MacOS is full of disappointments since Catalina

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Since Catalina?

I don't know if I've really loved a macOS release since like Mountain Lion or even Snow Leopard.

Maybe it's just me getting older. They always seem to add stuff I don't care about while making things I do care about weirder or harder to use and/or less effective......all while introducing bugs.

Ok - "Grouch hat" removed.

tldr -- I used to be excited about macOS updates. Now I just hope they don't F anything up
I share absolutely your sentiment.

I have spent many hours solving (finding workarounds) irritating bugs that were reported numerous times but were not dealt with.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Just imagine, if people shared printers in communities...
That’s interesting. It might be worthwhile for a condo or apartment building to have a printer that residents could print to... but I don’t know of any that do.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Same here...but certain pharma companies insist on wet signatures or the like, and my kids misplace my apple pencils every 2 years.

It felt like that even 15 years ago, it's just now even more striking. I'll never ever purchase an inkjet ever ever ever again.
Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil for us and even though it's not used as much I still have to keep one around. However, I also use it for printing quality photos so it's not all work related.

D

Deleted member 199

Like a 3D printer?
No, it prints on paper, but using wax (ie heated to become a liquid). The quality is fucking astonishing.

back when I was doing support work (close to 20 years ago) the college I worked at had a couple of them.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
No, it prints on paper, but using wax (ie heated to become a liquid). The quality is fucking astonishing.

back when I was doing support work (close to 20 years ago) the college I worked at had a couple of them.
Mom’s workplace had one of those as well back then. Fucking astonishing quality seconded!

When the printer was new they had some kind of introduction for the people working there when suddenly the printer got busy and spat out a full page photo. Not entirely unexpected, they were supposed to learn how to use the printer after all, right? More unexpected was the particular choice of photo. Let’s just say that not many of the colleagues were expecting one of Cheryl Bachman‘s Playboy photos to pop out there in a crowded room… The person responsible did not get to keep the print.

U

User.45

Mom’s workplace had one of those as well back then. Fucking astonishing quality seconded!

When the printer was new they had some kind of introduction for the people working there when suddenly the printer got busy and spat out a full page photo. Not entirely unexpected, they were supposed to learn how to use the printer after all, right? More unexpected was the particular choice of photo. Let’s just say that not many of the colleagues were expecting one of Cheryl Bachman‘s Playboy photos to pop out there in a crowded room… The person responsible did not get to keep the print.
I bet somebody did though:D

D

Deleted member 199

That's actually a pretty good idea. I am not sure how it would work in practice, but it's a good idea in theory.

Obligatory Simpsons reference

View attachment 7509
Invariably a communal printer like that either (a) gets abused or (b) mandates printing costs.
Once you want to charge for printing, it’s a lot more complex. It may be improved but back in the day reliable printing allowances wasn’t always a solved problem even with “enterprise” solutions and a literal team of nerds.

U

User.191

Invariably a communal printer like that either (a) gets abused or (b) mandates printing costs.
Once you want to charge for printing, it’s a lot more complex. It may be improved but back in the day reliable printing allowances wasn’t always a solved problem even with “enterprise” solutions and a literal team of nerds.
The moment a community printer is installed, the arguments start over "who used up all the paper?", followed by "why's is the toner cartridge empty?"

And if it's not those two then it's "Why did someone print and both Volumes f War and Peace on single sided paper - in color - and why is it still sitting here after 2 weeks?"

Communal printers are never going to work!

D

Deleted member 199

The moment a community printer is installed, the arguments start over "who used up all the paper?", followed by "why's is the toner cartridge empty?"

And if it's not those two then it's "Why did someone print and both Volumes f War and Peace on single sided paper - in color - and why is it still sitting here after 2 weeks?"

This is the sort of thing libraries (either at an educational institute or just the regular kind) were quite good for; they likely have enough other stuff to print that they have really low cost-per-page for consumables, they have staff already, and they can likely make a profit because the cost to print 1 sheet at volume prices is much lower than most people are willing to pay for 1 page of printing.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I came to this conclusion a while ago. Inkjets fucking suck. Laser is the way.
Yes. My nice photo printer is an inkjet. Prints beautiful photos on quality photo paper. The ink in the printer dried up faster than I could use it. Will probably retire it as well. It’s likely unsalvageable after all these years anyway.

On the plus side, professional printing services for photos these days are available and cheaper per copy than the cost of decent paper and ink. Only advantage with the DIY approach nowadays is the much quicker turnaround and that one can print hypothetical pictures one wouldn’t want just anyone to see, or to print the creation of others despite lacking the proper license to do so.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. My nice photo printer is an inkjet. Prints beautiful photos on quality photo paper. The ink in the printer dried up faster than I could use it. Will probably retire it as well. It’s likely unsalvageable after all these years anyway.

On the plus side, professional printing services for photos these days are available and cheaper per copy than the cost of decent paper and ink. Only advantage with the DIY approach nowadays is the much quicker turnaround and that one can print hypothetical pictures one wouldn’t want just anyone to see, or to print the creation of others despite lacking the proper license to do so.
Yep, I ran into that problem with the ink drying up.

D

Deleted member 215

I've been getting a bit frustrated with my 2019 16" MacBook Pro lately as well, though I think my issues are do largely to hardware. (The graphics switching stopped working properly, the laptop gets so hot doing just basic tasks like browsing Apple Music...) Maybe I'm naive to think an Apple Silicon Mac will solve all these issues, but I'm confident that it will solve some. I think my enthusiasm for Macs and macOS might be rekindled by finally jumping on board with Apple Silicon.

As for printers, well, they are the worst piece of technology in existence and have been for some time. I can't tell you how much I loathe printers...

The one we used at the school I worked at would completely stop functioning if one color was low. Even if I wanted to print in B&W it wouldn't let me until we spent $100 to replace the yellow cartridge or whatever. I wanted to take that thing outside and give it the "Office Space" treatment.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Finally took my MBA2020 to Big Sur after buying a few app upgrades. So y'all can tell me what I'm in for that I haven't noticed already....

But anyway the actual upgrading process didn't take as long as I had thought it might, so that was a plus. It sure did go dark and then show me the Apple icon about a BILLION TIMES though in that sparse half-hour or so. But hey, my AppleCare+ is still in effect on the machine so i just told myself "well if it's making a brick then they'll own it and can send me a box to fetch it back home."

No brick though, everything seems fine. Seems to me that the Apple MacOS installer is quite tuned into what it has to do to manage an upgrade without much fuss. "One and done" was a nice experience. Still I had two clones of the old setup, just in case.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

That’s how schools work. You bring your own paper that you purchase with your classroom allocation and make copies from your allotment of around 300 per month. Woe unto the person responsible for calling the copier company when it breaks down, needs replacement toner, or the first of the month when the accounts need to be reset. (Yes, that was part of my job.)

U

User.191

That’s how schools work. You bring your own paper that you purchase with your classroom allocation and make copies from your allotment of around 300 per month. Woe unto the person responsible for calling the copier company when it breaks down, needs replacement toner, or the first of the month when the accounts need to be reset. (Yes, that was part of my job.)
Back in my day at school, the copier was this weird assed purple printing type thing (and I swear the ink used had some sort of highly addictive chemical because all us kids used to snort the things more than we’d read the contents).. Between that, the Overhead projector and the transparencies and the VCR wheel in and operated by teachers who barely knew how to turn the TV on, we were at the height of modern technology!

Erik

MRefugee
Reaction score
Back in my day at school, the copier was this weird assed purple printing type thing (and I swear the ink used had some sort of highly addictive chemical because all us kids used to snort the things more than we’d read the contents).. Between that, the Overhead projector and the transparencies and the VCR wheel in and operated by teachers who barely knew how to turn the TV on, we were at the height of modern technology!
That's a spirit duplicator. And it indeed had an addictive quality, as the inks were mainly alcohol.

Top Bottom
1 2