Mackenzie Scott 2020 philanthropy in Phila area focuses on institutions serving low income groups

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

lizkat

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
My own take on Mackenzie Scott's philanthropic decisions for 2020 is just an appreciation of her apparent wish to donate to entities that are serving the often underserved. Of course I am always happy to hear that wealthy donors have decided to underwrite a renovation of performance venue for an opera company or symphony orchestra, museum, etc. But Scott seems focused on other options that are just as important and don't always get the grants they need to be able to work towards having an endowment that can become self-sustaining.

P_X

Elite Member
Reaction score
Poignantly profound. I just burned 100 calories rolling my eyes.
I don't think it's my fault that your eyeballs spent *much* more energy to contribute than your brain.

*A 100 Cal runs your brain for like 3 hours.*

Last edited:

P_X

Elite Member
Reaction score
Of course I do. I’m not a schoolboy.
Of course you're not. Schoolboys try. Are you going to answer my original question, or shall I summon a bot to keep you entertained?

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Reaction score
An interesting article about how we got to a point where one person even gets billions to donate. Billionaires gained a trillon bucks while 8 million people fell into poverty... the system is failing most except the already-rich.

P_X

Elite Member
Reaction score
An interesting article about how we got to a point where one person even gets billions to donate. Billionaires gained a trillon bucks while 8 million people fell into poverty... the system is failing most except the already-rich.

Good article, especially coming from WP...y'know, conflict of interest. There are a lot of good points which are:
1. Wealth is generated by a collective effort, but after a certain threshold those who hold wealth can alter the system so they get compensated disproportionately well.
2. "Self-made" billionaires like Musk or Besos consistently emerged from privileged backgrounds. Which of course is not an issue, until again they hit a level of power that will change compensation disproportionately and maintain inequality.
3. If you set up a system that relies on donations it will be an extremely efficient amplifier of inequalities based on donors tend to benefit their own

Top Bottom