MacOS

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any reason not to upgrade to Big Sur?

I’m the the process of bailing on 1 Password, password manager, am thinking about Codebook but it requires Big Sur for autofill capability. Currently using Catalina.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
Catalina was the first version Apple shipped without 32-bit app support, so no worries on that front - whatever he's got should still run.

Overall, Big Sur has been a pretty decent version of macOS for me. I'm not a big fan of the visual redesign, but everything else has been good.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You will not be able to run any 32-bit apps. Check the file info to see if there are any you use a lot.

Catalina was the first version Apple shipped without 32-bit app support, so no worries on that front - whatever he's got should still run.

Overall, Big Sur has been a pretty decent version of macOS for me. I'm not a big fan of the visual redesign, but everything else has been good.

I have Catalina (10), my intent was to install Big Sur (11), but the only upgrade path that Apple seems to be offering (via System Preferences) is to Monterey (12).

• Is there a way to easily upgrade to MacOS11?
  • Would it be foolish to bite the bullet and upgrade to MacOS12?
  • Whatever I upgrade to, if I do a clean install, can I use my Catalina Time Machine backup to restore my desktop to something recognizable?
  • I've read that via Time Machine, I could revert back to Catelina. Can anyone explain or have a link on how to do this?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Would it be foolish to bite the bullet and upgrade to MacOS12?
I would upgrade to Monterey unless you know there's something that would be incompatible. There's really not much other reason to stay on an older OS.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I would upgrade to Monterey unless you know there's something that would be incompatible. There's really not much other reason to stay on an older OS.
Despite due diligence, I'm always surprised by incompatibilities and issues that pop up related to drivers, VPN software, and the like. IIRC, I upgraded from Catalina around when 11.1 or 11.2 was released, but my Mac wasn't stable until 11.4. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with Monterey.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Kinda related, I am curious why you are ditching 1password?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Subscription now demanded, loss of private vaults, money grubbing so and sos. 🤨,
Aren't they all... Back in the early 2000s I used an opensource package nsh (network shell). Basically it allowed you to login in and control multiple servers with one command line. Then a company came along and bought it (didn't know you could do that until then), and commercialized it. The company I worked for ended up paying millions for an "enhanced version" of it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aren't they all... Back in the early 2000s I used an opensource package nsh (network shell). Basically it allowed you to login in and control multiple servers with one command line. Then a company came along and bought it (didn't know you could do that until then), and commercialized it. The company I worked for ended up paying millions for an "enhanced version" of it.
I accept some subscriptions as necessary say a anti-virus program that constantly updates virus definitions. But a password manager, by a company who now forces you to use their servers (where before it was private servers) so they can justify a new subscription model, NFW! :mad:

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I accept some subscriptions as necessary say a anti-virus program that constantly updates virus definitions. But a password manager, by a company who now forces you to use their servers (where before it was private servers) so they can justify a new subscription model, NFW! :mad:
Understood... We all have our line in the sand. Mine is AT&T and using the daily global pass in an approved country that never worked. Going to be dumping them for t-mobile *shudder*

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
That wouldn’t happen to be BMC would it?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
That wouldn’t happen to be BMC would it?
ding! ding! ding! But can you tell me the name of the company BMC bought?

NSH was the grandfather of RH ansible... But I cannot convince the youngsters that who tell me how great it is.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have Catalina (10), my intent was to install Big Sur (11), but the only upgrade path that Apple seems to be offering (via System Preferences) is to Monterey (12).

• Is there a way to easily upgrade to MacOS11?
  • Would it be foolish to bite the bullet and upgrade to MacOS12?
  • Whatever I upgrade to, if I do a clean install, can I use my Catalina Time Machine backup to restore my desktop to something recognizable?
  • I've read that via Time Machine, I could revert back top Catelina. Can anyone explain or have a link on how to do this?
Thanks!
In order:
  • There is a way to download installers for not-current versions of macOS, but I wouldn't call it easy for all experience levels. I use the installinstallmacos.py script from this Github hosted proejct: https://github.com/grahampugh/macadmin-scripts
  • The first release of any major version usually has some bugs. The big one I know about in Monterey is a memory leak affecting some (but not all) people running 12.0.1. If I were in your shoes and I could hold off for a while, I'd wait till 12.1 or 12.2 (and positive reports about those versions), then do the big upgrade.
  • Yes. If you have the Time Machine backup connected during first boot of the new OS, you can choose to migrate applications, user accounts, data files, and settings from the backup. Apple's Migration software is generally very good at getting everything moved over and looking exactly like before. You can also run Migration Assistant.app at any time to import the same kinds of things from a backup, but doing it during the first boot is nice because you don't end up with extra user accounts.
  • It's not too hard, there's some overly wordy instructions here: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/downgrade-macos-3581872

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So what are you going to use?

Right now, it looks like Codebook. But I started a trial and did not realize that autofill does not work until MacOS11 and then I'm like DUHH!!! So now in the 2 weeks I have to evaluate it, I need to upgrade to 11 or 12. But I really don't want to do both, and because 12 is out, it's easier to do. I might just take a chance and go with 12.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
ding! ding! ding! But can you tell me the name of the company BMC bought?

NSH was the grandfather of RH ansible... But I cannot convince the youngsters that who tell me how great it is.
The place where I work also invested millions in their product. All I can say is it was the biggest steaming pile of shit software I have ever seen. Then they ditched it. 😆

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
I put away my MacBook in the drawer. (Had enough of MacOS. Like love, it comes and goes).
I have been using an HP Laptop for the past two years.
I gave my iPAD to my son. Time to time he uses it.
Now playing with my new android tablet.

Only the iPhone remains. For good.

Top Bottom
1 2