MacOS is full of disappointments since Catalina

U

User.45

Not sure if it's only me, but what captivated me with Macs is how easy and low-maintenance the whole thing was. Locating and fixing printer drivers have been a bane to my existence and not having to deal with it on Mac was a major plus. I was able to use my Samsung printers without issues for 6 years. Now with both Catalina and Big Sur, it doesn't locate the drivers for me anymore. This is the 2nd hour today I've been trying to fix this shit and although I located a driver, now it tells me there's a filter error (i.e. faulty driver).

This is more than disappointing...

...I don't care about the 13th iPhone that lacks a fingerprint reader in a pandemic. I don't care about the colors of the iMac. I want to not have to spend hours fixing printer drivers or buy a fucking new printer annually.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Not sure if it's only me, but what captivated me with Macs is how easy and low-maintenance the whole thing was. Locating and fixing printer drivers have been a bane to my existence and not having to deal with it on Mac was a major plus. I was able to use my Samsung printers without issues for 6 years. Now with both Catalina and Big Sur, it doesn't locate the drivers for me anymore. This is the 2nd hour today I've been trying to fix this shit and although I located a driver, now it tells me there's a filter error (i.e. faulty driver).

This is more than disappointing...

...I don't care about the 13th iPhone that lacks a fingerprint reader in a pandemic. I don't care about the colors of the iMac. I want to not have to spend hours fixing printer drivers or buy a fucking new printer annually.
I wonder what the cause of this is. I have a truly ancient HP laser printer that works quite well with Big Sur. Perhaps HP updates their drivers and Samsung doesn’t?

Check out this Apple help page for a start: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252034776

U

User.45

I wonder what the cause of this is. I have a truly ancient HP laser printer that works quite well with Big Sur. Perhaps HP updates their drivers and Samsung doesn’t?

Check out this Apple help page for a start: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252034776
Tried it already:(

It's certainly a Samsung pushed support to Hp kind of thing, but the fact that this printer worked FLAWLESSLY for 6 years and still works on my server Mac with a grandfathered driver tell it all.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Tried it already:(

It's certainly a Samsung pushed support to Hp kind of thing, but the fact that this printer worked FLAWLESSLY for 6 years and still works on my server Mac with a grandfathered driver tell it all.
Wish I could help you more; I am sure there is a way to get it working, but I’ve had similar experiences with old printers and newer versions of Mac OS (and Windows); it can take a bit of work to get it up and running.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Some older drivers still work with Big Sur. I recently had to reinstall my 10-year-old Brother AIO printer and couldn't find Big Sur drivers anywhere. So I installed the latest prior version and it works fine. Easily the best, longest-lasting printer I've ever owned. Paid $180 for it in 2011 - same printer is now $750 (both on Amazon).

U

User.191

I was a relative late arrival into the Mac world - High Sierra was my first Mac OS version. I've never regretted making the change and now I've got all my tools set up I still find it a joy to use.

So far I've not had any issues with any of my devices - the only 'big' issue really was waiting for vendors to wake up and smell the 'no-kext' coffee...

My workhorse if an HP M476 - I paid ~$500 - and now it's $1,900!

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
my podcast app wont run it keeps crashing since two updates ago. and I get the message my Macintosh hd failed to eject properly at random times.

D

Deleted member 221

Since Catalina?

I don't know if I've really loved a macOS release since like Mountain Lion or even Snow Leopard.

Maybe it's just me getting older. They always seem to add stuff I don't care about while making things I do care about weirder or harder to use and/or less effective......all while introducing bugs.

Ok - "Grouch hat" removed.

tldr -- I used to be excited about macOS updates. Now I just hope they don't F anything up

U

User.45

Some older drivers still work with Big Sur. I recently had to reinstall my 10-year-old Brother AIO printer and couldn't find Big Sur drivers anywhere. So I installed the latest prior version and it works fine. Easily the best, longest-lasting printer I've ever owned. Paid $180 for it in 2011 - same printer is now $750 (both on Amazon).
The rampancy of planned obsolescence is literally criminal in the printer business, so I was very pleasantly surprised about my literally plug-n-play samsung that always had my back when I needed a quick scan or print even after many months of dormancy. Until Catalina...

Since Catalina?

I don't know if I've really loved a macOS release since like Mountain Lion or even Snow Leopard.

Maybe it's just me getting older. They always seem to add stuff I don't care about while making things I do care about weirder or harder to use and/or less effective......all while introducing bugs.

Ok - "Grouch hat" removed.

tldr -- I used to be excited about macOS updates. Now I just hope they don't F anything up
I share this experience. 4-5 years of sidebar and it's still super half assed. dashboard from before still has more functionality than sidebar/notif center. Home was a nice addition but took 2-3 version to work. they should have the same functions as in iOS embedded in sidebar including an apple TV remote

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is that the operating system has gotten so good that there's not that much more they can add to it. Yeah, sometimes new features are cool and/or extend the functionality, but many times the changes are unneeded, cosmetic or incremental.

What kills me is that the things they can add, that people have been asking for forever, they haven't. Things like more easily cutting and pasting files the way Windows does, or adding to Quicktime X the functionality they removed when Quicktime 7 went away.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I've really moved into the paperless society I guess. I haven't plugged in my HP fax-print-copy thing for a few years now... don't miss feeding it cartridges, that's for sure.

U

User.45

I've really moved into the paperless society I guess. I haven't plugged in my HP fax-print-copy thing for a few years now... don't miss feeding it cartridges, that's for sure.
Same here...but certain pharma companies insist on wet signatures or the like, and my kids misplace my apple pencils every 2 years.

Printers in general have always been a pain in the butt, even moreso this last decade when they've been technologically left behind
It felt like that even 15 years ago, it's just now even more striking. I'll never ever purchase an inkjet ever ever ever again.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Printers, lol.

I have four of them, haven’t used any of them for years. Finally getting off my ass to get rid of at least two of them soon now that temperatures are forecast to fall a bit. Carrying crap sucks when it‘s hot outside. Will be nice to reclaim some storage space.

It all started out with a single laser printer back in the days when things commonly needed to be printed. Then I got my mother‘s laser printer when she passed away, her printer was of a newer model so why not? Then I bought a photo printer. And then a friend gifted me a networked color laser printer, also an upgrade… Oink!

U

User.45

Printers, lol.

I have four of them, haven’t used any of them for years. Finally getting off my ass to get rid of at least two of them soon now that temperatures are forecast to fall a bit. Carrying crap sucks when it‘s hot outside. Will be nice to reclaim some storage space.

It all started out with a single laser printer back in the days when things commonly needed to be printed. Then I got my mother‘s laser printer when she passed away, her printer was of a newer model so why not? Then I bought a photo printer. And then a friend gifted me a networked color laser printer, also an upgrade… Oink!
I used to have a Samsung laser printer. It was an entry level one for around 300 GBP and it worked well until it ran out of the magic juice. I bought a genuine refill set from Amazon (supplied by Samsung) and the printer would not recognise them. I figured that I must have been confused and somehow bought fakes, so I bought another refill set from a large physical store. The printer would not recognise these either. I paid around 120 GBP for these refill sets in total. I put the refill sets and the printer in the back of my pick up truck and took them to the local dump in a scene reminiscent of Office Space.

These days I try to print as little as possible. The wife still likes to print some things because she's not fully onboard with the digital lifestyle. I mostly use the scanner functionality. This means that we need a printer about 3 times a year. The little Epson XP-820 has been doing a satisfactory job.
Just imagine, if people shared printers in communities...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Just imagine, if people shared printers in communities...
In a way I kind of did, I used to help out friends with prints. That faded away once most people could print their private stuff at work. Then printing private stuff at work faded away as well, most people hardly ever need to print stuff anymore.

Top Bottom
1 2