Macrumors still nuking posts without even so much as a word

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I started that thread over there. There was nothing political about it.

And it isn’t just TX paying $2. The FEDERAL minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hr.

Some states may increase it, but not all do.

In any case, that combined with tips must meet the standard federal minimum wage of $7.25.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
In some States (I’ve not verified all or even most of them), Capitalism has run amuk. In Texas they passed a law that considers tips as part of the waiter’s income, and the business owner only has to pay them something like $2 an hour.

The majority of US states allow tip-credit wages to some extent. The federal minimum wage remains, so far, at $7.25/hr, which is itself absurd. If a job is perceived as one that garners tips, federal law sets the base minimum wage at $2.33, but the employer still must pay regular minimum wage for worked hours where business is too slow to support the extra $4.92 difference. Seems like there is a lot of room for managerial mischief there – if I can, I try to tip in cash so that the server gets first crack at it.

The west coast states and Nevada do not allow tip credit wages, and a few others are restrictive but leave loopholes.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
n some States (I’ve not verified all or even most of them), Capitalism has run amuk. In Texas they passed a law that considers tips as part of the waiter’s income, and the business owner only has to pay them something like $2 an hour.

And it isn’t just TX paying $2. The FEDERAL minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hr.

As Herdfan said, it’s everywhere. That means, if you’re a server in an expensive place you make good money. If you work somewhere like Waffle House, you can still need a second job, even if all your customers give you 20%. (After waiting tables, I always leave 20%.) The tip jars are a scam, especially in places like Starbucks where they make a decent salary.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I started that thread over there. There was nothing political about it.

Some states may increase it, but not all do.

In any case, that combined with tips must meet the standard federal minimum wage of $7.25.
It’s a tip, and should be a bonus, something that makes the job attractive, not be considered a wage, and it’s BS, that employers expect customers to pay their employee wages. And $7.25 is an insult. Agreed?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did not want to start another MacRumors thread, but almost funny I got a “notice/reminder” for replying to an existing post asking a simple question… the last sentence below: 😳 The entire thread was wiped.

Huntn,

This is a reminder from the MacRumors moderator team to avoid making posts that are about political, religious, or social issues, outside the "Political News" forum, and that are likely to steer discussions to those types of topics.

We purposely limit political, religious, or social issue discussion to the Political News forum (https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/political-news.218/) since the issues are often controversial or sources of discord, and can easily interfere with discussions on other topics, especially in news threads. Your post may have been edited, removed, or moved for this reason.

For further information and instructions, see the Reminders section of the Moderation FAQ. Do not reply to (or report) a moderation message like this one.

If you have concerns or questions about this notice, submit them using the Contact form. If you send messages to individual administrators or moderators instead, they will direct you to the Contact form.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Your post: What Book Are You Reading?
San Fransicko: Why Progressives Ruin Cities, by Michael Shellenberger.

I'm about a third of the way through this, and finding it to be an informative and thought-provoking take on the subject of homelessness in US cities, primarily San Francisco. Turns out that I didn't know very much about this subject.

It's interesting that the author is a self-proclaimed progressive that does a pretty good job of skewering a number of progressive policies that are purported to "solve" the problem of homelessness in our cities. His discussion of the roles of various nonprofit organizations that effectively drive the homeless policies of various cities is illuminating.

So far it's a worthwhile read. We'll see how well the rest of the book delivers.
Does he contrast with conservative run cities? 🤔

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did not want to start another MacRumors thread, but almost funny I got a “notice/reminder” for replying to an existing post asking a simple question… the last sentence below: 😳

Huntn,

This is a reminder from the MacRumors moderator team to avoid making posts that are about political, religious, or social issues, outside the "Political News" forum, and that are likely to steer discussions to those types of topics.

We purposely limit political, religious, or social issue discussion to the Political News forum (https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/political-news.218/) since the issues are often controversial or sources of discord, and can easily interfere with discussions on other topics, especially in news threads. Your post may have been edited, removed, or moved for this reason.

For further information and instructions, see the Reminders section of the Moderation FAQ. Do not reply to (or report) a moderation message like this one.

If you have concerns or questions about this notice, submit them using the Contact form. If you send messages to individual administrators or moderators instead, they will direct you to the Contact form.

At MR, dissing progressives is just facts. Questioning conservatives is “politics.”

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I did not want to start another MacRumors thread, but almost funny I got a “notice/reminder” for replying to an existing post asking a simple question… the last sentence below: 😳

Huntn,

who is the moderator?

Top Bottom
1 2