Macs, PCs, or Consoles For Gaming?

U

User.45

Only consoles, do not like gaming on computers, though I did some computer gaming decades ago.

All the games I'd be interested in are console (and many are console only), and developed to a console specification, so I don't need to worry about which video card, drivers, etc., it's a more simplified process for me and feels less like work. I plop down on a sofa, fire up a 65" 4K TV, with an AVR/speakers, etc., all setup for a maximum AV experience - and if it's [local] multiplayer, we can all find a comfortable spot, with plenty of display visibility.
Yup. I get fixated on tweaking settings on a PC and that again kills the experience. Also, I have like GTX 1070 (non-Ti)...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
The client is just a small program. No reason not to install it? I have one game I purchased there (Outer World) at a good price. And I scoop up their free games including Alien Isolation, although I had already already bought that on Steam on sale.
I’ll install it if I ever get the urge to play any of the free games I’ve ”bought” and don’t have easy access to them in any other way, like in my Steam library. :mrgreen:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that no one has tried selling their Mac as an ideal gaming solution, no surprise there. :D

I bet you could play a helluva good game of ping pong with a Macbook Air. They're light, but they've got just enough heft to them to make for a good paddle...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that no one has tried selling their Mac as an ideal gaming solution, no surprise there. :D
I was actually carefully researching and buying parts for a modern Hackintosh, said frak it, bought a M1ni instead and made the Hackintosh-to-be my gaming PC. That almost counts as a Mac, right? 😅

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

A Porsche TT isn't good for hauling mulch ... 😄

Honestly, there's plenty of good games for Mac if someone want to be entertained - I think it really just depends on what you want. I looked at a few "Top N games for Mac", and several look pretty awesome and have killer reviews. I think if your goal is to play some specific AAA PC game, nah, it's not a great idea, but for me, a PC is an equally bad idea because you can't play Resident Evil Village :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A Porsche TT isn't good for hauling mulch ... 😄

Honestly, there's plenty of good games for Mac if someone want to be entertained - I think it really just depends on what you want. I looked at a few "Top N games for Mac", and several look pretty awesome and have killer reviews. I think if your goal is to play some specific AAA PC game, nah, it's not a great idea, but for me, a PC is an equally bad idea because you can't play Resident Evil Village :D
Cyberpunk 2077 is impressive as hell with some serious issues that dissapointed the hard core fans. More on that soon. :)

U

User.45

Do you guys want to throw a Left4Dead party? It's kinda the only fun game that (used to) run(s) on Mac and it's 4 player coop.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you guys want to throw a Left4Dead party? It's kinda the only fun game that (used to) run(s) on Mac and it's 4 player coop.
Don’t take this personal, but I’ll pass. L4D is a great game, a lot of fun coop, played that for years, but it’s been there done that for me.

I’m in a guild, have played a couple years with others in online survival games, like Conan:Exiles and ARK: Survival Evolved, but what I discovered is that online servers are very perishable, I know a group of people who play together for company, but I’m been there done that too, especially for base building games, and now spend most of my time playing solo.

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
My 2015 MBP can handle NES games well :p

The times I actually play modern games are on my consoles, the last year or so I started embracing digital copies.

I have Steam and actually most of my games there can be played on Mac, but I haven't tested any of them yet.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My 2015 MBP can handle NES games well :p

The times I actually play modern games are on my consoles, the last year or so I started embracing digital copies.

I have Steam and actually most of my games there can be played on Mac, but I haven't tested any of them yet.
I had a 21011 MBP with a dedicated card ($2600) which was perfectly adequate at the time for gaming via Bootcamp. Then in 2016, Apple upped the price on that model to $3k and I said screw that. And now Bootcamp is history (I think) so I’m done with Macs for gaming, I still have my 2016 MBP with integrated graphics for all the serious computer work I do, except gaming. That happens on my home built PC. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Oh man, I might be up for something like this, I might have to steal the M1 MBP ... FYI I tend to shoot the players on my own team :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of gamer-ing ...

I stole my little G's gaming chair, hahahaha, my office chair was destroyed, hers was basically new and just sitting in the landing area. I moved over my nice armrests (I had replaced them several months back) and my super nice inline BB wheels (these are an immediate upgrade for any office chairs).

I mean, she abandoned it, hahahaha, she's constantly moving furniture / rearranging her room, she took her desk from the landing area and moved it into her room one night, but using her pink and white smaller, task type chair with it.

__MY__ new chair is black with red logos and the wheels I moved over have black hubs ... looks pretty swell :D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We used to have LONG nights post work - and with some work mingled in - of playing Marathon on the local Mac network back in the late 90s.

Way before there were options like that, we used to shove some long-running job into the mainframe queue after we'd fixed any last minute compilation errors around 10 or 11pm, and then head out to one of the local brasseries or bistros east of Park Ave and make a meal of some shared appetizers and a few rounds of fancy ales for a couple hours. The ops were cooperative, even used to phone over to one place we were likely to hang out and let us know when the thing was finally printing. Needless to say sometimes our review of the output was rather cursory.

Much later on at another place, some of us kept that sort of thing up even in the 90s... babysitting new cron jobs in the last rounds of beta tests can get boring, so we'd head over to 12th Ave to some Chinese places tourists never heard of, get some simple thing off-menu like just some tofu and bok choi in chicken broth or whatever, then wander back past a pizza place to pick up the pie we'd ordered on our way west... just in case when we got back we were looking at another 4 hours of boredom punctuated by exasperated patches to the jobstreams. Good times.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have given up on consoles. I don't get to play much, but if I have 15 minutes before the wife is ready to watch something, I would fire up the XBox and play something. Usually some driving game.

But it got to be where it had to update this or that then the game had an update and the 15 minutes I had came and went while waiting for it up update. Liked them better when they weren't connected to the internet.

Top Bottom
1 2