Macrumors still nuking posts without even so much as a word

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Somehow I haven't, only warned. This would seem normal if I hadn't seen what others have been suspended for at times.

That's how it's gone for me over there too. Warned for discussing moderation on the board, when was only trying to help others not get suspensions after I had seen how some of those bans occurred. I still go there when looking for a solution to some obscure Mac-related issue now and then, but that's about it.

EDIT: well I do have to put one good word for maflynn. He said once something about being inattentive one morning and almost putting a polarized plug into the outlet the wrong way around... every time since, before I plug in my kettle I think about that!

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
🙋🏼‍♀️ i was banned twice. on the photography board. one was probably warranted. the other was not. both due to the same person being stupid as rocks.

Last edited:

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
That's how it's gone for me over there too. Warned for discussing moderation on the board, when was only trying to help others not get suspensions after I had seen how some of those bans occurred.
Sometimes I wonder if I speak like a politician, because I've never even gotten a warning. I guess I'm not missing out on much.
well I do have to put one good word for maflynn. He said once something about being inattentive one morning and almost putting a polarized plug into the outlet the wrong way around... every time since, before I plug in my kettle I think about that!
The only time maflynn ever liked one of my posts was when I described something Rene Ritchie said as "sycophantic". I like Rene, but there were times when he was bit too enthusiastic about Apple, and MR's resident Windows user was all about that. Now, Rene works for Google, so he has suddenly stopped doing the Apple rumors videos with the silly Youtube "shock face" thumbnails that appear to be the norm these days. I'm not sure working for the Borg is an upgrade, but I wish him well.

I don't like dumping on moderators, because it's a thankless job. I'm sure the MR mods must have their reasons, alien though they may be to us on the outside. However, they make it very difficult to muster any measure of sympathy, since they hide everything inside a black box and don't explain it rationally. It's very much "I am the law!", no more, no less.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if I speak like a politician, because I've never even gotten a warning. I guess I'm not missing out on much.

The only time maflynn ever liked one of my posts was when I described something Rene Ritchie said as "sycophantic". I like Rene, but there were times when he was bit too enthusiastic about Apple, and MR's resident Windows user was all about that. Now, Rene works for Google, so he has suddenly stopped doing the Apple rumors videos with the silly Youtube "shock face" thumbnails that appear to be the norm these days. I'm not sure working for the Borg is an upgrade, but I wish him well.

I don't like dumping on moderators, because it's a thankless job. I'm sure the MR mods must have their reasons, alien though they may be to us on the outside. However, they make it very difficult to muster any measure of sympathy, since they hide everything inside a black box and don't explain it rationally. It's very much "I am the law!", no more, no less.
For Renee every Apple bug is a feature.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I would ask who among us has not been suspended over there at one time or another. By all accounts this was an amicable and friendly exchange, Frankie's post was honest and informative, while not insulting anyone. This seemed to be more about them not wanting anyone to vouch for vaccine efficacy than anything to me.
I haven't been suspended but did receive warnings over stupid shit that probably didn't warrant a warning.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
One of the few, a sincere congratulations. Their loss is our gain, he'e been a great member of this site and has grown his area nicely, in all the time he's been here he's hasn't misstepped a single time but I think we have an entirely different threshold for that here.
Well, he is a mod, after all. Suspending a mod is a pretty dire look. Mostly, though, this site seems to have a severe shortage of provocative assholes, thus it is a little harder to actually lose one's patience. Add to that the apparent difference in average age between MR and TA ("apparent" meaning estimated age based on overall behavior), which currently looks to me to be around 1.4. (Generations, that is.)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Well, he is a mod, after all. Suspending a mod is a pretty dire look. Mostly, though, this site seems to have a severe shortage of provocative assholes, thus it is a little harder to actually lose one's patience. Add to that the apparent difference in average age between MR and TA ("apparent" meaning estimated age based on overall behavior), which currently looks to me to be around 1.4. (Generations, that is.)
And offered the position in short order as well. He came here to post mostly about tech, is both knowledgeable and respected by his peers and most of all, hit by mods at MR, so that ticked all the right boxes for me. For the most part what they find worthy of penalizing people for we find fun and humanizing. @Herdfan can call himself a redneck all day long here and nobody's going to ding him for it. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I haven't been suspended on MR, though I was warned once. TBH, I only go there to see if there are any interesting news or rumors tidbits and occasionally check out some of the technical forums. Being banned wouldn't affect me at all.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And offered the position in short order as well. He came here to post mostly about tech, is both knowledgeable and respected by his peers and most of all, hit by mods at MR, so that ticked all the right boxes for me.

Did you forget to mention he's dreamy?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Many of us on the Digital Photography subforum have received at least one suspension thanks to that guy..... He's an irritant beyond belief!

Curious... what would be a typical cause of someone being suspended on the Digital Photography subform (of all places)?

I never participated on that forum. But have had a few suspensions on the News forum.

As an aside, I'm having an "interesting" conversation there now about photography on the "10 Settings to Check Out on iPhone Pro" thread. About Apple's use of the word "Pro" in iPhone names, what makes a strong photograph and that having very little to do with gear, etc.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Curious... what would be a typical cause of someone being suspended on the Digital Photography subform (of all places)?

I never participated on that forum. But have had a few suspensions on the News forum.

As an aside, I'm having an "interesting" conversation there now about photography on the "10 Settings to Check Out on iPhone Pro" thread. About Apple's use of the word "Pro" in iPhone names, what makes a strong photograph and that having very little to do with gear, etc.
Sometimes all it takes is a single troll to bait and get you penalized, xxxx seems to have been very successful at that.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Sometimes all it takes is a single troll to bait and get you penalized, xxxx seems to have been very successful at that.

I wouldn't say he's a troll, so much as a volatile mix of arrogance, touchiness, and supreme stupidity,

Last edited by a moderator:

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Yeah, but not on purpose. :p
yeah i agree. his posts are very troll like but he is completely oblivious to it.

fwiw i hate talking about people when they aren’t on the relevant boards to defend themselves. i’ve been that person twice (being talked about elsewhere). but i did actually tell him what i thought of him over there. which got me my first ban. 🙄 i don’t even remember what my second ban was for but he basically reports anyone who disagrees with him which somehow gets the regulars in trouble even with no actual provocation.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Regardless of who it is, the pattern is the same with mods there, they only care about what is reported and not about the person baiting others (whether intentional or not). They've denied this on several occasions but their actions consistently show it.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Regardless of who it is, the pattern is the same with mods there, they only care about what is reported and not about the person baiting others (whether intentional or not). They've denied this on several occasions but their actions consistently show it.
It wasn't obvious to me initially, it became a gradual thing, but it's gotten to the point where I parse every damn thing I say over there, like I'm writing my lawyer or Congressman, and not a tech message board. I say this as someone who generally tries to find comity, and has never interacted with the MR mods, but repeatedly held my tongue around the ne'er-do-wells and agitators that pervade that forum. Over here, I say whatever comes to mind, because I don't feel like I'm under the proverbial microscope, which I'm not.

Top Bottom
1 2