Madonna refusing to grow old gracefully

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I looked through the photos last night from the Met Gala. Almost every last one of those people is in costume. There were a handful wearing “traditional” formal wear. It’s not just Madonna.

For the unsubsidized price of attending a Met Gala, one should be able to wear whatever strikes one's fancy. On the other hand, most of the really outlandish stuff seen at those events is by designers whose work is the ticket in for people willing to wear it...

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Sorry for not putting up the VMAs picture. It was the most recent reminder, but it's not like she's dressed vastly different for her performances over the past decade.

I’d probably be WTF about anybody her age dressing like that, but with her in particular I see it as a shame that she’s not using her fashion and style icon status to innovate in a way that is more appropriate to her age group. I don’t know what that would be exactly, but it’s not what she’s doing.
"I just don't like it when I see it..."

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sorry for not putting up the VMAs picture. It was the most recent reminder, but it's not like she's dressed vastly different for her performances over the past decade.

I’d probably be WTF about anybody her age dressing like that, but with her in particular I see it as a shame that she’s not using her fashion and style icon status to innovate in a way that is more appropriate to her age group. I don’t know what that would be exactly, but it’s not what she’s doing.
Dude, you gotta work on adding context to your posts. ;)

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I get the point. For a person who defined style in her early days, this one feels like a swing and a miss. I have no problem with a woman her age dressing sexy. I just don't find that sexy. And again, that stupid pout makes the whole thing even worse to me.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever you want. I don't have any hang ups regarding age. The only thing that truly amuses me here is how much that hat reminds me of South Park.

South-Park-Fractured-But-Whole-Cat-Locations.jpg

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wear whatever you want. I don't have any hang ups regarding age. The only thing that truly amuses me here is how much that hat reminds me of South Park.

South-Park-Fractured-But-Whole-Cat-Locations.jpg

Good point. After the sour look on the face, the hat would be next to go.

Look, I'm not claiming I dress well. For me clothes shopping is usually some form of "here, I got this for you". I'll wear a pair of pants till they're not fit to wear in public, then I wear them for yard work till they fall apart or the neighbors start complaining. I still wear t-shirts that are 20 years old. So I try not to be too critical of what other people are wearing. I'm rarely successful, but at least I keep it to myself. But her outfit just looks bad to me. She's not a bad looking lady. It wouldn't have been hard to get me to say "WOW! 😲" Instead I think she looks like that cartoon dude in drag.🤷‍♂️

But if it's a look she likes, then who am I to judge? My eyes still swivel and there is a world of other things to look at, so it really doesn't matter I guess.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
But her outfit just looks bad to me. She's not a bad looking lady. It wouldn't have been hard to get me to say "WOW! 😲" Instead I think she looks like that cartoon dude in drag.🤷‍♂️

I disagree with the notion that people should dress more conservatively as they age, but the outfit looks bad to me too. I look at that it and wonder if she just was feeling nostalgic about her time with Dennis Rodman.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that people should dress more conservatively as they age...

I disagree. Those nasty women in their 50s who weren't wearing enough when I was in my 20s would still be nasty women not wearing enough now that they're in their 80s. When I'm in my 80s, those 110 year olds better not be showing any skin dammit or I'll shake my cane at them and call them a bunch of nasty old whores! :ROFLMAO:

It's not that I've become a better person over time. It's just the age at which you stop being hot has remained a constant distance from my own age.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
For the unsubsidized price of attending a Met Gala, one should be able to wear whatever strikes one's fancy. On the other hand, most of the really outlandish stuff seen at those events is by designers whose work is the ticket in for people willing to wear it...
Time they start calling it a costume party.
Good point. After the sour look on the face, the hat would be next to go.
Keep the hat. Get rid of the leotard.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Time they start calling it a costume party.

Keep the hat. Get rid of the leotard.

Maybe add a jeweled cane and a car with spinning rims?

Edit: On second thought, I should have gone with The Godfather on this one. "Leave the leotard. Take the hat."

For reference (best line in the entire movie):

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2