Macs, PCs, or Consoles For Gaming?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
All the meaningful game talk concerns PC gaming. Most of the Mac gaming chat has to do with compatibility, getting something to run issue.

Macs are far from toys, but are ill suited for gaming because a toss up between Apple not willing to make them desirable, and over charging for their hardware. The last MBP I bought in 2016 was a $2000 model with integrated graphics, thats sad. The killer PC gaming rig I built in 2013 with a dedicated graphic card cost $1100. It’s still in use today, I’ve upgraded the graphic card twice since then.

That said, I love the Mac OS, but it’s likely for my nexy Mac will be a downgrade to a Mac Book Air or equivalent..

I don’t disagree that there are more games for PCs.

But I always find it funny when the folks who call Macs ”toys” are the same ones who use their PC primarily for gaming.

My productivity went up when I migrated away from PC to Mac and pushed the gaming on a PS4 a few years later.
It's also much nicer to play split screen Borderlands rather trying to make L4D2 happen on 2 macs with integrated graphics.

Hahahaha ...

"Macs are toys, I have a kickass gaming PC!"

"That sounds great, I'm using my Mac to write machine learning code to predict outcomes for pediatric traumatic brain injury ... enjoy your Cyberpunk 2077 ..."

Without a doubt, PCs are better suited for gaming. Developers are actively developing for PC/Consoles. The Mac OS at best is an afterthought.

That said, Macs for all serious computing, generally speaking they are more trouble free, more user friendly, at least in my experience. My PC is a better gaming machine, but I find myself cursing it semi-regularly, so there is a price to be paid. :)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I used to play lots of games on the apple l l, then my brother had a sega Genesis ... later on I played some games on a PlayStation and when I got my first job other than food service, I bought a Dreamcast which I played for years.

When WoW first came out, I was on it all the time on my PowerBook G4… but I got too addicted to it and stopped.

In the last 10 years, I have almost solely played games on iPhone or iPad.

U

User 189

Without a doubt, PCs are better suited for gaming. Developers are actively developing for PC/Consoles. The Mac OS at best is an afterthought.

That said, Macs for all serious computing, generally speaking they are more trouble free, more user friendly, at least in my experience. My PC is a better gaming machine, but I find myself cursing it semi-regularly, so there is a price to be paid. :)
Google Stadia (and game streaming in general) makes Mac gaming a whole lot more bearable.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to play lots of games on the apple l l, then my brother had a sega Genesis ... later on I played some games on a PlayStation and when I got my first job other than food service, I bought a Dreamcast which I played for years.

When WoW first came out, I was on it all the time on my PowerBook G4… but I got too addicted to it and stopped.

In the last 10 years, I have almost solely played games on iPhone or iPad.
WoW was a bit addicting... I played it 3 times for about a year each, the first 2 times.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I used to play games on the PC exclusively, but since I bought my Switch, I've been using it 99.9% of the time.

There's just something about laying back on the couch, TV on in the background, that's just...chillax.

U

User.45

I used to play games on the PC exclusively, but since I bought my Switch, I've been using it 99.9% of the time.

There's just something about laying back on the couch, TV on in the background, that's just...chillax.
I hate having that few hours to game and Steam feels like it has to refresh and I forgot my password again...
On a console I can play while standing, no updates just ones every few months.

Renzatic

Reaction score
I hate having that few hours to game and Steam feels like it has to refresh and I forgot my password again...
On a console I can play while standing, no updates just ones every few months.

I've never had too many problems with Steam. I set it to remember my password the first time I install it, and it logs me in no problem from that point on.

That said, I do tend to use GOG a lot more these days. There's no DRM to worry about, so all you have to do is launch the .exe oldschool style to play your games. Plus, the Galaxy client is a helluva lot smoother to use relative to Steam.

U

User.45

I've never had too many problems with Steam. I set it to remember my password the first time I install it, and it logs me in no problem from that point on.

That said, I do tend to use GOG a lot more these days. There's no DRM to worry about, so all you have to do is launch the .exe oldschool style to play your games. Plus, the Galaxy client is a helluva lot smoother to use relative to Steam.
To me, steam kinda became like netflix too. I just hate seeing all the games listed and feeling undecided or FOMO about my game of choice. But honestly, I just play BlackOps4 it's a nice 10 min thrill and I move on for the day. It takes longer for me to get into steam, etc.

U

User 189

To me, steam kinda became like netflix too. I just hate seeing all the games listed and feeling undecided or FOMO about my game of choice. But honestly, I just play BlackOps4 it's a nice 10 min thrill and I move on for the day. It takes longer for me to get into steam, etc.
I'd argue that game streaming services are closer to Netflix rather than Steam.

Renzatic

Reaction score

I have to admit, those 300+ meg updates you're forced to get when you first fire up Steam would be an absolute chore to go through if you don't have a fast internet connection.

Steam has become way too bloated for its own good. It's like iTunes in a way: a great program that tried to be too many things, and ended up being good at none of them.

U

User.45

I have to admit, those 300+ meg updates you're forced to get when you first fire up Steam would be an absolute chore to go through if you don't have a fast internet connection.

Steam has become way too bloated for its own good. It's like iTunes in a way: a great program that tried to be too many things, and ended up being good at none of them.
THe issue is that I use it too rarely, so it always starts up with those updates.

Renzatic

Reaction score
THe issue is that I use it too rarely, so it always starts up with those updates.

That actually might be better, since there are times when you'll see two or three a week. If you fire it up rarely, you'll only have to deal with it once.

The best thing to do is just turn it on, and leave it on.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Anyone else claiming tons of free games on the Epic Games Store via the web (just because temporarily free!) but refusing to install their client? 😅

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Only consoles, do not like gaming on computers, though I did some computer gaming decades ago.

All the games I'd be interested in are console (and many are console only), and developed to a console specification, so I don't need to worry about which video card, drivers, etc., it's a more simplified process for me and feels less like work. I plop down on a sofa, fire up a 65" 4K TV, with an AVR/speakers, etc., all setup for a maximum AV experience - and if it's [local] multiplayer, we can all find a comfortable spot, with plenty of display visibility.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else claiming tons of free games on the Epic Games Store via the web (just because temporarily free!) but refusing to install their client? 😅
The client is just a small program. No reason not to install it? I have one game I purchased there (Outer World) at a good price. And I scoop up their free games including Alien Isolation, although I had already already bought that on Steam on sale.
I've grabbed about 40 something free games from them, and have yet to play a single one.
This is basically me. I’m primarily on Steam.

Top Bottom
1 2