MacRumors PRSI forum - allowing right wing trolls to ruin the experience for everyone

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We know this wouldn't be allowed on their site and since many users post at both places I'll just share this so people can comment if they like.

What used to be a decent forum for people from both sides of the aisle to post their views has turned into a right wing dumping ground that favors Conservatives and penalizes Democrats, apparently because their staff leans to the right.

One user in particular, Apple OC, posts the most hateful and vile content while trolling and reporting everyone who disagrees with him. He has successfully gotten several of their users banned while he himself faces no penalties, in turn it's ruined the place for everyone. If anyone here knows why or can defend MR we welcome your input.

Scepticalscribe

Staff member
Reaction score
We know this wouldn't be allowed on their site and since many users post at both places I'll just share this so people can comment if they like.

What used to be a decent forum for people from both sides of the aisle to post their views has turned into a right wing dumping ground that favors Conservatives and penalizes Democrats, apparently because their staff leans to the right.

One user in particular, Apple OC, posts the most hateful and vile content while trolling and reporting everyone who disagrees with him. He has successfully gotten several of their users banned while he himself faces no penalties, in turn it's ruined the place for everyone. If anyone here knows why or can defend MR we welcome your input.
I joined MR because I had "switched" to Apple, and had bought myself a MBP as a belated birthday present in 2008, and - not knowing much about Apples, had questions I wished to ask, and this seemed a good pace to try to have them answered.

I stayed - it was the first online community I had ever joined - because I liked it.

However, these days, I see MR as a business, a commercial enterprise, one that broadly reflects the values and attitudes of the wider society that gave rise to it.

That means, since 2016, it has leaned largely right, in terms of political complexion, because - and I would be troubled if I thought that the site was actively, or deliberately, sexist or racist - it makes for a more comfortable (and profitable) commercial experience, and - I suspect - a more remunerative one, too.

While I think that their some of their staff do increasingly lean to the right, and tolerate (and facilitate) some of the awful stuff that spews from some on the right, I also think that this is because they support whoever runs the show, politically, they tilt towards whoever is in power, and - until this week - that has been the (absolutely awful, utterly appalling) administration of r Trump.

I also suspect that they may have banked on - and hoped for - Mr Trump being returned to office; it is relatively unusual, after all, for a sitting president to be unseated, especially, once their outrageous attempts at stratospheric voter suppression (the scandalous attempt to kneecap the Post Office) had been ramped up.

Nevertheless, they seem to have erred, for, against the odds (voter suppression, misrepresentation, misinformation, a global pandemic, an economic catastrophe) Mr Biden - having run a dignified and responsible campaign, has actually won the election, and won it relatively comfortably.

And, unless - like the GOP - they have one of these internal "come-to-Jesus" chats with themselves - eventually, come January, there may be consequences, commercial, rather than anything to do with ethics or ideology.

If I had to hazard a guess, wearing my analyst's hat (rather than deploring - and I do - their unfair and unjust interpretations of their own rules, and their precipitate actions wielding ban hammers on liberal forum members with a suspicious degree of enthusiasm), I would expect to see a sort of a swing in the coming months, a bit of a change in the direction of the prevailing breeze, a little more tolerance of the liberal perspective and forum rules & regulations enforced with a bit more vigour against trolls of a conservative persuasion.

As for the gentleman (I assume a gentleman) you have mentioned; a nasty provocative piece of work.

However, come January, he may find his days numbered as - hazarding a guess, or estimate, here - I would expect to see the ban hammer wielded somewhat more enthusiastically against him and his underwhelming ilk on the right once a new administration has taken office.

Last edited:

niji

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
as i mentioned in passing in a different thread, i have formally quit MR. just last week.
my posts there are headed under a closed account labeled jpn (i changed it just before i hit the send button to request closure my account).
i asked them to close my account. i had been a paying supporter but i voted with action to just close the account.

merely railing against what i believe is wrong is not enough for me.
millions of americans who voted in this past election have proven that taking action consists of changing their own behaviour to achieve change.

from the various ads that show up now on MR (due to not being a paid member) its easy to see that google's algorithm can't figure out my profile (gender, age, nationality, language preference, political preference; and thanks to NTT (the phone company) it places my IP address not even in the same general area where my home is).
from the ads it appears the algorithm thinks im a 25 year old who prefers a standing desk and is looking for bargain athletic clothes. LOL.

Last edited:

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
@Alli I see we have a replacement for seddy:
1604940167660.png

Just looking at this makes my eyes bleed.
1. Plural for curriculum is curricula
2. DO and MD are similar. ODs? Absolutely not, though I honestly don't know what an OD does, because they don't come near hospitals.
BTW, what differentiaties DOs/MDs from everyone else is the residency training. So anytime someone claims they had the "same training" my memories from residency just flash before my eyes.

Alli

Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 1288

2. DO and MD are similar. ODs? Absolutely not, though I honestly don't know what an OD does, because they don't come near hospitals.
BTW, what differentiaties DOs/MDs from everyone else is the residency training. So anytime someone claims they had the "same training" my memories from residency just flash before my eyes.
You know I couldn’t wait to respond.

If you believe a doctor of optometry and an ophthalmologist are the same, can you point me to a DO who will remove cataracts? Cause even here in Alabackwards that’s not a thing. They don’t have the training. (Training is part of a curriculum.) Oh, and the plural of curriculum is curriculae or curricula if you ask an academic.

Your post in general reminds me of the saying “physician, heal thyself.”

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1288

I don't know how I keep missing that prize winner's posts

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I will admit, I have hit my "Stupidity Saturation Point" often there. So there are just some threads I don't even consider looking at, perhaps that's the reason.
You've appeared to avoid penalties over there by knowing what to avoid and when, which is key to avoiding a permanent ban. It would just be nice for all if they applied their rules even handedly instead of favoring those who ruin it for the rest.

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Reaction score
You've appeared to avoid penalties over there by knowing what to avoid and when, which is key to avoiding a permanent ban. It would just be nice for all if they applied their rules even handedly instead of favoring those who ruin it for the rest.
Yeah.

If it's really stupid, I avoid it. Thus the 'Stupidity Saturation Point' I have.

I even avoid pshfud and he's NOT a troll. Just a serial poster who will respond you to even if you said "Death happens", to explain how death is in his state as if it's somehow radically different.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah.

If it's really stupid, I avoid it. Thus the 'Stupidity Saturation Point' I have.

I even avoid pshfud and he's NOT a troll. Just a serial poster who will respond you to even if you said "Death happens", to explain how death is in his state as if it's somehow radically different.
LOL.

JagRunner

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah.

I messaged Pshfud. He said he has a lot of time on his hands and that's why he goes back and forth with some of the trolls lol

Top Bottom