that it's RedHat/Ubuntu for which my research software are written, so I never was excited to invest in other versions...Setting this up take half a day and if it fails, it eats up a weekend.

Renzatic

Reaction score
My issue is that it's RedHat/Ubuntu for which my research software are written, so I never was excited to invest in other versions...Setting this up take half a day and if it fails, it eats up a weekend.

Pop is a Ubuntu fork, so anything that works there will work in it.

Really, all Linux distros can run any Linux based program, even ones specifically designed for other distros. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it can be done!

U

User.45

Pop is a Ubuntu fork, so anything that works there will work in it.

Really, all Linux distros can run any Linux based program, even ones specifically designed for other distros. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it can be done!
At the end of the day, I'm a clinician.:) The last thing I should do is troubleshooting Linux:)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I guess my question is - outside of just tinkering for fun - what is more compelling about Linux __if__ you still have a requirement for apps that are only present on MacOS?

Personally, I love MacOS, it gives me the *NIX underpinnings, a beautiful hardware package, that has an actual support channel (including local support, er, kind of at the moment ... :D) AND it combines all that with a pretty respectable commercial software market (which is kind of your situation above).

Top Bottom
1 2